Charging time for capacitors

models that support proper pass through charging are very much in the minority, it is not a typical feature at all, plenty will still have an active output while being charged but that's not the same thing and carries a lot of risk

The Zendure is one of the only power bank lines I am aware of that appear to have true pass-through-charging.

They are expensive as might be expected in any power bank that has the proper circuitry for pass-through-charging.

The Zendure is one of the only power bank lines I am aware of that appear to have true pass-through-charging.

They are expensive as might be expected in any power bank that has the proper circuitry for pass-through-charging.

not your typical cheapy Chinese type power bank

not your typical cheapy Chinese type power bank

Even my "cheapy" generic Chinese power banks have been of excellent quality and as I've said, have been in daily service for 3 years, 4 months and two years, 4 months respectively. The reason is that they seem to be quite well made and that I practice good charging and maintenance procedures. (I paid about 22 dollars each for them on Amazon.)

Even my "cheapy" generic Chinese power banks have been of excellent quality and as I've said, have been in daily service for 3 years, 4 months and two years, 4 months respectively. The reason is that they seem to be quite well made and that I practice good charging and maintenance procedures. (I paid about 22 dollars each for them on Amazon.)

not to say cheap ones can't be good, I've got a couple that are really good quality (got some that are not so good also) you won't see true pass though in $20 ones though

not to say cheap ones can't be good, I've got a couple that are really good quality (got some that are not so good also) you won't see true pass though in $20 ones though

Or ones at twice that price either. There are some very good modestly priced power banks available now with 12-24 month warranties and good customer service with telephone contact from "name brand" companies like RAVpower, PowerADD, etc. There's no reason to pay a fortune. Best to avoid the obvious no name Chinese generics that pop up and disappear like mushrooms and have no one you can contact in the event of an issue.

Yes, I use two power banks daily to run four cameras and have been for over three years now.
but you don't charge them in a car at the same time?
I've read your posts on the subject long after I got my cameras and power banks, and it didn't change my mind about the way I (want to) use them. I don't care if my power bank dies in 2 years instead of 4 - my goal is not to prolong its lifetime but to have an independent from car's battery power source for my cameras. if it comes to that I would get a power pack from an electric car. :eek:

There are some very good modestly priced power banks available now with 12-24 month warranties and good customer service with telephone contact from "name brand" companies like RAVpower
how did you know I have 3 power banks from RAVPower?! :eek:

but you don't charge them in a car at the same time?
I've read your posts on the subject long after I got my cameras and power banks, and it didn't change my mind about the way I (want to) use them. I don't care if my power bank dies in 2 years instead of 4 - my goal is not to prolong its lifetime but to have an independent from car's battery power source for my cameras. if it comes to that I would get a power pack from an electric car. :eek:

I take mine inside, let them rest for awhile and come to room temperature and then charge them overnight @ 1amp. If you are charging them in your car while driving and running your banks you are risking more than a shorter lifespan for them.

I take mine inside, let them rest for awhile and come to room temperature and then charge them overnight @ 1amp. If you are charging them in your car while driving and running your banks you are risking more than a shorter lifespan for them.
you might be right. it also depends on for how long you actually drive, for how long your cameras record while you parked somewhere etc. I check the power banks from time to time and at most they are warm even at 90F+ outside. we'll see how it goes. :)

you might be right. it also depends on for how long you actually drive, for how long your cameras record while you parked somewhere etc. I check the power banks from time to time and at most they are warm even at 90F+ outside. we'll see how it goes. :)

I don't know why people keep insisting on doing this despite the facts. If you end up with a thermal runway, "seeing how it goes" may not be a good method. Well, good luck. Be careful!

just checked:

"Does this support pass through charging? i.e. Can it charge devices when it is being charged itself. Customers are chatting about this View conversation
A: Yes, you can recharge the power bank while it is charging another device simultaneously. However we don't suggest you always do this as it will reduce the battery lifespan of both the power bank and your device."
so, I guess I'm good to go. :)

just checked:

"Does this support pass through charging? i.e. Can it charge devices when it is being charged itself. Customers are chatting about this View conversation
A: Yes, you can recharge the power bank while it is charging another device simultaneously. However we don't suggest you always do this as it will reduce the battery lifespan of both the power bank and your device."
so, I guess I'm good to go. :)

Who said, "Yes, you can"? The manufacturer? Many manufacturers claim it is OK but unless their product actually has the proper circuitry, and most do not, you can't and shouldn't. If the manufacturer is telling you, "you can recharge the power bank while it is charging"....but "it will reduce the battery lifespan of both the power bank and your device" that means it is not designed for this and you should NOT be doing this! This is magical thinking!

Who said, "Yes, you can"? The manufacturer? Many manufacturers claim it is OK but unless their product actually has the proper circuitry, and most do not, you can't and shouldn't. If the manufacturer is telling you, "you can recharge the power bank while it is charging"....but "it will reduce the battery lifespan of both the power bank and your device" that means it is not designed for this and you should NOT be doing this! This is magical thinking!
"it will reduce the battery lifespan of both the power bank and your device" - that's a nature of things, they get older any next moment of time. :)
tell me how to test a power bank if it actually supports a pass through charging.
if I charge a power bank from a wall charger it draws up to 1.97A, if it charges itself in a car while powering up a camera it draws up to ~0.6A - that's about how much a camera draws. would that mean a "pass through charging"?

"it will reduce the battery lifespan of both the power bank and your device" - that's a nature of things, they get older any next moment of time. :)
tell me how to test a power bank if it actually supports a pass through charging.
if I charge a power bank from a wall charger it draws up to 1.97A, if it charges itself in a car while powering up a camera it draws up to ~0.6A - that's about how much a camera draws. would that mean a "pass through charging"?

"Reducing the battery lifespan of the power bank is not the "nature of things", it's more accurately called damage.

If you read the link to my post like you claim to have you would you would know everything you need to know by now but you are still engaging in magical thinking. Pass-through-charging means that you are charging the power bank at the same time you are discharging it (running your camera). How many times do you need t0 hear that this is not a very smart thing to be doing? It has nothing to do with how much the charger draws vs how much the camera draws. It has to do with the chemistry and physics of how lithium-ion batteries function. If you keep messing with that, you will eventually have problems and potential safety issues.

Obviously, you have no interest other than doing what you want here anyway, despite the facts and common sense. I've said everything I am able to say to you here, repeatedly and have nothing further to add. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Pass-through-charging means that you are charging the power bank at the same time you are discharging it (running your camera).
yes, I read your posts on a subject a couple of months ago, must be forgot everything already.:eek:
I thought it means a power bank passes a charge it's getting from a car through itself to a camera. :eek: that's why the input draw of a power bank about equal to the output draw of the camera.:eek:

is the whole thread sort of off-topic or did I missed the answer to the threads subject - the capacitors charging time?

is the whole thread sort of off-topic or did I missed the answer to the threads subject - the capacitors charging time?
It was kind of answered in the 2nd and 3rd posts by describing the function of the capacitor. More specifically it depends on the size of the capacitor - larger ones take longer. In my SG9665GCs I'd say they fully charge in less than 10 seconds. I'm sure @jokiin will know the exact time for that specific camera.

It was kind of answered in the 2nd and 3rd posts by describing the function of the capacitor. More specifically it depends on the size of the capacitor - larger ones take longer. In my SG9665GCs I'd say they fully charge in less than 10 seconds. I'm sure @jokiin will know the exact time for that specific camera.

caps will take about 2 minutes to fully charge from empty, they are rarely ever empty on a camera that has been powered up already though, you're only ever doing a top up charge and anything up to about 10 seconds would see that done on most cameras, cameras where capacitors were an afterthought that have no RTC are a little different as the caps in those cameras will deplete over time

Back