City sign which may encourages drivers to make illegal turn

I see nothing in the video, or Google 'street view' to suggest the right turn would be illegal. Maybe not the optimal way of getting on the 401 but nothing I see saying it's not proper.

This sign was just put up a little north of Aarhus.
forkert_skiltning.jpg

Sign on the Left say 70km/h are no longer the max speed / cancel local speed limit, sign on the Right say the speed limit is 70 km/h.
Normally on a highway like this there are a 80 km/h speed limit, but its not uncommon to have a local cap on speed like for instance here where there are off and on ramps to the motorway crossing the road.

As it turned out it was just the sign on the left that was put up 180 degrees wrong :rolleyes:

We have some on the A11 dual carriageway between Norwich and Attleborough stating road has temporary 50mph limit due to road condition(normally 70mph) next to a national speed limit sign which means 70mph as dual carriageway, and there is no removal sign for temporary 50mph sign!!

This sign was just put up a little north of Aarhus.
forkert_skiltning.jpg

As it turned out it was just the sign on the left that was put up 180 degrees wrong :rolleyes:

I was about to suggest that, as it was on the opposite side facing away from travel, "Youths" over here love playing with road signs... and traffic lights actually :/

It is pretty normal to have a sign on both sides of the road like that, i am however wondering why, cuz just about anything else here are subject to savings and cut backs.

When using road works signs temporarily lowering speed limits here, they cover the permanent sign with a black plastic trash bag. A cheap way to avoid confusing the easily confused drivers we have here :rolleyes: And something which is simple enough for the equally unintelligent road workers to do without screwing it up :eek:

Phil

I see nothing in the video, or Google 'street view' to suggest the right turn would be illegal. Maybe not the optimal way of getting on the 401 but nothing I see saying it's not proper.
I am not an expert on Ontario driving law and find the different documentation contradicting itself from time to time. I doubt there is a law or rule on this, but if one turns from the centre lane where there is three lanes - i would imagine its not legal. However the right most lane, had exited to off ramp before that sign was posted. It appears they placed the sign wrong.

One would have to make a pretty sharp turn and slow down a fair bit. I have seen people do this, but when at a red light, with traffic behind them already stopped. I guess if it was clearly illegal to do turn, there would be sign with vertical bar telling drivers not do so. It would be interested to see what would happen if an accident happened on a corner like there, where the was opportunity to turn earlier.

With regards to British roads having contradicting signs and @sawmasters point about bags over the old signs, yes the same here. We have bags and lots of signs informing one is entering a construction sight. In Ontario, and I imagine much of North America, they really want people to drop their speeds in a construction zone and Its always clear what the reduced speed limit is.

When using road works signs temporarily lowering speed limits here, they cover the permanent sign with a black plastic trash bag. A cheap way to avoid confusing the easily confused drivers we have here :rolleyes: And something which is simple enough for the equally unintelligent road workers to do without screwing it up :eek:

Phil

With regards to British roads having contradicting signs and @SawMaster's point about bags over the old signs, yes the same here. We have bags and lots of signs informing one is entering a construction sight. In Ontario, and I imagine much of North America, they really want people to drop their speeds in a construction zone and Its always clear what the reduced speed limit is.
Hahaha, it's the same here! :D
Sometimes they even put provisional signs long before they start being used and cover them as well. :)

Last edited:
Back