Capacitor question

adalex

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
I'm not sure how if it's possible or not but would it be possible to take a high farat super capacitor and attach a male 12v plug on one side and a female 12v on the other? I was thinking if that worked you could plug in the 12v cable for the camera into the female end and the male end into the 12v power source with the capacitor in between the ends and once the car was off it would run the camera longer until it died.

Sounds a bit experimental. You would be better off hard wiring via the PANOBDP MotoPark and using the shutdown timer and battery discharge prevention.

I'm not sure how if it's possible or not but would it be possible to take a high farat super capacitor and attach a male 12v plug on one side and a female 12v on the other? I was thinking if that worked you could plug in the 12v cable for the camera into the female end and the male end into the 12v power source with the capacitor in between the ends and once the car was off it would run the camera longer until it died.

Easier is to hardwire to fuse / relay ( dome light ? ) which already has a power shut down delay.

Hey pier28? I saw your post about a parking mode and that battery thing was exactly what I was picturing except a capacitor instead of a battery

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-31-14-13-24.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-31-14-13-24.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 11
Oh OK darn. But that was basically what I was picturing just a large farat capacitor in between the male and female 12v connectors. Thanks though

A capacitor will never hold enough energy for more than a few seconds.
And even if it could, one would need diode isolation to prevent the cap from back-feeding and energizing circuits in the vehicle such as the radio, ECU, etc...

Back