Capacitor Replacement - SD Card Error

ssb-tech

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My 550 keeps giving me the 'Please check SD card' speech. A power cycle and re-seat of the card seems to help for a while.
I dismantled it to see if there was anything visibly wrong with the solder pads where the card slot sits and it looks fine. I did notice the capacitor was bulging, and I do know failing caps can cause all sorts of weird issues. Has anyone experienced a failed cap resulting in the SD card error and resolved it with a new cap?

Yes, I've tried new cards.

Thanks.

My 550 keeps giving me the 'Please check SD card' speech. A power cycle and re-seat of the card seems to help for a while.
I dismantled it to see if there was anything visibly wrong with the solder pads where the card slot sits and it looks fine. I did notice the capacitor was bulging, and I do know failing caps can cause all sorts of weird issues. Has anyone experienced a failed cap resulting in the SD card error and resolved it with a new cap?

Yes, I've tried new cards.

Thanks.
Bulging caps not a good sign.
Tip - cut them off at the legs instead of trying to desolder. Then you can desolder the remaining legs without potential damage. ( I don;t know your skill level that's why I'm suggesting this.)

I would also look for dry solder joints on and around the SD circuit.

Bulging caps not a good sign.
Tip - cut them off at the legs instead of trying to desolder. Then you can desolder the remaining legs without potential damage. ( I don;t know your skill level that's why I'm suggesting this.)

I would also look for dry solder joints on and around the SD circuit.

Thanks. The socket pins look good. The capacitor I ordered is slightly too big so I'm waiting for the correct ones to arrive from an eBay seller half way across the world. Not sure why BlackVue didn't go with a more common size.

I'm feeling naked without the camera running. Can I run it without the cap in the circuit?

Thanks. The socket pins look good. The capacitor I ordered is slightly too big so I'm waiting for the correct ones to arrive from an eBay seller half way across the world. Not sure why BlackVue didn't go with a more common size.

I'm feeling naked without the camera running. Can I run it without the cap in the circuit?

I don't like using my car without a dashcam either. I feel your pain lol

Can't answer the question about the cap as I don't have a circuit diagram to check.
Once you fit the new cap let us know your results.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B20RRL DR550GW-2CH 17
Back