Car spins out and crashes in front of truck - Caught on dash cam

Yawz

Reaction score
Country
United States
The kids in the white vehicle are lucky the truck driver was able to stop his rig, if not it would have been a worse day for the kids.

I don't see anything. I don't think it's being blocked by my computer, at least I hope not. ;)

I don't see anything. I don't think it's being blocked by my computer, at least I hope not. ;)
I reside in the USA, I am able to view video with no problem.
Which web browser are you using? The reason I ask is IE which I have used for many years started not playing any videos, so I switched to Chrome. No problems with Chrome.

Firefox. Had an add-on called Disconnect (?) on Win7 laptop. Thought I got rid of it. Try it on the Mac at home in a bit. Tried Chrome for a bit on the laptop, what a disaster. Of course my internet connection at home went down a coupla days ago, they're switching to a new system. Right now I'm on a completely different WiFi system. Think it's time to trash it all and start with a whole new system. Thanks.

Got home, turned on the I-mac, there's the video. Got to find out whats wrong with the laptop. Nothing a replacement wouldn't cure.

Last edited:
What gets me is the way the two seriously heavy vehicles in the middle lane seem to be having no problems overtaking/undertaking the smaller, lighter vehicles in lanes 1 and 3!

Really grinds my gears the odd times I get to take my bus on the superslab & I find muppets in cars driving slower than me - until I overtake, at which point, they accelerate - then, when I pull back into lane 1, they slow down to 50/55mph.

I can't say for over there, but in the US, many trucks have a tendency to slow down while going uphill, then exceed the speed limit considerably on the downhill. I can be on cruise control at less than 5 above the limit and it would take a couple of small hills before we can put enough distance between us. Ofcourse there are also the "odd" car drivers who slow down and match the speed of the other lane for no reason, then as soon as you get past them, they speed up and match you. Sometimes, I wonder if the Mad Max driving methodology wouldn't be all that bad considering.

KuoH

Really grinds my gears the odd times I get to take my bus on the superslab & I find muppets in cars driving slower than me - until I overtake, at which point, they accelerate - then, when I pull back into lane 1, they slow down to 50/55mph.

it almost seemed like the driver of the white car crashed on purpose. either that or the passenger started fighting with them or grabbed the wheel out of their hand. hell of a hit against the retaining wall - lucky they didn't go over.

The initial 3 lane change was an insane move. I think she was trynig for 4 lanes, but saw something at the last moment. The rest is what happens when an inexperienced drived goes in a slide for the first time: repeated over corrections of increasing magnitude until a spin. My experience with this was on snow with radial front tires and bias ply snow tires in the rear, went through about two cycles before my dad grabbed the stearing wheel & ended the overcorrections. I haven't repeated that mistake since. I think drivers education should include how to handle a slide, there would be fewer accidents like this one.

Tyres that weren't completely bald would have gone a long way toward avoiding the spin

I watched the video a few times, trying to figure out just how he managed to lose control so easily in warm, dry conditions. You're probably right-- bald tires would explain the loss of control in an otherwise-routine lane change maneuver. The driver was also swerving a bit in the video leading up to the crash, so his competency or sobriety may not have been the best, either.

I did a fair bit of driving this weekend, and changed lanes (mind you, just one lane at a time) with *at least* that kind of lateral speed. I drive an SUV (high center of gravity), and the roads at this time of year are a bit cold here (tires stiffen up = less grip)... My tires are in good shape, though.

Firefox. Had an add-on called Disconnect (?) on Win7 laptop. ...

Firefox + Disconnect + Win7 + laptop is not what's causing the issue. Running the exact same combination and video displayed with no issues.

Got rid of disconnect, no more problem. Seems I always had to disable part of it to watch videos on DCT & Techmoan. That's the second blocking program I've had, and the last. Let people watch my surfing habits, I'm done caring about it anymore. :cool:

i use ghostery and adblock plus in chrome, and chrome itself has the option to prevent flash video from auto-playing. very useful for annoying flashy/noisy ads. no issues watching YT videos.

I can't say for over there, but in the US, many trucks have a tendency to slow down while going uphill, then exceed the speed limit considerably on the downhill. I can be on cruise control at less than 5 above the limit and it would take a couple of small hills before we can put enough distance between us. Ofcourse there are also the "odd" car drivers who slow down and match the speed of the other lane for no reason, then as soon as you get past them, they speed up and match you. Sometimes, I wonder if the Mad Max driving methodology wouldn't be all that bad considering.

KuoH
I have no idea how limiters work, but the maximum I can ever get out of my bus is 62mph/100kph - believe me, I've tried.
On a local dual carriageway, one of the entry roads is quite a steep hill and even delaying the gear change won't get me more speed. The vehicle seems to have a top speed/rpm for each gear

What gets me is the way the two seriously heavy vehicles in the middle lane seem to be having no problems overtaking/undertaking the smaller, lighter vehicles in lanes 1 and 3!

heavy trucks that are going thru an area (thru traffic) stay in the middle lane if there is one so as not have to deal with poorly merging traffic that takes away there speed and momentum, not too mention providing more opportunity for possible accidents!

The car also had 4 people in it. Weight might play a role in a weaker car. They didn't have the power or tyres to correct themselves.

heavy trucks that are going thru an area (thru traffic) stay in the middle lane if there is one so as not have to deal with poorly merging traffic that takes away there speed and momentum, not too mention providing more opportunity for possible accidents!
But in this country, the law says you must keep left on a motorway unless overtaking (or unless the inside lane is for a dedicated exit)

I wish it was a law here in NZ, it's a road rule, but not an enforceable law like in the UK

Might I suggest you visit a military surplus location and see if they have any cannons for sale. Should be able to fit one to a bus, eh ? That might take care of those pesky little cars. :mad: It's been a few years, but the rental trucks in the US would allow you to accelerate as fast as you want, then literally force the gas pedal up when you reached approx. 67 mph. I'm also curious if the white car was using cruise control at the time.

Back