Compatible micro sd card for F770

I'm still using the 128gb Transcend card mentioned earlier in this thread without issues

So far here are the cards that work in my F770 with the .03 firmware.
Samsung Evo Select 32gb U1
Samsung Evo Select 64gb U1
SanDisk Ultra A1 64gb U1
SanDisk Ultra A1 128gb U1
SanDisk Ultra A1 256gb U1

Here are the cards that I have tried and do not work in my F770
Samsung Evo Select 64gb U3
Samsung Evo Select 128gb U3
Samsung Evo Plus 128gb U3

I bought Sandisk Ulra A1 256GB U1 card (PN: SDSQUAR-256G-GN6MA) yesterday, and I have problems with it. The F770 recognize it, I can see the full capacity (238 GB), and the dashcam is recording on it in continues and parking mode to. But after parking when I started the ignition, it says memory card error. I swapped the card back (my another card is also Sandisk Ultra older 128 GB type), and checked the 256GB card in computer. The computer can read the card, and there were around 38 GB recordings on it.
The dashcams firmware version is 1.00.08.

Actually I checked the card if is't not some fake ****, but no. I can fully write and read the whole capacity of the card. BTW, the maximum read/write speeds are 87/51 MB/s.

Sounds like what one of my 64gb cards started to do after about a year of use. So far I have only filled one of the two 256 cards two times. This time was yesterday with the out of state drive to the father inlaw funeral I'll be slapping in the second card for the drive home tomorrow. That I have filled half way a couple times with no problems.

I am thinking that it may not be just firmware, but also subtle differences in the camera chip manufacturing. Oh, I also format the cards on the computer to fat32 instead of using the camera to format it. My old computer doesn't recognize the camera format. Same goes for speed testing, old usb ports are slow. My newest computer is 8 years old.

Good luck, out to get hotel breakfast.

I formatted yesterday both of my card with Rufus, FAT32, 32 KB sectors, and in this moment everything seems to be ok. We will see how it will work after next format in the dashcam.

FYI: I (or you) need the 256GB card primary for the longest possible motion recording in parking mode. My workplace is in rush street, and the 128 GB card is just for ca. 3 hours of recording. This Monday my car was involved in hit and run incident, and because my car was scratched, the car not moved enough to start the incident recording. On other side I was lucky, because the accident was recorded in the motion recordings folder, and it happend just few minutes before I found out that my car is scratched. If it happens 5 hours before that, the record is overwritten and I have no proof of that. BTW, this is a 4th accident in last 14 months when someone damaged my card when it was parked. Twice I found the record in the motion_timelapse_rec instead of parking_rec folder. So, next time I will buy the 400GB or bigger memory card.

When someone dinged my car, he hit it hard so it was reported as an event. Watching the motion records, it didn't record the guy pulling in out of the space next to me. But it did record him walking to and from his truck. I am now switching to time lapse to see how much it uses.

On December 19, 2018 I ordered a SanDisk Ultra A1 400 Gb U1 microSDXC card for my F770, fimware v1.00.03. After formatting in camera, PC and macOS, there was no way to make it work, I was so frustrated that had to give up. But after reading a couple @WeedeaterDM's posts I gave GUIFormat a try and voilà... the darn thing is now working like a charm.

I'll just have to wait until the card continuous mode partition is full or close to that, something that will take a while. I will update on the matter to let you guys know how it goes.

Item number: SDSQUAR-400G-GN6MA

1.jpg2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get it. So you spend a lot of money on a dash cam, put cheap microsd cards in that are not mls and then look for workarounds on getting it to work with third party brands after they redesigned the model to not take them.
In the event on an accident when you need the footage it might not be there or in an unreadable state.

I don't get it.
It's called math.

Currently the Thinkware 64gb card is running at $89 for 10,000 rewrites, that is if it is mlc. Lets convert that to time, with the 64gb I get about 3.5 hours per rewrite, that gives about 4 years of 24/7 use. Mine didn't last that long.
The Sandisk A1 400gb is $64 for 5,000 rewrites. The 400gb gives about 21 hours per rewrite. So about 12 years of 24/7 here. If you want to argue card size....
The Sandisk A1 64gb is $13 for 5,000 rewrites. Two cards would be $26 for 10,000 rewrites. We are still looking at less than 1/3 the cost of a Thinkware card.

I check my cards weekly. So far no issues with the Sandisk A1 256gb.

Oh so it's mainly cost based. I replace all SD cards every 3 years no matter how many writes have been peformed. Yes the thinkware cost more but over x years it works out next to nothing and peace of mind the cam is covered in the warranty period which third party are not.

And don't forget, because of Thinkware's stupid formating options, the small Thinkware branded memory cards are usless for parking recording. If my dashcam will work normally again, I will try a 512 GB memory card in it.

I formatted yesterday both of my card with Rufus, FAT32, 32 KB sectors, and in this moment everything seems to be ok. We will see how it will work after next format in the dashcam.

FYI: I (or you) need the 256GB card primary for the longest possible motion recording in parking mode. My workplace is in rush street, and the 128 GB card is just for ca. 3 hours of recording. This Monday my car was involved in hit and run incident, and because my car was scratched, the car not moved enough to start the incident recording. On other side I was lucky, because the accident was recorded in the motion recordings folder, and it happend just few minutes before I found out that my car is scratched. If it happens 5 hours before that, the record is overwritten and I have no proof of that. BTW, this is a 4th accident in last 14 months when someone damaged my card when it was parked. Twice I found the record in the motion_timelapse_rec instead of parking_rec folder. So, next time I will buy the 400GB or bigger memory card.

Hi e1,

Is your card still working after formatting FAT32 / 32KB and under the firmware 1.00.08?
Thanks.

Hi All,

This is a great thread and thanks for everyone sharing the experiences for various cards.

In Short, I have tested 2 cards and can confirm the following
1) Samsung Evo Plus2 U3 microSDXC UHS-I Card / Class 10 (64GB) (DOES NOT work either firmware 1.00.06 or 1.00.08)
2) SanDisk Ultra A1 64gb U1 (Works on Firmware 1.00.06. Did not try it on 1.00.08)

Special thanks to everyone who have helped in one way or another (e.g. the cards that work or doesn't, the old firmware downloads, the formatting to FAT32 for larger cards, etc.)

There are sort of 3 big variables here that we are dealing with
1) Thinkware: Camera/Chip Manufactured Date and Firmware.
We could only change the Firmware of the camera we have on hand. (upgrade or downgrade)

2) SD Cards: Over time, even the same looking/colour SD Card may have upgraded their controller or U1 to U3 (UHS)

3) File Format on SD Card: FAT32 or exFAT

1) For my first Samsung Card above.
a) Firmware downgrade to 1.00.06
b) Format on F770 and Desktop to FAT32
Either I will get Memory Card Error or Integrity issue. It doesn't fail on first few tests (usually parking mode) but later when you restart your car engine for a longer drive

2) For the SanDisk Ultra A1 64gb U1
a) I stick with the current Firmware of 1.00.06 (did not try upgrading back to 1.00.08 or downgrading to 1.00.03)
b) Did not have to format the card (use as is, exFAT)
So far no issues after 2 days. Stick to my "Don't fix it unless it is broken" belief.
If it fails, I may try formatting to FAT32 and/or downgrade Firmware to 1.00.03

I strongly suspect the "U1" criteria seems important based on the inputs from everyone. U3 is faster but not generally accepted on our F770.

Thinkware actively add blocks on SD cards. You need to downgrade your firmware massively to unlock the camera to be able to use other SD card brands

Thinkware actively add blocks on SD cards. You need to downgrade your firmware massively to unlock the camera to be able to use other SD card brands

1 to 2 versions behind is not massive...
1.00.08 is minor issue fix as stated in the change log
There isn't any more updates for more than a year...

1 to 2 versions behind is not massive...
1.00.08 is minor issue fix as stated in the change log
There isn't any more updates for more than a year...
You need to drop back further. I found. 3 is open to any SD card before thinkware started blocking vendors

You need to drop back further. I found. 3 is open to any SD card before thinkware started blocking vendors

1.00.03 is 2 versions before...
Somehow the numbers were not in running order I think...

And so far most who succeed are either on 1.00.03 and 1.00.06... :)

Trade off for non-Thinkware SD Card: Cost Savings from Price (3 times to 7 times difference) Vs latest firmware...

Last edited:
So far here are the cards that work in my F770 with the .03 firmware.
Samsung Evo Select 32gb U1
Samsung Evo Select 64gb U1
SanDisk Ultra A1 64gb U1
SanDisk Ultra A1 128gb U1
SanDisk Ultra A1 256gb U1

Here are the cards that I have tried and do not work in my F770
Samsung Evo Select 64gb U3
Samsung Evo Select 128gb U3
Samsung Evo Plus 128gb U3

Hi
I have a Samsung Evo Plus 256gb working in my F770
At first it prompted to format card every time i turned on the ignition.
I looked at the original 32gb thinkware card and saw it had 4mb empty space before partition.
I took the card out of the camera and created the partition with a 4mb space before it and put it back in the camera and for the last week it has worked without issue.

Last edited:
Back