Car Audio/Head Unit

CheckYourLights

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front&Rear-SH800/ Front 2nd Vico-Opia 2
Hey everyone. I was hoping someone could provide a little help. As most of you know I own a 4th Gen Camaro. I would like to install a CB Radio inside, but space is a big issue in a tiny car. I have seen some guys install a double din touch screen head unit system with a little but of custom work to the bezel that goes around the radio and vent controls.

Here is how everything is now.
2zej6l0.jpg

That is indeed a Cassette Deck.
I have seen people do something like this.(Camaro/Square Vents)
2q8pqtl.jpg

and this (Firebird/Circle Vents)
15mdc1y.jpg

So since a double din head unit can fit I assumed (and i know i shouldn't do that, but it is to much fun not to)
That two single din units can fit in the opening. or in my case a single din car stereo and a single din cb radio.

So i was looking through head units, but I am having a hard time finding what i want. I just recently found out that they sell head units that are digital only (don't play CDs) witch I am guessing might give me very slightly more room to fit both.

How ever I would really like a unit that can display the clock as a 24 hour clock, and most literature on devices does not seem to mention this.

All in all i would like a unit that has Blue Tooth to play audio through my Android phone. An AUX front port in case there is a problem over blue tooth and be able to display the clock in a 24 hour format. It can play CDs, but would be great if it did not to save me a little more room.

Has anyone come across any units with the 24 hour clock choice?
Has anyone used a unit that does not play CDs? This would be my first and i have read some have AM/FM problems.

and in case anyone is interested after goofing around with a 102 inch steel whip on a trunk mount I came back to reality and decided on a four foot fire stick firefly that will look something like this when done.

zjhr14.jpg

Mechless units (no disc) are generally the same size as it's an industry standard sizing

Have you checked if there's a replacement facia to suit double din for your vehicle? Might be worth checking Crutchfield or similar to see what they list for it

Well i guess we will have to rename you the Bandit, tho it isent a Black and gold Trans Am you drive ;)

I assume bluetooth is pretty common these days in headunits, but i havent been keeping up the last couple of years.
I allways liked pioneer headunits.

i have a smaller than DIN CB radio, its a Hotline HL-1140 a/f - Zodiac M 3000 - MAYCOM EM 27 ( many names )
Its 150 x 46 x 156 mm
em27cb.jpg

My radio have the limiter removed on the VFO witch mean it have a larger range ;) i havent really used it aside for a fjew houers around 1994 or so.
It is a nice "Little" radio witch i can recomend if you feel like a smaller radio one day, it is 40 channel / 4 watt (26.965 - 27.405 MHz )
Removing the limiter on VFO open up 23.615 - 30.555 MHz if i am not mistaking.

I prefer the VHF/UHF radios, but i dont have a licence for those, not that it ever held me back ;) same with the HF gear i ran SSB on.

I found this Hope this helps
Thanks GJHS. I herd a few owners mention the 100 dollar bezel. I was hoping i could just buy one already set, but i seen it says then want you to send one in maybe i'll go junk yard hunting when the weather clears and buy one to send in. I hate sending away my only part in case something happens in the mail.

:EDIT:
I was looking to see if I could get a Uniden PRO520XL. I want something with a RF Gain, and if need be i can buy a mic that has adjustable mic gain on it. Your radio looks neat kamkar1, but it is of course illegal in my country ether all together or without a HAM licenses witch i am working on studying for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks GJHS. I herd a few owners mention the 100 dollar bezel. I was hoping i could just buy one already set, but i seen it says then want you to send one in maybe i'll go junk yard hunting when the weather clears and buy one to send in. I hate sending away my only part in case something happens in the mail.

:EDIT:
I was looking to see if I could get a Uniden PRO520XL. I want something with a RF Gain, and if need be i can buy a mic that has adjustable mic gain on it. Your radio looks neat kamkar1, but it is of course illegal in my country ether all together or without a HAM licenses witch i am working on studying for.
They sell them without sending yours for $140. Your plan of finding a cheap one and then spending $70 is better. What's going to cost big bucks is the radio, though it is one sweet thing when it's complete. Good luck, have fun

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I decided on the Pioneer DEH-X6600BT. My brother has a lower end version without blue tooth, and it displayed 24 hour clock. I found a display unit in a retail store here and it also displayed 24 hour clock. Since you mentioned that Mechless units are usually the same size jokiin I figured why limit myself.

My brother had the lower end DEH-X3600UI physically in his Firebird so i know it should fit in my Camaro
(He took it out because he had a problem with his power antenna and my Camaro isn't power antenna.)

I then decided on the Uniden PRO520XL Compact CB Radio for its size while still retaining an RF Gain. I wanted something a little more modern looking, like the Uniden Bearcat 680, but it seems a little taller then the 520 unless i read the sizing wrong and I like having my RF Gain on a knob over hitting a button and then turning the knob so I can tune it in a little quicker.

My final step here is to do some research in to some decent but not to pricey car speakers. I want something decent, but my rattling the hatch glass days are over.

Okay so I have all the parts except the speakers. I talked to a guy that does Car Audio wiring and everything looks like it will fit from a size and space perspective, but since this is not a run of the mill everyday head unit install I am not sure how to bolt it up.

Running the numbers everything will fit in an unmodified stock bezel. I was hoping to bolt the stock bracket to the CB up side down and bolt it to the radio cage, but there is almost no clearance in the cage to do so, and the person I talked to said that it could cost a bit in labor to get something figured out and bolted in to keep things from moving around.

If I could figure out a way to secure everything and get a custom plastic plate to cover the gap between the radios I would be set.

20ae6x5.jpg

I think the CB is compact enough to fit in this area witch is covered by plastic strip and my fog light and traction control button. So one idea to to re locate the ASR(Traction Control) button and Fog light button to the 2nd ash tray.

(My first ash tray already has been removed and replaced with something else)

Then see if installing the radio with a regular single din kit with a pocket installed up side down so the pocket is on top will provide a use able mounting plate from the install kit to bolt the CB to.

13zajkg.jpg

Here is the un modified stock bezel in place with out the radio. Could maybe install the head unit on top and the CB underneath and drill into the metal around the air unit being careful to not hit any wiring of course.

Just a small update for anyone who is interested. This project is moving along slowly. Winter slows me down a bit because I don't like to bring the car out of the small garage it is in, but chipping away a little is better then nothing.

With the head units DIN cage in place the top of the CB Radio is hidden by the bezel. How ever if i remove the head units DIN cage everything sits nicely with one small problem.

2vsow1j.jpg

The head unit sticks out a little too far because of this piece.
15fq746.jpg

Witch is just plastic and i am hoping I can cut without issue. When i slide the radio where the CB is it slides all the way back, but the CB gets stuck and rubs against the head unit in this configuration, plus the head unit is bigger and would weigh down on the little CB more.

33k5b42.jpg

So now I just need to figure out how to mount everything in their decently. Unfortunately the only thing in my head without completely hacking things up is some good strong dual lock tape.

Dual lock tape the head unit to that plastic covering over the wires and dual lock tape the CB to that and make a plate to cover the side gaps.
This way the inside of the dash is not all hacked up, but nothing moves arround to much unless I really force it.

:EDIT: i just bought my first little pack of dual lock tape. I've never had any before. I always used to use Velcro. I wanted to test and see how strong it was in case it does indeed come down to being the mounting choice of my radios.

I have another vehicle witch also has a CB radio installed. I would Velcro the mic holder because I did not want to drill in the dash because it is a little newer, but the Velcro would always fall off after a day or two and feel loose even after i just applied it. This dual lock tape was so strong that I gave it a little tug and it started to actually pull my plastic radio bezel away from the dash. So I will keep an eye on it and see how it holds up.

Last edited:
Bump for install.
2i9njp.jpg

Everything fit well now I just need to cover the gaps. I'm thinking about going to a salvage yard and finding the a matching color trim panel and cutting it to fill in the gap, but everything is wired up and works. The Bluetooth seems to work well and I was picking up other drives on the CB witch is wired to an external speaker behind my seat.

10xv7d2.jpg

My Dash is a bit rough textured so while the mic is Dual Lock taped here because I did not want to have holes in the Dash it is a little loose. Might have to figure something more secure out.

2i71zes.png

I bought a second under panel where it goes across under the lights and says Camaro because I had to drill into it to make sure the antenna was secure and wanted to keep my stock one in case i sale my car down the road to someone other then Burt Reynolds. I've seen a few other Camaros with some work done that had the panel blacked out.

It's a bit of a throw back to the old COPO cars to say hey there's something under here.
(mine is intake/headers/exhaust/ rebuilt rear end.) So i figured I would give the look a shot and see how I like it. I like it so far, but I know it is not for everyone. Might shoot the spring flat black to match.

While i know that it is odd to have a CB radio antenna and spring on the back of a Camaro or have a miss matched panel something else is also a miss in picture three and I am curious if anyone will happen to catch it. You might have to be really in to Camaro details to notice.

Parts used in case anyone is interested.

Headunit: .Pioneer DEH-X6600BT (Chosen for Bluetooth and 24 hour clock display)

CB Radio: PRO520XL (Chosen for its compact design while still retaining RF Gain control)

Antenna: Firestik Firefly (Chosen because it was lighter then a regular Firestik and still tune-able)

Antenna mount: Firestik SS-174 Stainless Steel Hood/Trunk Channel Mount

Spring: Firestik SS-3H

Wiring: FireStik K-8R18 18 foot Fire-Flex coax cable with Fire-Ring (Chosen for clearance issues)

they have cabs for small cars and cars that want it hidden

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00005N5WW one of many out there

you mount the box in the trunk the mic has all the controls

if you look there are option out there i just dont remember they key Google or ebay search to bring them up but lots out there and look less like **** than that even if you mod a dash

they have cabs for small cars and cars that want it hidden

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00005N5WW one of many out there

you mount the box in the trunk the mic has all the controls

if you look there are option out there i just don't remember they key Google or ebay search to bring them up but lots out there and look less like **** than that even if you mod a dash

I looked at that a few times. I'd like to give it a try at some point. Maybe this summer i'll pick one up. Do you have any experience with a trunk mount unit?

The Camaro does not really have a trunk. It's like a deep well and the T-Tops go in it when you take them off. Really not a car you would do any shopping in.

I would have loved to stick a 980SSB i, but it was way to big. Love it in my other vehicle.

no but cobra seem to be the best rated and most all cobra cbs are good

here is a list of some of the ones out there

http://www.bing.com/search?q=hideaw...RM=QBRE&cvid=d749b9cf6dbb4417b30e4c093c5a3ed1

the main units on some ar smaller than a regular cb

center counsel glove box

if no power seats hide it under one of the seats

be creative like you did for your dash it will come together

just the hand sets tend to be huge on then because the controls on them

good luck

Back