Complete review of the SJ4000, a great little dash cam

GJHS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius A & C, SJ4000, M10, Mini 0806, Innovv C3,4, Xiaomi Yi
Let me say right at the start: this is a great little camera. I have heard so many good things about it and was so excited when I got the chance to get one. I thought it would be interesting to break from the norm and see if this camera, not often talked about here, could make a good dash cam. I know, I know many will say it looks like a GoPro and if I put that in my car etc. etc. I say yes, maybe you're right, yet it does so many things right.

I got this camera from Gearbest.com, who I have to say since they are a newly introduced seller, has been awesome with both super fast one week shipping and answering my many questions quickly. With all the fakes floating around, I had a lot of questions. They also have the cheapest price going for an SJ4000 at $84.99 with free shipping using code GBSJ4000.
The SJ4000 wasn't designed as a dedicated dash cam, this camera's main purpose is an action cam that the designer added dash cam features to. The question, are those features good enough? I say yes. I've been using this camera the past few weeks as my daily dash cam and it works great and hasn't disappointed. Everything you need in a dash cam is there. Things like auto start/stop, loop recording, the ability to set different clip lengths, the ability to lock files and even Motion Detection, all wrapped up in an easy to use interface. Of course, missing are dash cam specific things like G Sensors and GPS that not all users want or need. The SJ has very sharp video and the 170 degree lens gives very wide side to side coverage. I was surprised how wide this lens was.

image.jpg
image.jpg
SPECS

Model: SJ4000
Type : Sport Carmera
Chipset Name: Novatek
Chipset : Novatek 96650
Max External Card Supported: SD 32G
Special Function: HDMI output, Digital zoom, Microphone, Motion detection, AV-OUT
Battery type: Built-in
Capacity : 900mAh rechargable lithium battery
Power Supply: 4.2V 400mA
Charge Way : AC adapter
Working time: 1080P about 70 minutes
Display
Screen Size: 1.5inch
Screen Type: LCD
Wide Angle: 170 degree wide angle
Image Sensor: COMS
Camera Pixel: 12.0MP
Digital Zoom : 4X
Video/Image/Audio
Decode Format: H.264
Video Format: MOV
Video Resolution : VGA (640 x 480), 720P (1280 x 720), 1080P (1920 x 1080)
Video System: PAL, NTSC
Video Frame Rate: 30fps, 60fps
Video Output: HDMI
Image Format : JPG
Image Resolution : 2M (1920 x 1080), 12M (4032 x 3024), 1.3M (1280 x 960), 10M (3648 x 2736), VGA (640 x 480), 8M (3264 x 2448), 5M (2592 x 1944), 3M (2048 x 1536)
Audio System: Built-in microphone/speacker (AAC)
Functions
HDMI Output: Yes
USB Function: PC-Camera, USB-Disk
Interface Type: HDMI, USB 2.0
Language: Korean, English, Spanish, Italian, German, French, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Russian, Traditional Chinese
Other
Frequency: 60Hz, 50Hz
Dimension/Weight
Product Weight: 0.059 kg
Package Weight: 0.650 kg
Product Size (L x W x H): 6.0 x 4.0 x 2.5 cm / 2.4 x 1.6 x 1.0 inches
Package Size (L x W x H): 24.0 x 17.0 x 7.0 cm
Package Contents
Package Contents: 1 x DV(with waterproof case), 2 x Helmet Mount Set, 1 x Bycycle Mount Set, 1 x Clip, 5 x Ribbon, 1 x USB Cable, 1 x Adaptor, 1 x Wipper, 1 x User Manual

I mounted it using an extra Mobius adhesive mount
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

The SJ4000 takes 4 seconds to start up and start recording and has a 5 second delay on power disconnect and power down. Video bitrate is around 15 Mbits per second on normal.

It can be used with the battery removed for those who don't like using batteries in hot cars. The only problem is you will lose the clock settings. In testing, the camera settings did remain without the battery, only the clock didn't save. Start up on power connect and record is the same without the battery, however on power disconnect the SJ4000 turns off immediately, yet it will save the last file.

The SJ4000 gives you the ability to lock a file while recording, just press the Mode button twice. Once to turn the screen on and the second locks the file. Normally it's only one button press when the screen is on, yet with the screen off the Mode button wakes the screen first. The good part is the Mode button is large and easy to find so no hunting to find the right button. A key shows on the top of the SJ's screen to indicate it's locked and locked files show in windows explorer with "SOS" preceding the file number and in a separate folder so it's easy to find them.

image.jpg

The screen is 1.5 inches and has a nice set of icons to indicate your settings. You can see I have mine set for 3 minute clips, loop recording, HDR on, 1080p and the microphone on.

image.jpg

There is a blinking red dot on screen, a blinking blue light on the back as well as a blinking yellow light on top to show that the camera is recording. The car mount blocks the blue recording light as well as the red charge light. My simple fix was to drill a small hole in the back to reveal the light. I plan to make it bigger in the future to make it easier to see in daylight.

image.jpg

Mine came with the updated LCD screen and PCB version. The only real difference is the new PCB allows for AV out/FPV, not really used on dash cams.
If your stock FW version is 20140324 and previous - you have the OLD PCB & OLD LCD
If your stock FW version is 20140329 and above to 20140527 (not included) you have the OLD PCB & NEW LCD
If your stock FW version is 20140527 and above you have the NEW PCB & NEW LCD

image.jpg

Pros
Super sharp 1080p video, good night performance and a 170 degree wide angle lens in a nice small package.

A good support group and easy to find information. I have been using the RC owners group http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2090990

The mounts are compatible with the most GoPro mounts.

Easy to use interface with a good amount of adjustments

Can be used without the battery

Cons
The only real con I had with the SJ4000's performance was the Mode button being not sensitive enough and sometimes having to push it twice. Upon further research I realize this is a known problem with some cameras and luckily there is an easy enough fix.

The car cradle also blocks the recording and charging lights yet it's a simple fix with a small hole drilled in the back

The battery charge times were long for such a small battery, taking about 4 hours to charge.

Conclusion

I know many will not want to leave a GoPro looking camera in their car or on their bikes full time. I think that is about the only reason this camera hasn't gotten a big following here on DashCam Talk. Looking beyond that, it's a great camera, the video is sharp and clear and the camera gives you all the options you need in an easy to use format. The 170 degree lens surprised me compared to my A lens Mobius. The view is much wider while still being sharp.

I'm really impressed with the performance of the SJ. I think it's a great choice for someone who is looking for a great small camera at a good price and shouldn't be overlooked.

Last edited:
Reserved for future updates

I've been looking at these recently - nearly bought one for the holiday but went with the JooVuu waterproof case
For my Mobius.

It's a shame you don't have the B lens as I've found a few comparisons but nothing to really tell me which was better.

How long does the battery last as I'm tempted to see if I can get one in time before we go away?

Mobius A comparison is definitely next. The B would be more comparable because this SJ is wide. Maybe I can get my hands on one for a while to compare.

The battery lasts 70 minutes, which is a good amount of video or buy two. They're cheap and easier to swap

Update, Gearbest just dropped the price to $80 bucks with free shipping until Sept 22nd
Coupon code GBSJ4000

Last edited:
Is it the SJ4000_0714_FW is the latest firmware? my sj4000 FW version is 20140527 too, do the latest firmware have 1s or 2s photo mode for timelapse?

Is it the SJ4000_0714_FW is the latest firmware? my sj4000 FW version is 20140527 too, do the latest firmware have 1s or 2s photo mode for timelapse?
Sorry for the delay. The latest version for the new LCD/PCB is N2014110729V02 SJCAM-SJ4000
The database can be found at http://metropolitanmonkey.blogspot.de/p/sj4000-firmware.html
The latest only gives you the option to turn OSD off. It lets you remove the On-Screen-Display clutter from the screen (those little icons etc) so you get a nice clean video when using TV Out.

There have people who have an August firmware that came with their camera so there may be an update soon

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. The latest version for the new LCD/PCB is N2014110729V02 SJCAM-SJ4000
The database can be found at http://metropolitanmonkey.blogspot.de/p/sj4000-firmware.html
The latest only gives you the option to turn OSD off. It lets you remove the On-Screen-Display clutter from the screen (those little icons etc) so you get a nice clean video when using TV Out.

There have people who have an August firmware that came with their camera so there may be an update soon

Is this the latest firmware for SJCAM wifi version only or for the normal sj4000? or can it use in both?
I would like to have 1s or 2s photo mode for timelapse... can we configure it?

Is this the latest firmware for SJCAM wifi version only or for the normal sj4000? or can it use in both?
I would like to have 1s or 2s photo mode for timelapse... can we configure it?
Not sure about the wifi version. I haven't seen too much written about the wifi having a different firmware. 1s or 2s is much requested yet no answer yet

OK,

you encouraged me to ask Q's here, so.... here they come:

1. Where do I buy original SJ4000 and SJ4000 WiFi?
2. Does the name SJCAM on the box GUARANTEE for original?
3. Best prices?
4. Is support for the SJ4000 any good? Like Mobius? Suppliers website?
5. Are new ones (bought from now on) guaranteed with NEW PCB & NEW LCD?
6. Techmoan wouldn't use it as a dashcam, do you agree?
7. Gearbest only sells WiFi version? USD 111.49.....

Oh yeah, and what is A7?

1. Foxoffer, maybe Gearbest also
2. No
3. No idea
4. They don't do any ongoing development like Mobius do
5. You wouldn't find any old stock
6. Probably form factor would be the main reason not to
7. No idea

A7 is chipset planned for the updated version, hasn't been released still though

1. Foxoffer, maybe Gearbest also
2. No
3. No idea
4. They don't do any ongoing development like Mobius do
5. You wouldn't find any old stock
6. Probably form factor would be the main reason not to
7. No idea

A7 is chipset planned for the updated version, hasn't been released still though

OK, thanks. So A7 is just a new chipset for SJCAM SJ4000......

OK,

1. Where do I buy original SJ4000 and SJ4000 WiFi?
2. Does the name SJCAM on the box GUARANTEE for original?
3. Best prices?
4. Is support for the SJ4000 any good? Like Mobius? Suppliers website?
5. Are new ones (bought from now on) guaranteed with NEW PCB & NEW LCD?
6. Techmoan wouldn't use it as a dashcam, do you agree?
7. Gearbest only sells WiFi version? USD 111.49.....

Oh yeah, and what is A7?
2. It's supposed to, give it some time and I'm sure copies will show. One way to tell has been upgrading the firmware with an SJCam original firmware. The copies use different firmware so it usually breaks the fakes. Even places that sell originals, mix in fakes, so test each one.
3 Sales go up and down every week.
4 As @jokiin said, not really. Info comes from users like Metropolitan monkey
5 only difference in New PCB is Video out for FPV
6 I use it as a dash cam, just don't like leaving it when parked. The black is stealthy, just still looks a little like a GoPro. Size wise it's great and easy to mount. To be honest I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the Panorama either or any camera looking cams. One reason I like the Mobius, it looks cheap.
7 @GearBest sells both and had a coupon code GBSJ4000 that reduced the price of the non wifi. Write Alta@Gearbest.com or @GearBest here.

The A7 is supposed to be released in November. No real info yet

OK,

Hey I have the SJ4000 and the SJCAM SJ4000 wifi is days away. If you want me to test anything or upload any videos of reasonable things, just ask. I will post the raw video so you can compare.

Hey I have the SJ4000 and the SJCAM SJ4000 wifi is days away. If you want me to test anything or upload any videos of reasonable things, just ask. I will post the raw video so you can compare.

A Mobius 2.18 (wide lens if you have)/ SJ4000 side by side night recording in town and out of town would be nice. Both in standard setup with WDR ON perhaps ..... ?

Ok tomorrow night I will test my Mobius A (sorry) v.059, v2.18 and the SJ4000 HDR on and off. I can say most SJ users don't see a difference with HDR on. I turn mine off for that reason. It may take a few nights to post it all.

Thank for your attention at Gearbest. Yes, Gearbest sells the original SJ4000 and SJ4000 wifi.
For now, we offer SJCAM SJ4000 WIFI here: And here is a coupon code for SJCAM SJ4000 WIFI:
Coupon code: GBSJCAM
Price after the coupon is 92.99USD with free shipping(tracking number included)
Feel free to have a check and ask me anything.

Ok tomorrow night I will test my Mobius A (sorry) v.059, v2.18 and the SJ4000 HDR on and off. I can say most SJ users don't see a difference with HDR on. I turn mine off for that reason. It may take a few nights to post it all.

OK! Looking forward....!

Back