Concerns rotating the camera will break wire/solder connection

Boston's Mike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0806
Concerns about rotating the camera.

My batch 2 mini 0806 has finally arrived. I will need to rotate my mini 0806 about 110 degrees for installation. I am concern about the internal wire issues reported on this forum when the camera is rotated.

I would like to inspect the wiring before rotating the camera.

I'm thinking of just opening the connector of the camera to see it the wire has excess slack in that area. If it does, I was hoping I could push the excess wire into the camera's body. However, from looking at photos of the camera, it appears the wire is held in place by the rotating ring. It appears I would have to open the camera's body to move the wire. I have attached the photo from the 0806 review posted on DashCamTalk. It shows how the wire is held by the ring. The ring appears to have a molding to clamp the wire. This is above the red circle drawn on the photo.

I don't want to void the warranty. But I also don't want to sent it back should the wire or solder connection break by rotating the camera. Especially when it can be prevented by the above.

Is what I said about about the wire slack and being held by the ring correct? Any comments or suggestions?

Mini-0806-GPS-Fix-6.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the photo again. It appears the wire damage may have been caused by the wire being pulled out of the plastic clamp when the camera was rotated.

The end cap should come off fairly easily if you follow the picture guide. (Somebody did have difficulty with one of the newer ones recently though as they have been made tighter.)

With the end cap removed you can slide the ring off it's mount, be careful not to drop the little ball baring and spring - do it over a tray to catch them.

You don't need to go any further than that to check if the cable is free to rotate and to be able to adjust the amount of slack.

I don't think you actually need to remove the ring to check it. Don't take the ring right off if you don't need to as the person who put it together should know how it fits better than you do, it is probably correct and you could reassemble it incorrectly. Obviously if it is wrong then it is worth working out how it should go with some experimentation and correcting it.

If it rotates easily and you can't feel any resistance then it is probably OK anyway and you don't need to bother. If it becomes stiff towards the end of the rotation then stop and check it before you pull the cable apart.

3rd batch will prevent that pinching wire from what I heard.
You can attach (hot glue) a small piece of hard plastic around the hole/wire that protrudes little farther than the rotating pieces so the wire is protected from getting into the two pieces.
Also, if you have enough slack, you can hot glue or tie down the cable on the board so it doesn't pull those tiny solder joints when rotating.

Thanks, I was able to rotate the camera to the angle needed for mounting without noticing any addition resistance. So I didn't open the camera and I'm all set for now.

I just hope rotating the camera didn't weaken the wires or solder connections and the problem shows up later.

Rotating mine broke it :(
I'm definitely not going to be rebuying this brand again.

Rotating mine broke it :(
I'm definitely not going to be rebuying this brand again.
3rd batch has some housing changes specifically to avoid wire pinching and pulling the soldered joints.
Maybe you should have searched for threads on the dashcam before purchasing. Should have waited little more until the problems were sorted out.
It's a very good camera when working.

that helps :( lol
I tried to fix mine as gps was not working but failed even with soldering experience so I don't recommend fixing it yourself if you are not experienced.
It costs less than 20 to send it back so replacement may still be an option.

It will cost me more I believe since I am sending from Australia to US :/
I'm waiting for Gearbest to reply. Maybe they might cover the shipping(I doubt it)

It will cost me more I believe since I am sending from Australia to US :/
I'm waiting for Gearbest to reply. Maybe they might cover the shipping(I doubt it)
As far as I know, gearbest doesn't have US location so check with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
today I received one of the two cameras I bought to gearbest and gps is not working. I opened the base to check the wires, they are ok, I also checked the wires on the camera connector and are ok, but I can't open the camera to see if there any cut cable. I'm trying to chat with somebody on gearbest

today I received one of the two cameras I bought to gearbest and gps is not working. I opened the base to check the wires, they are ok, I also checked the wires on the camera connector and are ok, but I can't open the camera to see if there any cut cable. I'm trying to chat with somebody on gearbest
Do you see the green LED light up? Remember that GPS generally does not work inside the house...

Do you see the green LED light up? Remember that GPS generally does not work inside the house...

no, I don't see the green light

Do you have a GPS base, or a non-GPS base? (you can tell by the weight).

Do you have a GPS base, or a non-GPS base? (you can tell by the weight).

with gps. in fact, i've never seen this camera sold without gps

IMG20150623152832.jpg

IMG20150623152755.jpg

Last edited:
today I made a cross test, I plugged my old camera into the new base and viceversa, and the problem is in the new base. when I plug the camera in the old base it powers on and gps begins to work

One thing you could try, but doesn't make much sense is power up the base without the camera attached, then plug in the camera...

If that doesn't work then I suggest you buy another base since they are available separately and the cost is better than taking the risk of sending a good camera back to China. Unless you can get your supplier to just accept the base back for a swap with a new one...

I bought it on gearbest, I opened a support case 3 days ago, and I'm waiting for an answer. If I don't get any response in a reasonable time, I'll open a case in PayPal

Back