Cluster Allocation File Corruption

ZonaiResearcher

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a B4K Dashcam for a few years, but the past few months I've been having a lot of issues with the camera giving me a card error. At first, when I tried to copy files from the microSD card to my computer, I was getting an error that the file wasn't able to be copied. I was able to fix the issue by using Disk Utility to repair the microSD card. But then the dashcam was giving me a card error and refused to record any more files. I got a new Samsung 128GB endurance microSD, and formatted it in the camera. But I was getting the same issue again! This time I saved the Disk Utility repair results and got this:

Running First Aid on “VOLUME1” (disk4s1)
Checking file system and repairing if necessary and if possible.
Volume was successfully unmounted.
Performing fsck_msdos -y /dev/rdisk4s1
** /dev/rdisk4s1
** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT
** Phase 2 - Checking Directories
/CARDV/Movie/20230815180847_000014B.TS has too many clusters allocated (logical=236051860, physical=1178271744)
Drop superfluous clusters? yes
/CARDV/Movie/20230819123454_202332B.TS has too many clusters allocated (logical=225443840, physical=228589568)
/CARDV/Movie/20230819190353_202334B.TS has too many clusters allocated (logical=220200960, physical=222298112)
/CARDV/Movie/20230819203440_202356B.TS has too many clusters allocated (logical=99614720, physical=100663296)
/CARDV/Movie/20230820122516_202377A.TS starts with cross-linked cluster (65536)
Truncate? yes
/CARDV/Movie/20230820123017_202380B.TS has too many clusters allocated (logical=73400320, physical=77594624)
** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters
Found orphan cluster(s)
Fix? yes
Marked 1101 clusters as free
Free space in FSInfo block (829247) not correct (844885)
Fix? yes
265 files, 54072640 KiB free (844885 clusters)
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
File system check exit code is 0.
Restoring the original state found as mounted.
Operation successful.

I tried a new Samsung 128GB microSD card, and the same thing is happening. The dashcam is recording files incorrectly and preventing itself from writing over files when the card fills up, and also preventing me from copying files off the memory card without first repairing it. I've searched online and haven't found anyone reporting a problem like this before. It is really confusing and also frustrating.

I'm having the same issue using a Samsung 256GB Evo Select formatted on the camera, it filled up and can no longer overwrite older files.

I can see the errors on chkdisk.
The size of the \CARDV\Movie\20230828141316_000099A.TS entry is not valid.
The size of the \CARDV\Movie\20230901152218_000294A.TS entry is not valid.
\CARDV\Movie\20230901152218_000294A.TS is cross-linked on allocation unit 65536.
\CARDV\Movie\20230906102313_000467A.TS is cross-linked on allocation unit 65536.

You can send it back for replacement if it is within 1 year warranty or give it a try with a new card!

You can send it back for replacement if it is within 1 year warranty or give it a try with a new card!
It's over 1 year but the Samsung 256GB Evo Select SD card is brand new.
I formatted once with https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/ tool and I can see the card is formatted to exFat format. Then when I put it in the camera it had a red warning saying the SD card need to be formatted so I formatted on the Camera again.

I just had an accident when the card had file corruption and couldn't overwrite and record videos! That's why I noticed this issue.
I'll report back to see how this goes.

It's over 1 year but the Samsung 256GB Evo Select SD card is brand new.
I formatted once with https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/ tool and I can see the card is formatted to exFat format. Then when I put it in the camera it had a red warning saying the SD card need to be formatted so I formatted on the Camera again.

I just had an accident when the card had file corruption and couldn't overwrite and record videos! That's why I noticed this issue.
I'll report back to see how this goes.
Have you had a chance to check the files on your card? I originally discovered the issue when the camera was flashing a warning to check the card. It was possible to repair the microSD and have it record again, but sometimes the cam is cross-linking files, so in that case the videos are completely inaccessible and lost by Disk Utility once the repair is done.
I have also had my camera for over 1 year, and it's a shame because it had been working really well until now. I tried with two different new Samsung Endurance microSD cards and both of them were giving me the same issues. Are there any new firmware updates to the cam which might fix this?

I have also had my camera for over 1 year, and it's a shame because it had been working really well until now. I tried with two different new Samsung Endurance microSD cards and both of them were giving me the same issues. Are there any new firmware updates to the cam which might fix this?
Should be a card compatibility related problem since it can detect card errors! Give it a try with a small card or 1080p video resolution to see if happens or not!

Have you had a chance to check the files on your card? I originally discovered the issue when the camera was flashing a warning to check the card. It was possible to repair the microSD and have it record again, but sometimes the cam is cross-linking files, so in that case the videos are completely inaccessible and lost by Disk Utility once the repair is done.
After formatting with the formatter tool (exFAT) and formatting with the camera (FAT32). The Samsung 256GB Evo Select SD card filled up and got the card error again. I guess this card is not usable or compatible with the camera. I'll have to switch back to my old Sandisk Extreme 64GB card.

Everything records fine until the card fills up. But the camera is allocating extra clusters to files when it’s not needed. So when the card is full, it starts writing to sectors that don’t exist, leading to cross-write errors. After 2-3 files, it no longer has an idea of where to write data and gives a card error. This is my best understanding of the issue. So far I’ve tried it on 2 different Samsung cards, one of them had been working fine for over a year, and the other was a brand-new one. I just got a new dashcam so going to try that out and see if it works any better.

Try a different card, maybe smaller this time, e.g. 128GB. We also don't know where you bought this card, I hope it wasn't on Aliexpress because it's almost impossible to find a good card there. I also had similar problems with one card and the image was stuck on another one. It was about a too slow transfer.
And next time it is worth paying more and buying another camera from a manufacturer that has its headquarters or service in the country, rather than sending it to China every time. I have already had to send it back twice at my own expense, which is half the value of the device.

Have same problem with with latest firmware 015 , brand new " SanDisk Extreme PRO 256Gb V30 XCT u3 A2 " every third day make some bug, file become unreadable from device, mobile phone and make it to restart device when try to play any file. Try couple time formatting, also with advice above but always same thing happen, also reduce file size to 1min, same problem. Install some cheap 128Gb marked as Dahua and for now ( 3th day) everything is ok. How I know what is original firmware for my device and where I can download them ?

Have same problem with with latest firmware 015 , brand new " SanDisk Extreme PRO 256Gb V30 XCT u3 A2 " every third day make some bug, file become unreadable from device, mobile phone and make it to restart device when try to play any file. Try couple time formatting, also with advice above but always same thing happen, also reduce file size to 1min, same problem. Install some cheap 128Gb marked as Dahua and for now ( 3th day) everything is ok. How I know what is original firmware for my device and where I can download them ?
Resolve the problem. It's fake SD card with low speed R/W . Package is identical SanDisk everything but speed test resolve the problem.

Sorry for triple post but lets explain it. SD card what I bought from e-bay comes in original SanDisk package , here is pic of card, package is lost in trash .
IMG_20231229_140137.jpg

According SD speed class this card marked as U3 or V30 need to have average write speed of 30MB/s tested with SD Card Test Pro android apk trough my phone it barley can make 21MB/s speed.
My old SanDisk Extreme got average speed of 76MB/sIMG_20240110_223258.jpg

Back