Covert in house camera wanted.

Well that was easier than I thought it would be.
Opened it up
20141019_113134.jpg
stripped it out
20141019_114233.jpg
extension lead onto the lens
20141019_115704.jpg
enlarged th IR hole to fit the lens then put the power pack in to try it out.
20141019_115159.jpg
It worked a treat so I swapped out the power pack and replaced the 240v lead with a usb lead.
20141019_141234.jpg
Put the top back on and job done.
20141019_134007.jpg
One very stealthy mobius spy camera.
20141019_141937.jpg
I tried it out with the circuit board still in the mobius case for about 4hrs continuous recording while we had our lunch and went to visit my mother then sister, came home and the case/dvd player wasn't even warm to the touch. Very pleased with the result :)
Anyway I have ordered a super-cap just in case and another mobius with a B lens if it needs a wider FOV. (If not I'm sure I will find another use for it) ;)
Sorry about the pics I only had my phone with me.
But thanks all for the input guy's you've been a real help.

Great job. Another new application for the mobius.

Could not be any better, just superb, impossible to detect.

Thank you guys. Its turning out to be a very reliable and versatile little camera this Mobius isn't it.

Well, that was fast. Very nice work!
I have two generic USB power packs identical to yours (differently branded) and they are excellent. I've run a dash cam with one for approximately 20 hours. A Mobius would likely run longer than that.
How about posting some sample footage. It would be interesting to see what kind of results you get.

Well, that was fast. Very nice work!
I have two generic USB power packs identical to yours (differently branded) and they are excellent. I've run a dash cam with one for approximately 20 hours. A Mobius would likely run longer than that.
How about posting some sample footage. It would be interesting to see what kind of results you get.

Thanks Dashmellow it was definitely easier than I thought it would be, the hardest part was getting the hole the correct size so the camera did not have any of the corners cut off in the video.
As for a sample as soon as I checked the footage I connected it to mSetup to alter the setting as I had the audio turned off, then I formatted the card ready to take it up Mothers house not thinking to upload a sample to the PC :p But I will try and make a sample to upload after work tomorrow night if I get time.
I was pleased with the results in my house and mothers house is a lot more well lit so should do a good job.

If the mobius is connected to a power supply is there any need to have a battery or a capacitor fitted ?

Yes to save the last file on power disconnect.

If I check "disables USB Data Port charging " will there be enough charge in the battery to save the last file when I pull the mains power?

I think that in basic setting "power-off disconnect" set to immediate.
That is if you are using mSetup program for pc i mean.

If I check "disables USB Data Port charging " will there be enough charge in the battery to save the last file when I pull the mains power?
That setting applies to the camera being charged or not when connected to a 'data' host, for example a PC. What I believe is that setting is useful when connecting the camera frequently to a PC, to prevent battery exhaustion. When the camera is used for a short period of time (only using 1-5% battery life or so), you usually do not want to charge it to 100% again. When using a capacitor this setting should be enabled, as you want the capacitor to always be as fully charged as possible.
This setting does not affect the charging behavior when using normal 5v power from a USB wall adapter, car power lead or battery pack.

Last edited:
Update:)
Well Guy's after only two days of recording with this little mobius covert camera we got exactly what we wanted to catch on video. One of the care team putting mother to bed then going through her purse and stealing money from it. The culprit was immediately suspended from the job and arrested the next day by the police and is now out on bail + suspended until the investigation is over. Needless to say we are Very happy with the results, and to put a cheery on the cake I was praised by the police for the quality of the surveillance footage.
It should be a month or so before I will be able to show any video clips for legal reasons but I will post some up when I can.

Just want to say a BIG THANKS to all who had any input to this post when I needed the help ;)

I think that police is happy too, sharp and clear video as evidence.
Good result.

The person must have felt like my namesake in this clip ( allways called this movie life of me )

Back