Corrupted File System

Gary Edstrom

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is not so much a complaint as it is an observation: I notice that my new DR900X Plus/UHD-FHD has one of the very same problems that my old DR650GW-2CH/FHD-HD had: It apparently can corrupt a file or files during shutdown. I know that the BlackVue series of cameras use a super capacitor to give it a couple of seconds to shut down properly when you disconnect the power. However, on occasions, when I have allowed it to shutdown properly and then removed the micro-SD card and plugged it into my Windows computer, after running a diskcheck on the chip, it reports that it has successfully repaired some sort of file problem. I remove the chip from the camera every 5 days to dump everything into my computer where I save all old videos for 3 months. Of course, I save event videos forever, but I save everything for 90 days in case something comes up after-the-fact that I need to check out.

Have you tried to not run checkdisk on the memory card ?
I have never run that i have to admit, but i have often checked memory cards with H2testW and crystal disk mark, and of course used SD orgs Sdformatter tool

If its a old card you have from previous systems, it might be on the way out, these things do have a limited life span, and as i have found out a couple of times some times ULTRA short, like the 64 GB card dying before i got to fill it just 1 - 2 times.

Have you tried to not run checkdisk on the memory card ?
I have never run that i have to admit, but i have often checked memory cards with H2testW and crystal disk mark, and of course used SD orgs Sdformatter tool

If its a old card you have from previous systems, it might be on the way out, these things do have a limited life span, and as i have found out a couple of times some times ULTRA short, like the 64 GB card dying before i got to fill it just 1 - 2 times.
This is a brand new approved BlackVue 256GB chip that came with the camera. I know that chips don't last forever. Over the 7 years I had my old camera, I replaced the chip a couple of times. I always have a total of 2 approved chips on-hand. The problem has not prevented me from recovering files from the chip. It is just interesting. I keep 2 chips available because it can take up to 3 hours to dump a 256GB chip to my computer. So, I pop in an empty chip as I remove the old chip. That way I am back in operation immediately and can dump the chip to my computer at leisure. Under my normal driving conditions, I don't come close to filling up a chip in 5 days. I change it every couple of days, however, when I am traveling cross-country. I have gathered some interesting videos during all those years!

Yes file transfer speeds can be very slow.

I did a test a while back using the small USB card readers that come with many cameras ( viofo and street guardian ) and then my USB 3 card reader on a USB 3 port ( i can not recall if i also had a camera in there working as card reader connected to PC )
The small card readers ( also plugged into USB 3 port ) was around 12 - 15 MB/s as i recall, where as my kingston USB 3 card reader give me the full speed the card can read with regard to file size too, but much - much faster, really like night & day compared.
This of course also rely on the reds speed the card tan do, but this are most often much larger than write speeds, well at least on some cards, my fastest cards i think are 120 MB/s write speed and over 200 MB/s read speed.

If you are having these kind of problems with a after all not budget system like Blackvue, i would for sure talk to them about it.

I am looking for a new card reader as the micro slot in the old one are not working well, so have to use regular SD slot with card in a adapter, though that do not influence speeds, and i do have tonnes of free adapter cards.

TBH i think later i will try to see how fast i can move the content of a full 256 GB card to my PC, never tried it but i doubt it will be hours.

Just finished my test, copying a full 256 GB Sandisk extreme pro filled with 3 minute video segments, took just shy of 1 hour 2 minutes and the speed averaged around 65 MB/s according to the computer.

Just finished my test, copying a full 256 GB Sandisk extreme pro filled with 3 minute video segments, took just shy of 1 hour 2 minutes and the speed averaged around 65 MB/s according to the computer.
Thank you for the info!
Gary

Just a little FYI, and a easy test to run for me.
My 1 hour are a lot less then the 3 hours you get, so maybe you have room for optimization, or maybe you just dont care and just do other stuff meanwhile.
Moving a little data around i dont think slow most computers down to a crawl, i am myself on a 12/24 core threadripper CPU with 64 GB of RAM, so no bottle neck here, but a more modest computer i recon will also handle that and let you do other stuff meanwhile.
I was watching the news meanwhile and brushing up on some of the favorites in my browser.
But a machine like mine i could probably also have launched a game and played a little.

I found a faster way to dump the chip to my computer. It was the most logical way and I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. I plugged the chip into a micro-SD to SD adapter and then plugged it into the SD port on my laptop. It downloaded to my computer much faster than any of the other connection methods. I computed that, if the chip were 100% full, it would take just under 70 minutes to copy to my computer. That is certainly better than the 3 hours by my older method.

O yeah in the right place at the right time, speed are always good.
When i get a new apartment, well first of all it must have a fiber internet connection, and i do hope i can get 2.5 Gbit then, even if 1 Gbit are plenty for what i do on the net, but ill gladly pay a few bucks more ( not a lot ) and have even more headroom.

Back