Camera with separate DVR for security.

jonw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I've searched through the forum (which is great btw) but still wanted to ask this.

I want to install a camera and not have to take it out again but many of these items look like it would attract thieves. I have seen some cameras though that have wired cameras (heads?) and a seperate DVR unit that I can install elsewhere. The added benefit is that the camera lead seems to be smaller than routing a 12v supply to the top of the windscreen as well :)

I saw this on ebay but the resolution doesn't look good.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290794627996? ... 1436.l2649

The main concerns for me are;
1) size/installation - smaller the better. few cables. secure.
2) day & night quality - there's no point in having it if I can't see the images clearly.
3) price - as low as possible, ideally < £150 (~$225)

A rear camera would be a bonus.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a dual channel dash cam and usually these types don't offer a great resolution, good quality video at least for the rear camera. But this is SD for both channels. Too much processing needed for a cheap chipset.
The idea seems to be OK also because offering a display for the recorder, but I think the suction cup idea is making the cameras too big. Maybe bigger than a normal small size camera with a small mount.

Say no to this camera and search one which have at least 720p. In 2013 we cannont accept anymore SD recordings, we want only HD.

enjoy,
Mtz

The only camera that comes anywhere close to your needs is the Lukas LK-7300G. It has decent quality and separate DVR. Unfortunately it is expensive and English support is somewhat limited.

Is there some technical limitations to video resolution with separate wired camera, is this the reason why manufacturers don't offer more HD cameras like this?
Personally i would like separate central camera unit.

Edit:
I believe this is sample from this camera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89AafNOYYgY
Actually if you install both cameras to front, one to left and the other to right, you could have easily 180 degrees of view...

That video is 720p on youtube and the discussed camera is only 480p.
Maybe you can think more with two front cameras: 3D video.

But seriously, I don't see a reason to mount two cameras on the front except some special situations like making movies or working on some special car.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:

Ok, this 720 i would accept, but 480 is way too bad.
It's a shame, because as you said there would be many things you could do with dual cameras, even if it would only be experimental purpose.

Okay thanks for the replies, I'll keep on researching for now then :)

cheers,
Jon

Mtz said:
Maybe you can think more with two front cameras: 3D video.

But seriously, I don't see a reason to mount two cameras on the front except some special situations like making movies or working on some special car.

enjoy,
Mtz

Well, after playing with my cheap little gadget (which introduced me in this interesting world of Dash Cams ... :) ) I am getting to understand better my needs and how thay cannot be satisfied by a single "do it all" camera.
I would like:
1) a serious wide angle front camera for catching everything goes on in front of my car (day and night)
2) a not-so-wide, not-so-bright front camera to properly read license plates (as Mtz shown with 808 vs ITB-100 comparison)
3) a wide angle camera for recording what's' going on inside the car, preferably on the driver side, for recording any potential encounter with police or with not-so-friendly people...
4) an average wide angle camera for catching what happens behind my car and potential hit and run drivers

Plus, it should be able to record events at least for some hours while parked in public areas... ;)

So, basically I would need a 4 channel recorder. They are available, and already made for vehicles (probably for public transport, busses, etc) but I could not find anything with a resolution higher than standard D1 for each channel: 720x576(PAL), 720x480(NTSC).

I guess that it is caused by the way video signal is sent from the camera to the recorder: it seems to be only a Composite Video, no S-Video, no Component.
On the other hand when the video sensor is on the same circuit board as the video processor chip (such as the Zoran, Ambarella, etc of our dash cams) it is possible to send "raw video data" (whatever they could be...) straight to the processor, avoiding the process of converting them into a low bandwidth analogue stream sent onto a few meters long cable, affected by attenuation, degradation, interferences and finally converting it to digital signal.

I suppose that until we do not have a cheap way to allow the single cameras to be "more intelligent" by putting the processing power onto them and then sending the digital stream to the recorder we will not see many implementations of standardised HD stand alone car DVR.

I mean, it is only a matter of costs: some years ago there was a high quality webcam made by Apple which connected to the Mac via Firewire instead of USB. And MiniDV cameras had firewire out for streaming the digital video to the PC / Mac / home video recorder.

Today we are seeing more and more ethernet/wireless IP cameras, but they still are not so cheap and for the HD version they cost even more. But technically it is feasible. Also cellphones an tablets can stream the video from their small camera, and it works pretty nice!

Oops! I've been a bit longer than expected.... :oops:

Cheers!
fez

4 channel is a no go.

Think to this:
1. front camera which can be rotated left-right, up down, so if you want to record yourself and/or the policeman coming to your window just rotate the camera
2. back camera
Some people want the front and back camera from the same unit because they can watch in the player both video. But, remember, this simultaneous playing is just for the player, if you want to use both videos for some accident scene, them are separated. So this is helping you only in watching. Also there is no reason to watch forever to your videos. After some curiosity this will become boring so the advantage for a PIP view will be lost.

If you want quality:
1. buy a 1080p camera for the front and if you really want GPS, be sure to have it. And if you really want to be rotated look at the mounting system before buying
2. buy a 720p camera for the back (like the korean Livue LB100 which is now just $100 and have a lot of settings) without GPS to be cheaper.

120 degrees angle is enough and recommended.
Good night quality is good to have even will have some problems with the blob around license plates.

The cameras are two types for me:
- good quality (korean recent models starting from 2012)
- lucky quality (chinese)

enjoy,
Mtz

Anyone Attach cell phone with DVR for security. Actually I have heard it is possible and prove very useful if you attach your mobile with you security system. so if some one have experience to attach then must share with me.

Back