CHP motorcycle action

S21FOLGORE

Reaction score
Country
United States
On my regular morning commute.
(Pay attention to the white Prius who passed me on the left. And look at the right side shoulder at around 0:07)

Your Valentine 1 radar detector didn't pick anything up? Running Waze?

V1 did not pick up anything, because this officer wasn't using radar or laider (laser), apparently.
This is actually the well known spot. (There's long downhill just before this video starts.) Sometimes it's a motorcycle, sometimes it's a police car, and 9 out of 10 times, it's Ka band radar. (though, recently they tend to use laser more, it seems.)
Anyhow, the Prius driver was not paying attention at all. Even if he couldn't see the officer, he should have thought why everyone started slowing down.

Is that a car sharing lane that the Prius was in?
It looks like a carpool lane. Some cars that are all electric such as the Tesla can ride solo in that lane with special stickers. Also in some parts you can drive solo in that lane for a little money. Deducted from an easy pass type device. You get better privileges if you're rich.

Running Waze?

speaking of waze... http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/01/cops-decry-waze-traffic-app-as-a-police-stalker/

apparently some cops are saying criminals are using waze to stalk and kill cops and that google/waze needs to remove that feature. :rolleyes:

in other news, criminals are using steak knives, baseball bats and rocks to hurt and kill people, but nobody's lobbying to make those things illegal. :confused:

personally i don't care for waze. when using it for actual navigation, it seems to get perverse pleasure out of sending me down meandering paths for no apparent reason, and waits till i'm PAST the street i need to turn on before it tells me to turn. maybe it's just my phone, but mapquest and google maps don't have those problems. other than that though, it looks like a neat app, with features like cop spotting, hazard warnings, and gas prices all right there. i don't care for the chat or track your friends thing, but then i'm one of those weirdos who doesn't have a facebook, google+ or linkedin account either.

Last edited:
... i'm one of those weirdos who doesn't have a facebook, google+ or linkedin account either.
Cool, there's two of us here. :D

In California, that speeding ticket is at least $500.

speaking of waze... http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/01/cops-decry-waze-traffic-app-as-a-police-stalker/

apparently some cops are saying criminals are using waze to stalk and kill cops and that google/waze needs to remove that feature. :rolleyes:

in other news, criminals are using steak knives, baseball bats and rocks to hurt and kill people, but nobody's lobbying to make those things illegal.

Cool, there's two of us here. :D
One of the radar detector forums I frequent has a thread going about this article of the police being stalked using Waze; they are all of the opinion it is BS. As pointed out they are more worried about there revenue generation from speeding tickets. If, as they claim, they were really interested in safety then they would not mind an app that made people slow down.
I last year closed out my facebook account as I did nothing on it; the implications for personal privacy was also a factor. That makes 3 of us!

One of the radar detector forums I frequent has a thread going about this article of the police being stalked using Waze; they are all of the opinion it is BS. As pointed out they are more worried about there revenue generation from speeding tickets. If, as they claim, they were really interested in safety then they would not mind an app that made people slow down.
I last year closed out my facebook account as I did nothing on it; the implications for personal privacy was also a factor. That makes 3 of us!
note the bolded part. that's what it really boils down to.

as for FB i had an account too, but closed it several years ago when i got tired of playing privacy whack-a-mole. G+ at first seemed to be better, but it's not worth the time investment to me. i hated when they forced you into G+ on youtube. wasted like half an hour trying to go thru and lock everything down all over again.

Back