Can't read plate number even right next to me

justpython

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why is it that even when I'm right next to the other car I can't read the plate number? It's supposed to be HD right? Anyone else have this problem?

A sample image/video clip would help.

The fact you did respond must say something about you. Isn't your comment just a tad offensive against the rules of this site?

I cant see anything offensive by anyone m8? Has something been deleted?

Anyway, silly question I know, but you have removed the blue plastic off the lens yeah? You'd very surprised how many forget to do it (even me once).

Try resetting the camera, if the view is the same then there is a focus issue which should be covered under the warranty.

Do you have any daylight footage?

Paul.

Yes, I removed the plastic from the lens when I bought the camera 2 years ago.

Ah right. Tech support at Nextbase is your best port of call.

The fact you did respond must say something about you...
It does, it shows that I was trying to help but needed more information instead of guessing as to why the plate wasn't readable. There are multiple possible reasons and your initial post gave zero clues.

...Isn't your comment just a tad offensive against the rules of this site?
What exactly did you find to be offensive?..., and what rule do you feel it violated?

Well to be honest, I can't really read the bright neon sign over the store.... so, don't know what to say, perhaps the store lighting reduced the exosure for ya?

I can't see anything offensive at all.
That could be an offensive statement... in their new crazy world :)))) .
Jesus Christ!!!

Judging from the placement of the two vehicles, it look as if the speed cant have been that much different between the two.
At night you can some times catch a plate if there are a little light ( and there seem to be ) and the difference in speed between the camera car and target car are less than the crawl speed of a grown man.
Anything higher than that and the chance of a plate capture dwindle very fast at night.

Other observations from the "picture " is the camera have probably dropped the exposure timing all the way down to 1:30 second, just "fast " enough to allow for 30 frames getting recorded every second.
And so the only other option to reign in lighting challenges is changing the ISO of the camera, and that are probably all the way up, also to accommodate a bright picture, so if the camera drop ISO to compensate for the bright store sign, the rest of the footage would probably be darker than most would like, even if the brighter option are most often also not useful.

Take this video of mine, even if my speed are quite modest and the plates on the parked car are ultra readable EU plates, well it is still way too fast for the conditions.

This old video in the start at the roundabout the car i turn in behind you can actually read the plate AU 33 579
Later at 3:00 on the slow street with parked cars, well i almost capture the plate of the parked white car at 0.25 playback speed, but it is not there on the youtube video at least.

On that screenshot what was the resolution and settings ?

On some dashcams running at a higher FPS than native can insert a dummy frame that causes pseudo motion blur which that screenshot looks like to me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H 322GW 6
J 322GW 5
Back