Child hit by Taxi

Saar21

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Move the video forward to the 20 seconds.

Was this a gypsy trying to get hit purposely?

The kid wasn't even on the zebra when he got hit. Hope he pays for the damage to the car.

The kid wasn't even on the zebra when he got hit. Hope he pays for the damage to the car.
Was this a gypsy trying to get hit purposely?
This little boy maybe 10 or 11, the taxi driver drove to fast and probably was a little dreamy.
The child probably could not estimate the speed and distance of the texi, and he thought that the taxi will stop for him.
I dont know how it works in your country but if this chiled will make a good show, he will get nice amount of money.
The texi driver license probably revoked, he didnt stay in the area more then 10 minuts and then left without leaving his details.

This little boy maybe 10 or 11, the taxi driver drove to fast and probably was a little dreamy
That is only an assumption, not a fact.

The child probably could not estimate the speed and distance of the texi, and he thought that the taxi will stop for him.
Why should the taxi driver stop for him. The child wasn't on the zebra crossing and therefore not indicating his wish to cross the road, plus he darted across the road in front of the oncoming taxi.

I dont know how it works in your country but if this chiled will make a good show, he will get nice amount of money.
The texi driver license probably revoked, he didnt stay in the area more then 10 minuts and then left without leaving his details.

In my country, the only offence the driver would be prosecuted for would be leaving the scene of an accident without reporting it. I doubt whether the child would be prosecuted if he is a minor.

Well, in my country, the driver would have been beaten to near death even if it was not his fault. Just last week, they used a 10 year old boy to run out into the street to get hit by a car. Once the car stopped, they would beat and rob the driver.

Yes I read about that. Fortunately you are almost as far from Michigan as we are.

We don't know anymore that what we see on the video. Looks like a typical childhood error to me. Hope the child is o.k.

Why should the taxi driver stop for him. The child wasn't on the zebra crossing and therefore not indicating his wish to cross the road, plus he darted across the road in front of the oncoming taxi.

Are you trolling? This was a signposted pedestrian crossing at a street corner.

Are you trolling? This was a signposted pedestrian crossing at a street corner.

You seem to be missing the point, the child wasn't on the zebra/pedestrian crossing, he effectively just darted across the road in front of the oncoming vehicle.

You seem to be missing the point, the child wasn't on the zebra/pedestrian crossing
Right, when they're a foot off side they're fair game. That's why you need a dashcam — in case the brat wobbles back inside the lines in the half second before impact, and some silly witness tries to blame you.

It's black & white to me :p

You seem to be missing the point, the child wasn't on the zebra/pedestrian crossing, he effectively just darted across the road in front of the oncoming vehicle.
With an attitude like that maybe it is not best for you to drive in The Netherlands. A place where the pedestrian (and cyclists) are king. :)

With an attitude like that maybe it is not best for you to drive in The Netherlands. A place where the pedestrian (and cyclists) are king. :)

So in the Netherlands, if a cyclist darts off the pavement in front of oncoming traffic and gets hit by a vehicle, it's the driver of the vehicle that's at fault. Is that the traffic law or is that something you are just assuming?

In the United Kingdom, cyclists should not ride on the footpath and cyclists should not ride on a pedestrian crossing. Footpaths and pedestrian crossings are for pedestrians only. Simples.

From the Road Traffic Legislation:
Precedence of pedestrians over vehicles at Zebra crossings

25. (1) Every pedestrian, if he is on the carriageway within the limits of a Zebra crossing, which is not for the time being controlled by a constable in uniform or traffic warden, before any part of a vehicle has entered those limits, shall have precedence within those limits over that vehicle and the driver of the vehicle shall accord such precedence to any such pedestrian.
Meaning, if a pedestrian is actually on the zebra crossing and withing the limits of the zebra crossing, the pedestrian has right of way over any vehicle which is not already on the crossing.

Last edited:
Alan:
Maybe read this article.
or maybe read through this PDF
Something that should not be overlooked in the safety section: Liability. In some countries, bicycling is seen as causing danger, which sometimes ends up in an anti-cycling policy. The Dutch philosophy is: Cyclists are not dangerous; cars and car drivers are: so car drivers should take the responsibility for avoiding collisions with cyclists. This implies that car drivers are almost always liable when a collision with a bicycle occurs and should adapt their speed when bicycles share the roads with cyclists.
Why have you changed your argument to the UK? I said your attitude is wrong for driving in the Netherlands.
Error: No I am not assuming I drive all over mainland Europe. I have lived in some counties in the mainland too.

I said your attitude is wrong for driving in the Netherlands.

But not necessarily wrong for driving in Israel, and that is what this post is about, so what's the Netherlands got to do with it? I have driven in Holland, Belgium, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, the Canary Islands and east and west coasts of America so I do realise that cyclists get a better deal in Holland than in most other places I have driven. (I am actually a cyclist too but I ride defensively) Last year I spent 5 1/2 weeks driving through France, Spain, France, Italy, France then England and I recorded many many hours of video footage, some of which shows that drivers in France probably pay less head to pedestrian crossings than any other country I have driven in. So the young lad might well get away with pulling a trick like that in Holland but I wouldn't advise him to try it anywhere else.

Alan; You have been making a lot of statements on this video without oblivious knowing anything about the law(s) in Israel.
I quote you:
In my country, the only offence the driver would be prosecuted for would be leaving the scene of an accident without reporting it. I doubt whether the child would be prosecuted if he is a minor.
What has the UK law got to do with Israel?
Again you start off by writing about UK law,
In the United Kingdom, cyclists should not ride on the footpath and cyclists should not ride on a pedestrian crossing. Footpaths and pedestrian crossings are for pedestrians only. Simples
But the above quote contradicts one you made earlier. Either the cyclist was on the crossing or not
Why should the taxi driver stop for him. The child wasn't on the zebra crossing
Seeing the child was in the road and your statements I stick by what I have said your attitude is not right for the Netherlands. I just hope you never have to go there.
You have already been accused as being a troll. I would perhaps not go that far, but you do come across as being a bit heartless.
Hope he pays for the damage to the car.
Plus you are questioning the facts posted by the person who took the video.

Facts gained from the video. The child was not on the crossing, yes he was riding a bike and he was turning left.

In my book, he who has the bigger vehicle wins. If a little gypsy kid wants to challenge a car, he will lose. If a car wants to challenge a large truck, car will lose. Little ferries, gnomes and Allah can only save you so much.

O.K., let's just cut to the chase here: Let's just forget all about the zebra/pedestrian crossing because it's irrelevant. The child wasn't using the zebra crossing. The child was riding his bicycle down the road, on the wrong side of the road, and then he cut across the road in the face of oncoming traffic.

your attitude is not right for the Netherlands. I just hope you never have to go there.
I have already been a couple of times.
you do come across as being a bit heartless.
Why? the young lad was obviously not injured other than perhaps a scratch or two. Who will pay for the damage he caused to the taxi?
you are questioning the facts posted by the person who took the video.
I didn't see any facts posted by the person who took the video.
yes he was riding a bike and he was turning left.
I only saw him turning right, across the face of oncoming traffic.

Back