Can I hard wire my camera into my cigarette lighter wires instead of fuse box?

sandiskman

Reaction score
Country
United States
The cigarette lighter in my car is only on when the car is on. There are 3 wires to it...I'm assuming the wires are positive, negative, and ACC.
If I buy the 3wire hard wire kit, can I splice the kit wires into these 3 wires instead of the fuse box? My concern is that if the cigarette lighter is off when the car is off, these wires will also be dead when the car is off and I won't be able to use parking mode.

The cigarette lighter in my rear seat is always on. Should I splice into that one instead? I'm not sure if there is an ACC wire. Prob not if it's just hard wired to the battery. My problem is the fuse box in my car is way in the trunk and the cables won't reach it.

Does your cigarette lighter have constant power after engine off?
As I know some car's cigarette lighter will have less 10 mins power supply after engine off.
You can connect the ACC cable to a constant power output fuse.

You can tap into those wires but you should still have fuses involved on the kit's power wires Also test the rear lighter circuit for a delayed-off function first. Just plug in the supplied PS where you can see it's pilot light from outside the car, close and lock the car, and come back in a half hour to see if the light is still on. Soldering is best for this. Positively do not use the "Scotch lock" clip-on type wire taps as those are unreliable, and using the wrong size can damage the wire you're tapping into.

Phil

The cigarette lighter in my center console is constant power on even when car is off. I have both my A129s plugged into it via one adapter with 2 usb ports. It works fine with parking mode; the only issue is that I do not have the low voltage safeguard that the hard wire kit comes from. My car is new and the battery is new. I don't think leaving both dash cames plugged in for an hour or two while I'm shopping or eating is gunna hurt the battery and I unplug it at night.

Back