Checking your recordings

ivantwilliams

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 2018 Mustang GT has ceramic coating, and the XPEL film.
With that in mind, I hand wash every fortnight. And, I often park rear first (unless in my garage).

Now that I have laid the initial details, let me explain. Yesterday, I took my car in to get the oil changed and tyre rotation.

With all businesses changing how things are done now, due to Covid-19, once my car was finished, no inspection was done by me, and I left.

Once I got home (right after the oil change, etcetera), I was about to wash the car. Then noticed the space separation between the headlight and bumper (see image). You can even see the clips.

I reviewed all the footage from my Garmin 55. However, the part where I think it happened, was not recorded. To me, when the car was being driven into the bay, something happened. Alas, when you power on the car, there is about a 30-60 second window where the camera is not recording (since it is 'coming on'). That is when I think it happened.

TLDR:
Do you check your recordings daily, or what is your process? Curious on everyone's opinion...

mustnag bumper.jpg

When I first got 'cammed' I was rabid about seeing and saving clips to my PC. Say 2-3 times a week. But now I have larger cards and I'm not as interested in watching me drive through the crazy world for a second time, so unless there's something really important to save I just check a few files and format the card every 2-4 weeks just to be sure everything is still working as it should be. And I always check if something seems amiss with a cam's functioning.

Phil

I save files when i drive by pressing the event button, and then every 2-3 weeks i whip something up for youtube.
I have yet to use parking guard, but i recon i will get to that soon.
Personally though i have no need for it, though the insane taxes on cars in Denmark probably mean that for a little more than i paid for my tiny Suzuki car i cold buy a Mustang in the US.
BUT ! still i have a very relaxed relationship with my cars, for me they are just a means to not having to walk from A to B or god help me use public transport.
Dont get me wrong i do intensely dislike when other people dont respect my property, and i would like to mess up such a person severely if i got the chance.

Dont get me wrong i can also identify with a vehicle, my current dream daily driver car are a massive overkill.

38ec008064efd478055421550380807b.jpg

But alas the cars i can identify with i can never afford, so for me its just transport, but still people should treat my ride with respect.

what i drive, pretty much many Americans wouldn't even have their kids driving,let alone their worst enemy.

ne6azupaa0lgpg0hmqdh1g.jpg

The fit if that headlight assembly sure dont look right, as if its pushed in, but to that degree i think you would break it to do that.

Do you check your recordings daily, or what is your process? Curious on everyone's opinion..

I have a Viofo A119 v3 set to record at the highest quality video. I use a 128GB micro SD card and don't record when parked. This gives me around 8 to 9 hours of driving i.e. recording time.

I keep all footage from the front-facing dashcam and save onto an external hard drive. When the A119 starts up it displays how much recording time left before it starts to overwrite the oldest video files. When it's time for me to empty the micro SD card or it's the end of the month, I do the following:
  1. Remove the card from the dashcam
  2. copy entire card to a new folder on my external hard drive
  3. Use Dashcam Viewer software to check random files on the external hard drive (not the original card) for video, audio, and GPS synchronisation. This also ensures that the copy process was successful.
  4. Fully format the micro SD card
  5. Replace micro SD into dashcam ready for use again.
I don't check every file but I do 'scrub' through the list to ensure that there are no errors.

Regards,

I don't check the footage everytime but I do save it for later. I have a 1T hard drive that holds about a month worth of recordings.

Are there any other marks on the bumper, maybe check under as well? For the bumper to have moved you’d think there’d be some sort of mark left.

No marks. Alas, I do have a XPEL film on the car.

PS: Bumper has been reseated and all is well now. As per others, on a Mustang forum, the 'moving' of the bumper is a flaw in the 2018 model. Still weird, if you ask me.

Are there any other marks on the bumper, maybe check under as well? For the bumper to have moved you’d think there’d be some sort of mark left.

Many vehicles over time have had "quirks" some charming, others down right dangerous.
You would be right to assume this was not the case in today's computer generated and simulated world, but you would be wrong then.

Back