Camera aimed more at parking

Rich.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

So i drive quite a modified truck with lots of accessories on it. I was robbed the other night and had some stuff stolen and i want to try and stop it happening again. I would also like the camera's for general dash cam use too as i can understand their effectiveness.

So, I'm looking at 2 dash cams (Or a 2 channel system) that has an equally effective parking mode.

I was originally planning on 2 0806 camera's with 2 x 64gb cards in each, so 128gb of recording per camera and just leave them connected to a permanent power supply so they record 24/7. Doing it this way should get me over 24 hours of footage per camera i think?

Then i started looking at something like the Blackvue DR650GW 2-ch as it won't cost any more than the above setup. But I'm a little unsure on this. I can only use a 64gb card per 2 camera's, so thats a 1/4 the capacity i could with 2 0806's. Im assuming that the blackvue's parking works on motion detectors and thus in theory will actually be able to record far more as i wouldn't need to leave it running 24/4. My concern with this is the rear camera will be recording through a tinted window, and I'm worried the motion sensor won't be effective enough. I also read that on a lot of camera's (Not sure if it effects the blackvue as i know its a little more upmarket) that you have to leave the camera in motion detect mode all the time (or switch between it every time you drive it instead of leave it parked) and that this isn't as good for use as a dash camera?

So my overall question is, for my application, what would you experts do?

Rich

I was originally planning on 2 0806 camera's with 2 x 64gb cards in each, so 128gb of recording per camera and just leave them connected to a permanent power supply so they record 24/7. Doing it this way should get me over 24 hours of footage per camera i think?
Welcome Rich,
I can put over 2 days of "full resolution" video on a single 64GB card using the 0806 to cover the whole weekend, you might like to take a look at: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/0806firmware-150323-dct-custom-bitrate-version.11232/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nigel, thanks for the welcome and advice. That link is very interesting, excuse me for being a bit slow, but how easy is it to swap between the different qualities? For example from parking mode to driving mode.

Thanks
Rich

Hi Nigel, thanks for the welcome and advice. That link is very interesting, excuse me for being a bit slow, but how easy is it to swap between the different qualities? For example from parking mode to driving mode.

Thanks
Rich
Well it's not really something you want to do every day:
  • Long press the menu (Up) button,
  • Press down button (To select video quality menu item)
  • Press OK to enter video quality menu,
  • Press Up or Down to select required quality.
  • Press OK to store the selection,
  • Long press the menu button to exit the menu.
But I will do it if I'm leaving my car somewhere dodgy for a long time, doesn't actually take long. Main issue is managing to read the tiny screen, in some ways the mini 0806 is a little bit mini! I do like to have the full video though rather than hope motion detection does actually switch on in time to record all the evidence, and of course somewhere busy motion detection may spend too long recording and loop around the card anyway.

You might have to stop and start the recording before and after that sequence, just a press of the OK button.

Your other issue is how long your vehicle battery will last running two cameras at around 400 milliamps each.

Its a shame it cant just be an option when ignition goes on and off!

I have dual batterys and a split charge system so that doesnt concern me too much.

Im in the same boat with the motion detector, i'd love to hear from someone how well it works on the blackvue.

Thanks Nigel
Rich

Its a shame it cant just be an option when ignition goes on and off!
That is what the optional mini 0806 Parking Guard bracket is supposed to do, automatically switch modes with ignition on/off, unfortunately it still isn't available.

I have heard about that! I was under the impression it would just activate a motion sensor mode though?

I have heard about that! I was under the impression it would just activate a motion sensor mode though?
The idea was that it put it in a low frame rate mode to save card usage but switched back to full speed mode for a while if the g-sensor detected a shock. Not sure how far they have got with it but presumably there are some issues that need sorting, maybe waiting for an update to the SDK before they can get the software to work.

Back