CF-100 amps

mprizzle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I just received this dashcam off of Amazon.
My old cam used a mini USB for power, so I have already run the wire through the header and pillars, doors... etc. Case in point I don't want to do that again, but this unit has a different DC plug. I would prefer to keep the USB arrangement since I have a 4 way splitter and do not want to dedicate my cig outlet to the dashcam, or my phone charger gets no power.

I wanted to cut off the head of the included charger and solder it to the USB cable, but can not find the Amps this unit runs at. The supply can power at 2.0-2.2 amps and I do not want to cook the new cam, or maybe I am misunderstanding how DC works and the cap will only take what it can handle rather than just dishing the rest off as damaging heat.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not advanced enough to hardwire and do not feel like taking it to a shop and spending the $$$. This should be a fairly simple mod..

Before you cut the factory cable, measure the output at the camera end. I haven't measured mine, but I get the feeling that it may be a straight through 12V adapter.

KuoH

I really, really didn't want to have to plunk down on a multimeter but it looks like this may finally be the last straw in that fight :(

You know you can get those nearly free at any Harbor Freight store or even on Ebay right? You can even go old school analog for less than $3. If you're going to do any kind of electrical or electronic work, a multimeter is pretty much a basic must have, but you don't have to go crazy and spend hundreds of dollars. Anything from $10-$20 will generally do for 90% of what you'd need.

KuoH

I really, really didn't want to have to plunk down on a multimeter but it looks like this may finally be the last straw in that fight :(

I am almost 100%certain that the input in the cf100 is 12v not 5. So you will need to run a new wire. But you can hard wire it with a bdp and have parking mode and not use your lighter socket.

I wouldn't do that without knowing a lot more about what's going on inside the camera and on the board... But hey, it's your camera.

Back