Changing SSID and password, use phone bluetooth instead?

Galofen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went ahead and bought a gitup F1 and I am noticing some lack of information on what is possible and what isn't.

I see the android app and like it but is there any way to change wifi password or possibly the SSID? I'm not sure if I like the idea of someone just knowing the default and being able to see my clips. I thought I saw a changelog for the app saying they added the ability to change the wifi password but I can't find it. Is there some way to change this through some txt or config file in the cameras storage?

Also is there a way to connect my phone via bluetooth instead? I don't see any reason why a phone can't provide the same functionality that their remote offers. If it isn't possible right now, is it possible for us to develop our own phone bluetooth app or is it specifically locked to their accessory?

I just took a look at the user manual but it's pretty minimal and doesn't say it can be changed.
A little silly to make it a generic password and not allow the change.

Not familiar with the Gitup F1, but if you can't find the option to change it in the mobile app... Maybe they have a desktop app that you can change it on by inserting your SD card into your computer.

The situation you'd have to be in for someone to connect to your camera via their Gitup mobile app, likely won't happen unless it's a family member or friend who is familiar with your setup.

As for the Bluetooth aspect, the goal is to not have to touch your phone while driving.
I don't think any company these days would support this.

Doesn't seem that unlikely to me. I had several ideas for this camera such as time-lapsing from my apartment window. It is nice that I can connect from the app but I worry that it broadcasts the ssid as GITUP F1 something. You google the gitup f1 wifi and the the same default password 1234567890 shows up everywhere. I don't know how likely someone is going to get curious around me but I know that default usernames and passwords are how must IP cams are hacked.

If you cant change it then its not really my "setup" because every gitup user will have the same "setup". I mean whats the point of a password if I can't change it. I'm sure their must be a way but I just can't figure it out.

The phone thing while driving might be legit other than the fact that this is not a dedicated dash camera. Actually most of the advertised videos are of its use as an action camera. Honestly I just would rather start and stop filming using a bluetooth because I feel that it would be more secure compared to a wifi that I can't change the SSID or password for.

It would even make me feel a little better if it didn't actually broadcast the SSID because I doubt people will actually look for it. I just want to keep people with casual curiosity away.

I'll look for a desktop app but I only really see them advertise the phone app. Thank you for the suggestion.

I have an android. When I have the F1 connected and scroll down the settings it says the app is at version 1.7.

This is what I was refering to when I said that the app shows that it added the ability to change password but I can't find it in the app anywhere. Has anyone actually done it and point out how to get there for me?

I feel like maybe the app has been abandoned because all of the links on the home page go to pages that don't exist.

Has anyone actually done it and point out how to get there for me?
I've just checked on my F1 with Android app V1.7 and I can't find the new WiFi SSID or password options either.

I wonder if the iOS App has the same issue of not being able to change the password in the iOS App...... @viofo

I wonder if the iOS App has the same issue of not being able to change the password in the iOS App...... @viofo

I'm honestly surprised that nobody else noticed this. I don't know if I trust use the wifi the way it is. In addition the app itself is super slow especially since I wait for it to pick up an broadcasted preview when I just want to change settings or use it as a shutter button. (this might be because my SD card tho). For the most part it makes it worthless, which is likely why no one noticed yet.

I was hoping for a few more features to be added to this cam. Such as recording time limits, motion detection, and a much improved app.

However since the app is getting this kind of support, I'm kinda thinking that I shouldn't expect anymore updates to the camera itself either.

Despite all my complaints, I really like the camera so far and really think the only thing it is lacking is a bit of QC from the devs.

According to GitUp, the SSID and Password change option in the iOS app were removed due to compatibility issues with the iOS system. They said the password option is still in the Android app though (the SSID change option is not), but I do not have any Android devices to try.

According to GitUp, the SSID and Password change option in the iOS app were removed due to compatibility issues with the iOS system. They said the password option is still in the Android app though (the SSID change option is not), but I do not have any Android devices to try.

So then in the iOS App of the F1 you can not change the Password? Meaning that if the camera can be connected to anyone with an iOS device can connect to my camera app and look up what the administrative PW in the online owners manual, and obtain easy access to all the video Clips saved in my App.... That really sucks! now I see why not many people are buying this F1 perhaps because of the lack of security, with the Password and Risk of unauthorized access to peoples private film clips.. I was going to buy a few of the F1's but now I am turned off from it, I don't want people having access to my video clips when ever I am using the F1. I can't believe that the developer (Gitup) can't put a PW change option in an iOS App that is ridiculous, the manufacture obviously is lazy and does not want to support the F1 development obviously this is very disappointing, I was ready to buy a couple of them soon also. I am sure they can make the program to accept a change of passwords in the iOS, it can be done by many other devices with no problem at all- Nest, Wyze, GoPro, Vava, Viofo, Blackview, ETC do it with no problems in their iOS apps!!!! Why cant Gitup do it?! its BS that iOS "System" has a compatibility issue with changing PW feature.

Last edited:
I simply use my F1 with the wifi turned off. Then there's no security risk.

If I want to change settings I find it's much easier to use the buttons on the camera anyway.

I will jump thru razor sharp hoops that are on fire and dipped in poison, and really too small for my size, over taking out my phone.

So then in the iOS App of the F1 you can not change the Password? Meaning that if the camera can be connected to anyone with an iOS device can connect to my camera app and look up what the administrative PW in the online owners manual, and obtain easy access to all the video Clips saved in my App.... That really sucks! now I see why not many people are buying this F1 perhaps because of the lack of security, with the Password and Risk of unauthorized access to peoples private film clips.. I was going to buy a few of the F1's but now I am turned off from it, I don't want people having access to my video clips when ever I am using the F1. I can't believe that the developer (Gitup) can't put a PW change option in an iOS App that is ridiculous, the manufacture obviously is lazy and does not want to support the F1 development obviously this is very disappointing, I was ready to buy a couple of them soon also. I am sure they can make the program to accept a change of passwords in the iOS, it can be done by many other devices with no problem at all- Nest, Wyze, GoPro, Vava, Viofo, ETC do it with no problems in their iOS apps!!!! Why cant Gitup do it?! its BS that iOS "System" has a compatibility issue with changing PW,
I know nothing about app programming, so don’t know of it easy or not. GitUp added the option in the app at one point, but removed it. I doubt they removed for no reason. Maybe they will add it again in the future, not sure. Leave WiFi off when you don’t need it and you won’t have to worry about it. WiFi turns on and off with a press of a button on the front of the F1.

I simply use my F1 with the wifi turned off. Then there's no security risk.

If I want to change settings I find it's much easier to use the buttons on the camera anyway.

Yeah but I had some plans where the camera wouldn't be easy to access so I was hoping to start and stop recording, or change the res/frame rate depending on the situation. It doesn't necessarily kill the camera for me but it is sad to see such a heavily advertised feature to be treated so poorly.

Yeah but I had some plans where the camera wouldn't be easy to access so I was hoping to start and stop recording, or change the res/frame rate depending on the situation. It doesn't necessarily kill the camera for me but it is sad to see such a heavily advertised feature to be treated so poorly.
The Bluetooth remote can start and stop recording, but not resolution.

The Bluetooth remote can start and stop recording, but not resolution.

The functionality of the watch itself would work for me and the ability to wake the camera is perfect.

But I really don't want to pay $20 for something that I should be able to do on my phone. I don't understand why there isn't an app that lets me use the bluetooth to do exactly what that remote does. I feel that the only reason we can't do it on a phone is because they want you to buy accessories from them.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't want to support what I see as being anti-consumer.

I also don't want to have to haul a otherwise "worthless" remote around but I always have my phone.

Please download this firmware.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1orBHnTMsKvtzLRT_Tq0-PdBE8YEjb24s

Please follow this guide to change SSID and password.
After you upgrade the firmware, first please enable the WiFi, and then connect the camera with computer, you will find the wifi configuration file wifi.conf under MISC directory.

Please find AP_SSID and AP_PASSWD, you can change the default value and save the file. Please include GitUp in the SSID, otherwise the app will not connect the camera.

Thanks for the Support Gitup! Glad to see you still giving this cam some attention.

I've gotten busy so I haven't been able to try it yet. I hope Falsificator can add this to his own mod.

Please download this firmware.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1orBHnTMsKvtzLRT_Tq0-PdBE8YEjb24s

Please follow this guide to change SSID and password.
After you upgrade the firmware, first please enable the WiFi, and then connect the camera with computer, you will find the wifi configuration file wifi.conf under MISC directory.

Please find AP_SSID and AP_PASSWD, you can change the default value and save the file. Please include GitUp in the SSID, otherwise the app will not connect the camera.

I probably should have posted this earlier but I figured out a work around.

I couldn't get this firmware to work to change the wifi settings. Most of my changes result in the wifi crashing and it resetting the config file.

If I tried to do anymore than delete some characters from the password, then it would reset. So I could change 1234567890 to 123456789 and it would work but changing it to Gitup caused it to crash.

I added Gitup to the AP_SSID name but the app was still unable to detect the camera.

I thought it was user error(and it still might be) but I tried again earlier this year and still had no luck.

I actually gave up working on it after soft-bricking the F1. I only changed the AP-SSID and AP_PASSWD but the camera stopped powering on or charging for me. Luckily pulling the battery and plugging it back in fixed it.

Thought I'd make a post so that others who try it knows it isn't just them having issues.

Back