Capacitor for K1S

MTNestr

Reaction score
Country
United States
How hard would it be to replace the battery in the K1S with a Capacitor? Where would I find one?

firmware would need to be modded to suit, even them the hardware is not designed for it anyway

firmware would need to be modded to suit, even them the hardware is not designed for it anyway

Thanks for the reply!

How concerned should I be with the battery that is supplied with the K1S? My main concern is a battery leak and possible fire.

there's no need to stick the guts of it in the window, you can hide it away so it can be kept cooler than the majority of other battery powered models, if the battery gets punctured there's a fire risk, if it's just heat affected they generally swell up long before that happens, it does use a standard GoPro battery so you can buy decent quality replacements if you're concerned that the included battery was low grade and more of a risk, the fact that you can hide it away and keep it away from the heat negates a lot of the risk

that said I wouldn't consider powering it permanently while parked, that can increase the risks of battery failure due to the added temps

Battery question: I tried connecting a 1F capacitor across the +/- terminals in the recorder. It did not charge. I also tried measuring the battery voltage - nothing.
Does the battery interface require some kind of handshake between the recorder and the battery's protection circuit before the battery and charger start working?

If so, I wonder if I could use an old battery, and replace the LiPo cell with the capacitor, leaving the battery safety circuit in place. to enable charging.
Does the safety circuit require battery voltage to start up, in which case it will fail of the cap voltage drops to zero.

I may have to buy a new battery and disassemble the original one to see what chip(s) are in it to find out what's going on in there :)

(This is for an Innovv K1, which I assume is the same base unit as the Koonlung K1s.)

Back