Car Turning Left Almost Hits Pedestrian

thomas-dash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo 4k, Viofo MT1
A car is turning left into a shopping center while a pedestrian walks behind another car to cross the parking lot entrance. Fortunately, the pedestrians is able to get out of the way, but should probably pay more attention at parking lot entrances.

The pedestrian was clearly in the wrong. He should never be crossing directly in front of a car exit/entrance. He's lucky he didn't get whacked!

The pedestrian was clearly in the wrong. He should never be crossing directly in front of a car exit/entrance. He's lucky he didn't get whacked!
You have tuff rules in the USA.

In Australia, you are not allowed to run over people under any circumstances. The driver is responsible for controlling their car at all times.

Under the Danish traffic code the pedestrian have the right of way,,,,, that is at the 2 corners for that entrance, when he like that dodge behind cars then it is maybe a other matter.
But ! you sure as hell not touch a pedestrian with your car here, that mean you have to retake the license both theoretical and practical test.

IMO he should have waited for the car blocking his path to have cleared out, then went strait over, and then over there have entered turned left into the parking lot / entrance of the place as there dont appear to be a dedicated entrance for pedestrians.
There probably also are a entrance for walking people, but probably in a place further away, and the guy like most other people are lazy and so just Jaywalk his way around the problem.
And IMO if you go creative with rules, then you better bloody well be mindful of your own safety, as the other people are probably sticking to the code and so not anticipating your shenanigans

This, and Cyclists doing about the same, one of the main reasons i got into dashcams, cuz if i get into a alteration with one of those, i will go all the way to not have to retake my license at the account of some lawbreaking SOB

If i am a idiot driver, then i deserve what is coming, and i am good with that

If the pedestrian didn't have his face stuck in his phone things would have been completely different. Smart phones make dumb people - sometimes.

The pedestrian has the right of way here in the UK!

Pedestrians technically have the "right of way" in the U.S. too. But if a pedestrian darts out from behind a car and gets whacked because he wasn't able to be seen, guess what... Although he (or his estate) may claim he was right... he could end-up being "dead-right"!

There are many dumb pedestrians and distracted drivers that result in disastrous outcomes! And that will never change...

Pedestrians have the right of way in Michigan as well. Unfortunately, most think that means all the time under any circumstances - and that's totally wrong.

In order to have right of way pedestrians have to be where they are legally and exercising reasonable caution - meaning if they're crossing against a light, jaywalking, not looking because their face is in their phone, etc. they are at fault, at least partially.

In the case in the video chances are the ped would be considered at least 50% at fault if something had happened.

most think that means all the time under any circumstances - and that's totally wrong.

Yup same i see here, not least cyclists you really see those push the envelope, and thats okay too as long as i dont get to suffer other than part fund their hospital stay thanks to the Danish public healthcare.
IF ! they should tax something / tax mere here, how about putting a tax on stupid.

I like the saying that there are lots of people in the cemetery who had the right of way. Even if you have the right of way as a pedestrian, or operator of any vehicle for that matter, you're not magically exempt from the laws of physics and getting hit by an object with a lot more mass is going to do some damage.

I found this which was specific to Hawaii since this was filmed in Hawaii. If it's still valid, then it would seem that the pedestrian would have been at fault since he was crossing a roadway outside of a marked or unmarked crosswalk:

Pedestrians intending to cross a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

I looked at the longer clip I have and it seems he's coming from the driver's side of the vehicle that was parked in the street in the No Parking zone and later walked to a vehicle in the parking lot on the right.. There's a sidewalk next to the vehicle where he was coming from, so either he parked that car or he crossed the street I was initially driving on.

The car leaving the shopping center was blocking the sidewalk in order to see around a row of parked cars, so it seems he choose to walk behind the car instead of either waiting or walking in front of that car in the street(bad idea in Hawaii.) Either way he was going to walk up the ramp and to the right to get to where he was going.

No, but the car driver is supposed to give way in that circumstance, however in this case I think that since the car driver couldn't see that the pedestrian was crossing or wanting to cross, as the car made the turn, there was no need to give way, although as soon as the pedestrian was visibly crossing they should both have made efforts to avoid a collision, so they would both have had to take some blame.

As I understand it pedestrians do not have carte blanche and say walk right out into the road and blame the driver of a vehicle in an accidnet. Pedestrians also have to take respocibility for their actions.

New rules in the UK specifically give the pedestrian 'right of way' in this situation, and turning into any road.

New rules in the UK specifically give the pedestrian 'right of way'

The changes to the Highway Code are a reminder to all road users to behave responsibly with a mutual respect for each other’s safety

However, the Highway Code does conclude by station, 'The hierarchy does not remove the need for everyone to behave responsibly'.
And this

Who has the right of way is someone is driving a car and turning into a road and there is a pedestrian waiting to cross?
Arguably the most well-publicised new rule – that of giving pedestrians waiting to cross a road right of way – is correctly identified by two-thirds (67%) of Britons, rising to three-quarters of drivers (75%).
My underline.

You can not just wander off the pavement and expect a car to stop in less then a second. Look around you and suss the situation. Do not cause an accident.

Here in SC USA a pedestrian used to have right-of-way always, but the law has changed and any pedestrian who is not following the rules is just out of luck now. You are permitted to cross or be on a roadway if:

1- It is at a crosswalk and the pedestrian is completely within the marked borders obeying any signals permitting them to be there. If there are no signals, then the pedestrian is to enter the crosswalk only when the traffic signal for the road paralleling their crossing is green, or if there is no traffic coming from either way on the road they are crossing for at least one normal city block distance or equivalent.
2- They are crossing at an intersection without a crosswalk while still following those rules above. They must cross only close as is practical to the intersection.
3- They are crossing a road where there is no crosswalk or intersection within a one city block distance or the equivalent, and there is no traffic approaching from either direction that their cro0ssing may impede. It is up to the pedestrian to cross only where they have enough visibility to ensure they will not interfere with traffic.
4- Pedestrians are not permitted to walk on a roadway or within the standard lane right-of-way when there is a sidewalk available on either side of the road. If it is safe to do so, pedestrians are to avoid walking in roadways as much as is practical. If they must walk in the roadway, they are to do so only on the extreme edge of the pavement in the lane facing oncoming traffic.
5- All pedestrians are always compelled to wait till an intersection is clear of any cars in or approaching their path before entering the roadway.

Except in emergencies or where directed to do so by qualified authorities, no other use of any roadway by pedestrians is permitted and this is to include the road right-of-way where practical.

If this video had happened here, the pedestrian would have been at fault as they should have been crossing where the stationary white car was and not behind it since that is what is close to the intersection. They should have also yielded to the car turning in which should have been visible to them had they been paying attention, although that would have been a judgement call of who was there first, car or pedestrian? Although that stationary car was also breaking the law by being so far forward as to block a pedestrian's path, the pedestrian was still to yield to it. With the massive growth of my area we're seeing more pedestrians getting run down, usually at night and often the pedestrian was impaired by drugs or alcohol, and as often as not where the pedestrian had a crosswalk or intersection nearby but did not use it. Any death or injury is sad, but nobody should ever have the right to do as they please without regard to others which is what happens where pedestrians always have the right-of-way. If everyone is to be safe there must be rules for everyone to follow and stay within or the result will become chaos and anarchy, neither of which is suitable for a society of people.

Phil

Here in SC USA a pedestrian used to have right-of-way always, but the law has changed and any pedestrian who is not following the rules is just out of luck now. You are permitted to cross or be on a roadway if:

1- It is at a crosswalk and the pedestrian is completely within the marked borders obeying any signals permitting them to be there. If there are no signals, then the pedestrian is to enter the crosswalk only when the traffic signal for the road paralleling their crossing is green, or if there is no traffic coming from either way on the road they are crossing for at least one normal city block distance or equivalent.
2- They are crossing at an intersection without a crosswalk while still following those rules above. They must cross only close as is practical to the intersection.
3- They are crossing a road where there is no crosswalk or intersection within a one city block distance or the equivalent, and there is no traffic approaching from either direction that their cro0ssing may impede. It is up to the pedestrian to cross only where they have enough visibility to ensure they will not interfere with traffic.
4- Pedestrians are not permitted to walk on a roadway or within the standard lane right-of-way when there is a sidewalk available on either side of the road. If it is safe to do so, pedestrians are to avoid walking in roadways as much as is practical. If they must walk in the roadway, they are to do so only on the extreme edge of the pavement in the lane facing oncoming traffic.
5- All pedestrians are always compelled to wait till an intersection is clear of any cars in or approaching their path before entering the roadway.

Except in emergencies or where directed to do so by qualified authorities, no other use of any roadway by pedestrians is permitted and this is to include the road right-of-way where practical.

If this video had happened here, the pedestrian would have been at fault as they should have been crossing where the stationary white car was and not behind it since that is what is close to the intersection. They should have also yielded to the car turning in which should have been visible to them had they been paying attention, although that would have been a judgement call of who was there first, car or pedestrian? Although that stationary car was also breaking the law by being so far forward as to block a pedestrian's path, the pedestrian was still to yield to it. With the massive growth of my area we're seeing more pedestrians getting run down, usually at night and often the pedestrian was impaired by drugs or alcohol, and as often as not where the pedestrian had a crosswalk or intersection nearby but did not use it. Any death or injury is sad, but nobody should ever have the right to do as they please without regard to others which is what happens where pedestrians always have the right-of-way. If everyone is to be safe there must be rules for everyone to follow and stay within or the result will become chaos and anarchy, neither of which is suitable for a society of people.

Phil
In case you don't already know, California swings a little different... the pedestrian, unless not visible to drivers, has the right of way. - - A pedestrian could be walking down the middle of a main thoroughfare and still has the right of way!

I wonder how many states follow South Carolina's rules for pedestrians and how many follow California... This may provide a list of great places to move to!

ps: The above rule in California doesn't mean someone can't get a ticket for jaywalking... but, I don't believe jaywalking tickets in California are high priority.

I wonder how many states follow South Carolina's rules for pedestrians...
As I said earlier, Michigan rules are quite similar to South Carolina. Pedestrians do not have carte blanche right-of-way regardless of what they do. Just found the California pedestrian RoW law and it reads similar to Michigan's.

Back