Car Guys & License Plate Frames?

extraoneya

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2 Finevu Pros for front & rear
For a long time, I've tried to show the world how witty, clever & good looking I am by having custom license plate frames on my cars.

There's plenty of them around in Southern Calif. They display information about the car, owner or some political or world view. On classic or weird cars, most folks identify the vehicle.

I don't know if these r popular in other countries, but if they r, please share them here.

Here's my latest >> (for their matching cars, see the What car do you drive? thread

If this is a dumb idea for a thread....blame it on me missing my last electric shock therapy session.

DSC00196.JPG

It's chrome, the camera picked up the surrounding color

DSC00194.JPG

DSC00185.JPG

We just got a new law here, licenseplates now have to be bolted to the car due to plates getting stolen and used in some form of crime.

I cant se the use for this law, as with a small electrical screwdriver 2 selftapping screws can be undone in a fjew seconds, not that it have to be done that way as unscrewing a licenceplate can be done quiet and in darkness so no need to rush the job.

I like those license plate bezels :)

It's neat to see different frames, but i'm more of a clear shield guy myself. I get weird about having a plate that is all gunked up with road dirt on any of my cars so that is the first thing I do. One of my also has a back up camera so even if I wanted I don't think i could frame it.

Liked for Datsun's El Camino as most people here know I am a huge Chevy El Camino/Holden UTE fan.

It's neat to see different frames, but i'm more of a clear shield guy myself. I get weird about having a plate that is all gunked up with road dirt on any of my cars so that is the first thing I do. One of my also has a back up camera so even if I wanted I don't think i could frame it.

Liked for Datsun's El Camino as most people here know I am a huge Chevy El Camino/Holden UTE fan.
In some states the plastic covers are illegal, such as CA, especially the tinted ones.

We just got a new law here, licenseplates now have to be bolted to the car due to plates getting stolen and used in some form of crime..............snip.........

gee.....I thought u guys had less crime then us?.....I did have a plate stolen once in the late 1980s, but it's fairly uncommon here.

So far, it looks like the frames r a USA type of thing.

Oh no. That poor thing is cooking.
gee.....I thought u guys had less crime then us?.....I did have a plate stolen once in the late 1980s, but it's fairly uncommon here.
A family member had a personalized plate stolen in the 80s and someone a few towns over had one stolen last year while at work.
We just got a new law here, licenseplates now have to be bolted to the car due to plates getting stolen and used in some form of crime.
My plates have always been bolted on how else would you secure them?

We're allowed number plate holders here, never seen anything like this though :)

People usually try and make there actual number plate fancy, i.e

mag1c2.jpg

G5POT.png

Your looking at paying over £100k for these though. I looked at my name B7 RON, it was £30k :eek:

Sadly not extraoneya, most vestern European countries have seen a influx of theves and such from the Eastern countries. even i jail here in Denmark you can make a months pay compared to ther home country, and the jails here are like 5 star hotels compared.

Plus offcourse the general Danish moral decline, but that is set by the guys at the top ( politicians ) and then filter Down thru society.

C.Y.L they allso used to be screwed directly on here, but i guess that changed in the 90 ties as for a long period the plates have been inserted into a plastick bedzel, not unlike your metal ones, but that bracket is not designed to hold the plates thight as they are just clicked into them and the plates can be removed without tools.

I am not sure if it have been the law here to use those plastic bedzels, but i have a sneaky feeling some politicians have gotten together to make a bedzel Company and then made the law for ther use.

6732.jpg

Regarding custum license plates the prize here are 12,000 Dkkr and you then have the right to drive with those plates for 8 years, after 8 years you will have to renew witch will set you back 11,000 Dkkr.
You will allso have to renew if you change car and want to use the same plates on the new car.

That's cool I've never seen a plate snap in like that. Thanks for the picture

We're allowed number plate holders here, never seen anything like this though :).......snip.....

G5POT.png

Your looking at paying over £100k for these though. I looked at my name B7 RON, it was £30k :eek:

Funny plate.
Calif. DMV would have not issued that. If they did & recognized it later, they would have recalled it.

Am I reading u'r prices correctly?.....r u saying £30,000 £100,000 :eek:

Funny plate.
Calif. DMV would have not issued that. If they did & recognized it later, they would have recalled it.

Am I reading u'r prices correctly?.....r u saying £30,000 £100,000 :eek:

Yup, see here:

Names can be from £100k

https://www.newreg.co.uk/secure/buy/index.html?registration=MAR 1E

The shorter the plate the more expensive, this one is £180k

https://www.newreg.co.uk/secure/buy/index.html?registration=5 E

Yes... That's just shy of $300,000 dollars converted lol

It's the celebs that buy them and the Arabs tend to buy them when they come to London in the summer

ARABS.jpg

Cant help wondering if the owner of the car used the licence plate G 5POT because he could never find it (the car that is ) :D oh well never mind there is always public transport :)

Last edited:
wish some top gear fan would make an offer for my stig number plate...

I had a 1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, yellow with the sunroof, loved that car, but had to sell it when I retired and moved over here. It had a plate surround on it that said "Over 100,000 miles of Pontiac Excitement". The plate was a custom one that read DILYSI, or Drive IT Like You Stole It!

Back