Canada Snow Plow and Truck Crash

BC Rural

Reaction score
Country
Canada
CBC News - Snow plow and Truck Crash caught on pick up truck's dash cam. This video has been extremely difficult for me to watch as I pass these highway snow plows so often during winters here in Canada. The pick up driver was so fortunate to have only minor injuries.

A job I had which required driving only 8 - 100 kms to job sites and which required daily pre-job reports, always had "driving to and from the job site" at the top of the list as the day's "most hazardous" work, even though we were working with high voltages, huge and old turbines, heavy machinery, difficult communication situations and more and yet the huge parent company always considered "driving to and from the site" as THE most dangerous aspect of the job.

It certainly has been for this courier sub contractor. Stay safe everyone and don't take driving danger for granted.

Snow plow transformed into a nitro circus launch ramp :eek:

The semi snow plows i once overtook on the motorway plowing at 50 - 60 kmh, did not take too kind to me flying past them with snow occasional flying up over the hood of my little Opel car as i was doing 90 kmh.
My heart did also not like the 50 or so km driven in that manner, when i exited the motorway i had to pull over with chest pains and feeling funny ( i assume with the amounts of adrenaline and other brain chemicals in my blood )

Imagine someone going to be WALKING the unemployment line. Glad that driver walked away with minor injury. That was one hell of a crash.

Just go to prove, that yes you can literally be the worlds best driver, and still your chance of getting into a crash in traffic are the same as anyone else, maybe aside for the biggest idiots.

I have also often noticed in dashcam clips, that the driver see something about to go bad just in front of him, but he do not slow down one bit.
I have even seen cyclists and motorcyclists do this, the most vulnerable motorists out there, that really should be much more careful as they have no protection from a metal box and all its safety gadgets.

The way drivers are today i would not like to be a cyclist on a street, i would even be apprehensive about cycling on one of our many bicycle paths here, as a car could still climb the curb and hit you.
Thats how much trust i have in other drivers on the road.

TBH i dont think there was anything that plow driver could have done when that happen, the only chance as i see it would be that he spotted something in the pre startup vehicle inspection, but even here if he actually did that / are required to do that, things could still be missed.
So a pin or bolt in some linkage could be worn where you can not see it, or the material itself could also fail from fatigue.

Here in Denmark you are actually required by law to inspect your car / truck before setting off, the truck ( semi ) are of course a more comprehensive deal, but even a regular car you are required at least to make sure all the light are working,,,,,, and thats every time you get into a car.

Nobody do that of course, but the law still say so,,,,,,,,, which just say a little about the people in charge of Danish laws.

Just go to prove, that yes you can literally be the worlds best driver, and still your chance of getting into a crash in traffic are the same as anyone else, maybe aside for the biggest idiots.

I have also often noticed in dashcam clips, that the driver see something about to go bad just in front of him, but he do not slow down one bit.
I have even seen cyclists and motorcyclists do this, the most vulnerable motorists out there, that really should be much more careful as they have no protection from a metal box and all its safety gadgets.

The way drivers are today i would not like to be a cyclist on a street, i would even be apprehensive about cycling on one of our many bicycle paths here, as a car could still climb the curb and hit you.
Thats how much trust i have in other drivers on the road.

TBH i dont think there was anything that plow driver could have done when that happen, the only chance as i see it would be that he spotted something in the pre startup vehicle inspection, but even here if he actually did that / are required to do that, things could still be missed.
So a pin or bolt in some linkage could be worn where you can not see it, or the material itself could also fail from fatigue.

Here in Denmark you are actually required by law to inspect your car / truck before setting off, the truck ( semi ) are of course a more comprehensive deal, but even a regular car you are required at least to make sure all the light are working,,,,,, and thats every time you get into a car.

Nobody do that of course, but the law still say so,,,,,,,,, which just say a little about the people in charge of Danish laws.

Plow driver is liable, because it's his / her responsibility to inspect the vehicle. Now, if the plow is owned by government and worker is employed, then it's the government / cities job to ensure the vehicle is in working order. None the less, the liability remains the same. Driver that got hit isn't at fault.

For sure not, no one would expect that one coming.

Back