CPL Filter Adjustment

Dave Woj

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been asked before but on my Mini 0806 you could rotate the filter for best performance. I don;t see an easy way of doing that with this filter. Is there another filter that will fit that can be adjusted easily?

The filter should be properly adjusted from the factory, but the filter itself i think are not glued in place in the plastic bracket so you should still have a chance to adjust it but it is of course somewhat tedious this way.

The filter should be properly adjusted from the factory, but the filter itself i think are not glued in place in the plastic bracket so you should still have a chance to adjust it but it is of course somewhat tedious this way.
I've seen what your saying is true and set up at the factory but I'm not sure it's cutting down on the glare much. The adjustment should really be done with the camera on, filter on and turning until the relection is minimal. I thought I saw a filter that maybe fit the viofo that was able to be adjusted easier. Maybe it will fit. I'll look around. Thanks for the reply

I think you can mark the edge of the CPL filter itself you can see, and then pinch on the filter itself with 2 fingers and then turn it in the mount to either side.
I normally throw a piece of paper on the dashboard so i can judge of its reflection how i get on.

Yeah, not much of that filter is protruding from the holder so it's difficult to get a grip on it.
Once I get it adjusted, I'll need to mark what side is up. They don't seem to have any instructions on that.
There is a larger slot and small slot in the holder and I don't remember how the filter was oriented when I took off the camera

large slot up or filter can fall out, it have happened for a few people, but in regard to filter effect up or down should be the same.

My pleasure, happy motoring with your new SG product.

yep, pre adjusted, any adjustment you make will reduce its effectiveness

Here's an update to the filter adjustment.

The filter may have been be pre adjusted at the factory but it was not within spec.
It wasn't as easy as adjusting the mini 0806 filter since that is magnetic and can be rotated on camera.

I needed to take the filter out of the holder in order to rotate it. For me it was impossible to do inside the holder.

Once I had it out, I was able to hold it against the camera lens and rotate it. I had it viewing a live image of a bright light reflection off a countertop. Once I rotated it and eliminated the reflection, I marked the top centered edge with a marker, inserted it back into the holder with that mark showing centered in the large slot.

If it ever shifts. I just need to rotate it in the holder with that line centered.

Speaking of CPL my experience has nothing to do with adjustments as I have found none were needed in my case. However, after installing dashcam and several test drives my video(s) were grainy/fuzzy then realized a new firmware (1.8) update was available so completed the upgrade with same results. After verifying settings decided to remove CPL for cleaning and to make certain I had removed protective plastic lens cover from dashcam. On close inspection the issue was found, although I had removed the outer protective plastic covering from CPL and dashcam it was then I discovered there was also a protective lens cover on the inside of the CPL. Although I felt like a fool:eek: in not noticing in initial setup it does go to show the level of detail from Street Guardian even in packaging. Enjoying great video experience now..
@jon thanks again for your outstanding support:)

I think it would be a good idea to change protective plastic pads to none transparent ones, we have seen a few issues with forgotten / overlooked pads from users.

I think it would be a good idea to change protective plastic pads to none transparent ones, we have seen a few issues with forgotten / overlooked pads from users.
Agreed! Opaque bright yellow (or some other such hi-vis color) would be ideal.

we've recently changed to this

pull tab.jpg

Speaking of CPL my experience has nothing to do with adjustments as I have found none were needed in my case. However, after installing dashcam and several test drives my video(s) were grainy/fuzzy then realized a new firmware (1.8) update was available so completed the upgrade with same results. After verifying settings decided to remove CPL for cleaning and to make certain I had removed protective plastic lens cover from dashcam. On close inspection the issue was found, although I had removed the outer protective plastic covering from CPL and dashcam it was then I discovered there was also a protective lens cover on the inside of the CPL. Although I felt like a fool:eek: in not noticing in initial setup it does go to show the level of detail from Street Guardian even in packaging. Enjoying great video experience now..
@jon thanks again for your outstanding support:)

Yeah, total 3 protective plastic pieces which some may not notice if they don't take the CPL filter off.
As for your CPL not needing an adjustment. I'm just wondering how you determined this.

The reason I ask is because if you view without the CPL filter and then with the filter, you may see a difference.
But if that filter is off by 1/16" of an inch rotation it will make a big difference.

When I viewed the reflection on my countertop with the filter right out of the box. There was still about 25% glare coming off the countertop. When I adjusted it, it was virtually none to 5%.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that it was adjusted as well as it could be.

Sorry, I wish I had a before and after image to show you. If I have time I will show you what I mean.

Us geeks will play around with anything thats not nailed in place, i have also had my fingers on just about all of my CPL filters,,,,, just to make sure :playful:

Yeah, total 3 protective plastic pieces which some may not notice if they don't take the CPL filter off.
As for your CPL not needing an adjustment. I'm just wondering how you determined this.

The reason I ask is because if you view without the CPL filter and then with the filter, you may see a difference.
But if that filter is off by 1/16" of an inch rotation it will make a big difference.

When I viewed the reflection on my countertop with the filter right out of the box. There was still about 25% glare coming off the countertop. When I adjusted it, it was virtually none to 5%.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that it was adjusted as well as it could be.

Sorry, I wish I had a before and after image to show you. If I have time I will show you what I mean.
Put some polarised sunglasses on and then look at the filter from the camera side, it should show pure black only when perfectly at 90 degrees to horizontal.
You could also hold it in front of your LCD TV, again held at exactly 90 degrees to normal it should completely block the TV image, any error will be obvious.

You could also hold it in front of your LCD TV, again held at exactly 90 degrees to normal it should completely block the TV image, any error will be obvious.

not all LCD panels will show the effect at 90 degrees, some are 45, the sunglasses is probably more reliable

not all LCD panels will show the effect at 90 degrees, some are 45, the sunglasses is probably more reliable
Even polarized sunglasses are a bit of a gamble. I have 4 pair and know for a fact there are at least 2 different orientations.

Even polarized sunglasses are a bit of a gamble. I have 4 pair and know for a fact there are at least 2 different orientations.

possible as well, I asked my optometrist if they were all aligned in the same direction but even he wasn't sure

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D SGGCX2PRO & SGGCX2PRO+ 16
Back