Cam for long recording (low bit rate) plus powerbank

^saint^

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi,
I've just got a project in which I need to record 14-15h simultaneous in few locations. First idea was to use Hero 2/3 but they are quite expensive and can only go down to 720p/30fps. So now I'm looking into dash cam for this task + powerbank (10 000+ mAh) + microSD (32/64 GB).

My requirements are:
  • minimum 15fps @ 800x600px, don't need HD,
  • wide angle 120+,
  • 5V USB powered while recording,
  • low bit-rate, it needs to record about 14-15h on 32/64GB card,
  • works in low light, it will record traffic from 6 AM to 6 PM (+about 2-3 hours for installation, multiple devices on different locations),
  • LCD for aligning or an easy way to do it in software, not removing the card and checking it in my notebook,
  • low power usage, needs to be able to run for 14-15h from a single powerbank, probably something like 10 000 - 12 000 mAh, so it needs to run for ~1:30h for every 1000mAh of internal battery,
  • works down to 0ºC = 32ºF, or at least 5ºC = 41ºF,
  • reliable,
  • timestamp,
  • width < 85mm, needs to fit into outdoor housing
  • price <200$.

Optional features:
  • doesn't cut video every few minutes, this is gonna be a nightmare to review the footage later on (client will be reviewing the footage),
  • retains settings after power loss,
  • starts recording when powered on, or one button press,
  • auto off LCD but it's probably standard.

I would be glad to read all the specs for those cam but the recording starts next Wednesday, I got this task literally today :( I would appriciate any help.

Last edited:
Mini 0803?

In 720, low quality setting it will record well over 30 hours on a 64GByte card. (You probably don't want lowest quality though, it is low quality!)

Only thing that doesn't really fit your spec. is the low power, but I've run mine for 4 hours on a 3500mAh USB battery so not too far out.

You might want to choose your memory card based on it's power requirement not it's price, they do vary quite a bit in power consumption but I don't know where you can get the specifications...

Mini 0803?

In 720, low quality setting it will record well over 30 hours on a 64GByte card. (You probably don't want lowest quality though, it is low quality!)

Only thing that doesn't really fit your spec. is the low power, but I've run mine for 4 hours on a 3500mAh USB battery so not too far out.
Thanks already looked at it (0803) but the power drain seemed ridiculous, but I'll look into it some more.
The quality needed is really low, the video is to count and categorize vehicles bike/car/truck/... on an intersection.

You might want to choose your memory card based on it's power requirement not it's price, they do vary quite a bit in power consumption but I don't know where you can get the specifications...
I usually go to manufacturer website and look for datasheets, but SD/microSD usually take up to 100 mA. I'll check before buying when I know if I have enough margin to go for smaller capacity.

Thanks already looked at it (0803) but the power drain seemed ridiculous, but I'll look into it some more.
The quality needed is really low, the video is to count and categorize vehicles bike/car/truck/... on an intersection.

I usually go to manufacturer website and look for datasheets, but SD/microSD usually take up to 100 mA. I'll check before buying when I know if I have enough margin to go for smaller capacity.
The stated power requirement is normally the maximum it will ever take when powering up with the screen on, screen backlight on full, scanning the card and initialising the GPS all with the most power thirsty card installed and charging the battery.

The real average power requirement will be very different for both camera and card.

100 mA for the card would be a significant proportion of the total camera power consumption which is why I mentioned it. I don't think power consumption is dependent on capacity in any way.

That doesn't help you very much but I can say that with a 4 year old 3500mAh battery I managed to run my 0803 for 4 hours at 1296 resolution and maximum quality. 720 presumably uses less power since there is less to write to card but I don't expect it will use a lot less.

Last edited:
That doesn't help you very much but I can say that with a 4 year old 3500mAh battery I managed to run my 0803 for 4 hours at 1296 resolution and maximum quality. 720 presumably uses less power since there is less to write to card but I don't expect it will use a lot less.
After reading some tests of GoPro Hero3/3+ runtime there actually is almost no difference.
Could you upload a low quality sample (for 30h recording on 64GB), I'm having trouble finding one?

I've managed to track the 0803 as A8 locally and it's cheap. Gonna look for some test and more specs.

Last edited:
After reading some tests of GoPro Hero3/3+ runtime there actually is almost no difference.
Could you upload a low quality sample (for 30h recording on 64GB), I'm having trouble finding one?

I've managed to track the 0803 as A8 locally and it's cheap. Gonna look for some test and more specs.
I believe it is the same processor in the GoPro so that is maybe not surprising.

I don't have any 720 video, I may record some later for you...

Have you considered using the time lapse feature of a camera? At 1 sec intervals you would use very little memory and would have still images

Have you considered using the time lapse feature of a camera? At 1 sec intervals you would use very little memory and would have still images
1 fps is way too slow for this sort of application.

After checking cam and powerbank prices I'm gonna get 15 000 - 30 000 mAh as the price difference is negligible and I'm gonna sleep better knowing I got a reserve.

My problem now is time, I'll order on Monday with next day shipping so I won't have time for anything other than charging.
Can I get a second opinion (mini 0803) on recording time with any powerbank, WDR-ON and the bitrate for 720p in NORMAL quality (this is there low-quality, right?) ?

Last edited:
This was taken at 720p "Normal" quality (which is the lowest).

It appears to me to have used a slower frame rate, maybe 15 Hz to keep the data rate down...

The file size for a 5 minute clip is 164,128KB = 32825.6 / minute = just over 30 hours on 64GB card.

Obviously YouTube will have made the quality even worse...

Bus driver being kind at the end of the video!

Actually, that's not fair, YouTube has made it a lot worse and hides the slow frame rate.

Here is a frame grab using Registrator Viewer:

Bus.jpg

Note that if you don't use 5 minute segments then there is a limit on file size, think it is the same for nearly all cameras as it is due to the file system. I'm not sure if that may affect your plans. You can always stick the 5 minute segments together with Registrator Viewer, in fact it is a good way to view them.

Thanks Nigel looks like I owe you a beer. The bus driver almost had you there ;). The limit for FAT32 would be 4GB.
Is the bit rate fixed or just an average?

Thanks Nigel looks like I owe you a beer. The bus driver almost had you there ;). The limit for FAT32 would be 4GB.
Is the bit rate fixed or just an average?
The bit rate is variable, but assuming that it is like the higher modes then it will only drop in the dark when it really runs out of detail to store. I doubt it will often store significantly more than that.

There is some software called A7-Tool which allows you to reconfigure the bitrates in the firmware and if they are fixed or not so you may be able to improve things significantly for your requirements, but it's not something to try overnight if it has to work tomorrow!

Can I get a second opinion (mini 0803) on recording time with any powerbank, WDR-ON and the bitrate for 720p in NORMAL quality (this is there low-quality, right?) ?
A couple of thoughts: I would get the GPS version simply so that the files always have the correct date and time - makes life so much simpler. Also I'll recommend Samsung memory cards, don't get a Sandisk card.
Thanks Nigel looks like I owe you a beer.
I seem to remember Poland having some good beers, but I get the impression your not Polish...

The Mobius with wide lens would have easily worked for this as well - not sure what the availability of those is like in Poland though.

You wouldn't have to worry about the LCD as you just point it where you want to record and it will capture everything in the vicinity.

For now the client went with Hero 3 (64GB) that they supplied, anyhow thanks for all your help.

If someone is interested 64GB cards record about 13h @ 720p/30, 10400mAh power bank keeps the cam alive for about 20+ hours (wifi only & then 13h recording). Internal (Hero 3) batteries are in various states of discharge.
Not quite happy with that setup as the Hero + android app doesn't always connect via wifi

[...] but I get the impression your not Polish...
Your instinct is way off on this one.

Last edited:
I'm in a need for a mini 0803 supplier, the units sold in Poland are fake. I'm most interested in cheapest version (no GPS, no internal memory), looking for a supplier in EU with a delivery time upto 7 days for 10-20 units. I've looked on amazon but can't be sure of delivery time.

Did you try @JooVuu they're in the UK and have genuine product
Thanks I'll check them out.

Since those cams are only needed for a day I would also be interested in renting them, does anyone provide such a service?

Hey,
Cheers @jokiin and hi @^saint^ . We have 0803s in stock but they are going quickly (not a marketing ploy just a fact). We have about 3-4 left and then it will be about another 10 days before we get our next batch. Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Back