Charging time for capacitors

dinoslmn

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hello' I received a new A119 camera,
Update the FW to last 2.06 one
Was connected to a wall charger for more than 24 hours.
If i press the On button even for 10 seconds the camera not on/
This camera works only with charging cable connected ?
If so , what is capacitors function ?
BTY what is the current consumption in a motion detection stade ?

Thank'
Dino

Supercaps function is to save last recorded file after power to device had been switched- or cut off.

As niko said but to expand this for people who may not understand his succinct answer.

By design the A119 only works while connected to power.
When the power is removed by either turning your ignition off or loss of power the capacitors keep the dash cam running for a moment longer to close the last file to prevent it getting corrupted.

The capacitors are consider better than an inbuilt battery as they tend to overheat and either expand or in a worse case scenario explode. The downside is the dashcam won't record after power is gone unlike a battery that will allow the unit to run for a minute or three depending battery size etc.

Note there is a small rechargeable battery in the A119 to remember clock and possibly other settings.

If so , what is capacitors function ?
BTY what is the current consumption in a motion detection stade ?
An indication that the capacitors are working is that the REC button light remains lit (provided you have the LED setting set to ON) a few seconds (mine stays on 6-7 seconds) after power is removed or the car ignition is turned off.

Power consumption measurement: Motion Detect Mode
Measurement device: Keweisi USB inline Volt/Amp meter at the output of a 2.4A wall charger.
Environment: Indoors 75 degrees F.
Configuration: 2.4A wall charger - to Keweisi inline USB V/A meter - to supplied long cable (A119S) - to GPS mount (A119S) - to A119 Camera. Sorry the A119S components were what I happen to have on hand at the time but as far as I know they are the same. Camera and components are of the V1 type.
Key settings: Motion Detect ON, Resolution-1080P60, LCD Display-OFF, LED (REC light)-ON, WDR-ON.
Additional Info: Motion detection ON activated by TV screen, OFF activated by covering lens. Average current determined by measuring mAhrs/hrs over 30 minute or more period. Only one measurement made for each case (recording and not recording). Power consumption is the best single parameter for comparisons since it considers both voltage and current (P=IV). Power consumption includes that of the camera, GPS mount, the cable, and the measurement device.
Measurement (recording): Voltage = 4.88Vdc , Average Current = 0.568A, Power Consumption = 2.77 Watts.
Measurement (not recording): Voltage= 5.02Vdc, Average Current = 0.259A, Power Consumption = 1.30 Watts.

seems like A119S draws more current than A119, because of a lower voltage in your tests.

seems like A119S draws more current than A119, because of a lower voltage in your tests.
Sorry for confusion. The camera was an A119, only the GPS mount and supplied long cable were A119S components. Not yet certain which camera (A119 or A119S) consumes the most power. The voltage from the USB wall charger power source dropped for the "Recording" measurement because of the increased power (hence current) demand from the camera. A surprise for me was that the A119 1080P60 resolution consumes more power than the 1440P30 resolution and that is why I chose the 1080P60 resolution setting for this test.

A surprise for me was that the A119 1080P60 resolution consumes more power than the 1440P30 resolution and that is why I chose the 1080P60 resolution setting for this test.
It might be because 1080P@60fps has the highest bitrate (up to 22Mb/s) among available.

It might be because 1080P@60fps has the highest bitrate (up to 22Mb/s) among available.
1440p has about 23,8Mb/s bitrate. Sometimes have even more (

Higher power has because camera must downgrading resolution to lower and records more sample in one second. (60 vs 30)

it also depends on how often the details of the surrounding change. the more changed details the camera has to write the more power it consumes and therefor the bitrate is higher, I think.

Does someone have a solution for a car with start/stop function ?
It's annoying to start and stop camera almost every time when the car stops on city with high traffic.
I have power on camera even if start/stop function is working but sometimes when the engine stops the camera is still recording but when the engine starts the camera stops and then starts recording again.
Sometimes when the engine stops the camera stops recording and when the engine starts the camera starts recording ( camera is powered on all this time )
Camera is connected to the fuse panel.

It's annoying to start and stop camera almost every time when the car stops on city with high traffic.
I have power on camera even if start/stop function is working but sometimes when the engine stops the camera is still recording but when the engine starts the camera stops and then starts recording again.
Sometimes when the engine stops the camera stops recording and when the engine starts the camera starts recording ( camera is powered on all this time )
Camera is connected to the fuse panel.
Here's a thread on the subject - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dashcams-in-vehicle-with-stop-start-function.29616/

Bottom line is there's not a solution that works for all vehicles. Your best chance is to find a circuit that doesn't fluctuate power on a restart (if there is one) and use it.

Last edited:
I do.
get a power bank and connect it to your cigarette lighter socket so it charges itself when the engine is running, connect a camera to a power bank. your camera will be powered and recording until some juice left in a power bank or until you unplug the camera from it.
My car doesn't have a start/stop feature but I use power banks (one per camera). there is no chance to deplete my car's battery and my cameras record all the time and when I want. no hardwiring. :)

I do.
get a power bank and connect it to your cigarette lighter socket so it charges itself when the engine is running, connect a camera to a power bank. your camera will be powered and recording until some juice left in a power bank or until you unplug the camera from it.
My car doesn't have a start/stop feature but I use power banks (one per camera). there is no chance to deplete my car's battery and my cameras record all the time and when I want. no hardwiring. :)

not many power banks support pass through charging so this can be a risky setup with the wrong battery pack, @Dashmellow has posted about this at length a number of times so there's plenty of reading here on the subject already if you'd like to learn more about it

not many power banks support pass through charging so this can be a risky setup with the wrong battery pack, @Dashmellow has posted about this at length a number of times so there's plenty of reading here on the subject already if you'd like to learn more about it

My most recent post on that subject can be found HERE.

not many power banks support pass through charging so this can be a risky setup with the wrong battery pack
most new ones support charging a device or two while charging itself, in our case (capacitors based camera) it's a question - does it actually work, or it doesn't? it works for me. I can say it works better (more reliable) if I power up just one camera by one power bank since a camera draw varies - from 0.2A to 0.7A.

most new ones support charging a device or two while charging itself, in our case (capacitors based camera) it's a question - does it actually work, or it doesn't? it works for me. I can say it works better (more reliable) if I power up just one camera by one power bank since a camera draw varies - from 0.2A to 0.7A.

Most? Kindly name some specific examples that have documented (not just claimed) support for pass-through-charging.

As I explained in my post it does "work". The question is whether it is a wise thing to be doing?

most new ones support charging a device or two while charging itself.

models that support proper pass through charging are very much in the minority, it is not a typical feature at all, plenty will still have an active output while being charged but that's not the same thing and carries a lot of risk

Most? Kindly name some specific examples that have documented (not just claimed) support for pass-through-charging.
that's why I did not say "pass-through-charging". my power banks may not technically support it and I don't really care about it. I know it works for me. and I know from my experience it's better to have just one camera connected to a power bank. and from the same experience I know it's better to use 28/24AWG cables with the power bank, possibly because it provides higher voltage.
As I explained in my post it does "work". The question is whether it is a wise thing to be doing?
if it works for me it's a "wise" thing to do. :)
the question is - you didn't answer my question - do you have and use power bank(s) to power up your camera(s)? :)

that's why I did not say "pass-through-charging". my power banks may not technically support it and I don't really care about it. I know it works for me. and I know from my experience it's better to have just one camera connected to a power bank. and from the same experience I know it's better to use 28/24AWG cables with the power bank, possibly because it provides higher voltage.

if it works for me it's a "wise" thing to do. :)
the question is - you didn't answer my question - do you have and use power bank(s) to power up your camera(s)? :)

Yes, I use two power banks daily to run four cameras and have been for over three years now.

What you actually said was, "most new ones support charging a device or two while charging itself, in our case (capacitors based camera) it's a question - does it actually work, or it doesn't? it works for me."

If you charge a battery while it is at the same time discharging you are doing "pass-through-charging" whether you want to call it that or not. You can get away with it for period of time but doing so will shorten the lifespan of the battery bank and it is potentially very dangerous, especially when done in an automotive environment where the power bank is subject to vibrations, shock and fairly extreme temperature variations. Saying it "works for me" is just a rationalization while ignoring the facts about how lithium-ion batteries function. It is not "wise" even if you say it is. It is the opposite of "wise".

Last edited:
Back