Concerns about heat issues with the BlackVue DR900S-2CH

I to live in Florida where it gets really, really hot and humid and I use the BlackVue 64 GB SD card with the single channel 900 and set it at H.264. Thus far I’ve had no issues. Since reading this thread I checked my dash cam footage every couple of days to make sure it’s still working. Hope you guys with issues did not get a lemon as mentioned.

I to live in Florida where it gets really, really hot and humid and I use the BlackVue 64 GB SD card with the single channel 900 and set it at H.264. Thus far I’ve had no issues. Since reading this thread I checked my dash cam footage every couple of days to make sure it’s still working. Hope you guys with issues did not get a lemon as mentioned.

Good to hear that you're not having any heat issues.

Why do you use H.264 instead of H.265 for 4K? H.265 will produce smaller files with better compression and equivalent video quality.

Good to hear that you're not having any heat issues.

Why do you use H.264 instead of H.265 for 4K? H.265 will produce smaller files with better compression and equivalent video quality.
have you tested this yourself?

Learned on this forum that some agency’s or courts may not have H.265 capabilities to view video for evidence. No other reasons. Yes I have tested this on my computer and no changes in quality observed. I know it takes up more space on my SD card, but I’m not overly concerned.

Got in my Samsung Endurance 128gb microSD and tested it today on my 900S-2ch and the same issue. It was about 80F out today and after a couple hours I got notification that the blackvue was overheating and it shut down.

Im pretty disappointed in the 900S and might replace it with the 750S since everyone is saying it never overheats. Additionally, the 750S seems exponentially better at night in lowlight conditions.

So whats the point of parking mode if, during the day, it cant stay on due to overheating and at night, it cant see anything unless theres is ample lighting? 4k and Highest quality looks fantastic during the day or in high light conditions.

I'll try 1080p and h264 tomorrow - but even if that works, I shouldve just gotten the 750S for better night recording

I'll try 1080p and h264 tomorrow - but even if that works, I shouldve just gotten the 750S for better night recording

that may help with the heat as it won't be pushing things as hard, it still won't match the 750s for low light performance though, a native 2mp sensor has the advantage over the 8mp sensor

Blackvue SERIOUSLY needs to address this issue via firmware, etc.

This is supposedly the best dashcam system available and thats why I sprung for it and that cool battery.

What good is that battery if the damn camera shuts down during warm weather.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

that may help with the heat as it won't be pushing things as hard, it still won't match the 750s for low light performance though, a native 2mp sensor has the advantage over the 8mp sensor

Today, similar temperature as the previous, I set the recording quality to 1080p60 Highest and h264... no overheating messages. I'll be trying 1080p60 Highest and h265 tomorrow and then 4k30 and h264 the next day

Today, similar temperature as the previous, I set the recording quality to 1080p60 Highest and h264... no overheating messages. I'll be trying 1080p60 Highest and h265 tomorrow and then 4k30 and h264 the next day

4k30 and h264 overheated after 3-4 hours. 1080p60 and h265 also overheated in 4 hours. You basically have to use 750S settings to last the longest.

Looks like we'll have to change settings for hot weather to get it to stay on.

Not ideal, but it'll have to do until Blackvue addresses this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Go with the 900.. they will fix the overheating issues. I’m running mine on 60/30/264.. on 105F degree weather for a few hours.. it turned off once.
One other thing to keep in mind.. all dashcams turn off as a safety feature when is too hot. But as far as I know. Only the 900 lets you know.
4K doesn’t do as good in no light situations. The 750s seems to do better. Videos I’ve seen and my own testing.. it’ll be a 50/50 thing with either. Yes the 750 is brighter. But usually you can’t clearly see a license plate. Is either to bright or to pixelated..
Yes the 900 has better image.. but it could be to dark.. so I guess it depends on personal usage and experience..
I’m keeping my 900 for now.. I don’t usually park my baby in pitch black streets.
I have a year to exchange it.. specially with the credit card I paid with... lol... they are awesome..
Couple of other things.. according to blackboxmycar.. the overheating issue with SD cards was a thinkware issue..
and secondly... yes I think the overheating issue in parking mode when using 4K 265 could be fix with a firmware update.. if they can make the cam switch to other than 4K 265 when it detects parking mode. I’m rhinking switching down.. because 4K 265 makes the cam work to hard.. and is not really needed in parking mode. They would also.. I think.. fix it not all.. some of the sucky night time/dark sensitivity issues...

Last edited:
That's interesting because I've come from a opia2 with all the additional accessories and decided to get the DR900S-2CH.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Any issues with your Opia2? Mine has been solid 24/7 in driving and parking mode for a long time now...

One of the problem with overheating is definitely the wrong micro sd

the problem of overheating and freezes at times disappeared with this samsung pro endurance card

^ THIS! I have the 128GB Samsung Pro Endurance, and it has helped with my DR900’s overheating! Well... it didn’t save it during 100F days though haha... but much better that it at least works in 90F heat now.

updated to 1.004 yesterday and enabled timelapse mode - no overheat messages with 4k/x264. It hasn't been as hot but internal car temp still gets as hot. I suspect that its not having to write on the SD card as often (once every 30 minutes, instead of every minute). Will do more tests

updated to 1.004 yesterday and enabled timelapse mode - no overheat messages with 4k/x264. It hasn't been as hot but internal car temp still gets as hot. I suspect that its not having to write on the SD card as often (once every 30 minutes, instead of every minute). Will do more tests

I had a similar experience today. I have the Samsung Pro Endurance and parked outside in direct sunlight and the camera overheated after about an hour when coming out of parking mode. After it cooled down and restarted, I switched it to time lapse and it sat outside for another 90 minutes with no issues. Temperature was 93 F (felt like 98 according to weather.com). The temperature in the car stays at or under 104 F because cabin overheat protection turns the fans/AC on to keep it less than 105.

4K, Extreme mode, H.264

I upgraded from a 750S-2CH and don't see any point in dropping the resolution to FHD, so I'll get it to work in 4K one way or another.

Last edited:
Now I’m curious. What do you drive? That it keeps the cabin cool when parked.

Tesla maybe

This.

I'm wondering with the motion detection mode if reducing the number of active zones will be less processor intensive and ultimately less heat generation

Back