Cloud feedback...

Mark D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blackvue should allow direct access to the camera WITHOUT going through the cloud with unlimited time...

Today:
1. there is a 10min time limit
2. all accesses require you to go through the cloud, which adds sig. latency/overhead

The hotspot should simply assign the camera an IP and you should be able to access it via the app with the IP address.

-mark

Last edited:
If you set the dashcam to connect to a wifi access point, you can currently only connect to it through the cloud app with the restrictions you speak of. If you set the dashcam to AP mode, you connect and control it just as you're requesting there. It's the only method available to those of us running the 1.x firmware.

I want to be able to watch my car remotely for any amount of time...and to be clear to everyone looking at these cameras: that is *not* possible with this camera and with the way the cloud service is currently configured!

1. Blackvue limits you to 10 mins/day of cloud viewing (live), which is crazy.
2. I can understand charging for disk space, but it's annoying to be charged to view your camera that is accessed on your personal hotspot, which is paid for by you. I understand that BV will add plans where you can PAY for more access to your local cam on your local hotspot...in essence, you are double charged for the bandwidth.
3. There is extra latency associated with piping everything through the Blackvue service...it would be much more efficient to allow the camera to directly serve the live access requests without the middleman and without silly time limits.

-mark

BV will add plans where you can PAY for more access to your local cam on your local hotspot...in essence, you are double charged for the bandwidth.
That.. is exactly why Blackvue is pushing the cloud feature instead of enabling true / full WiFi capable of connecting to any LAN. They are looking for a revenue stream..

A revenue stream on a service like cloud storage makes sense.

A revenue stream for access to ones personal camera (which was already paid for), with ones personal (paid) hotspot, with ones personal phone/table does not make sense to me...it will fail.

-mark

If I had time I would figure out how to connect to the camera directly. It has to be possible. Any decent developer could figure it out and create a free app

If I had time I would figure out how to connect to the camera directly. It has to be possible. Any decent developer could figure it out and create a free app
I keep hoping..........

Back