Dash Cam 55 buffered parking mode

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mentioned this in my other thread but wanted to create a new one so it is easier to find.

Since it is a sought after feature and Garmin's manual doesn't really go into much detail, here is what I found out.

55 does have a decent implementation of buffered parking mode. It will record about 10 seconds prior to and about 30 seconds after a trigger (where trigger is either motion or G-sensor trip)

In addition, there is a timer where you can set for how long the parking mode is on. The settings are: 2 (default), 4, 6 ,8, 10, 12, 24 hours and "always"

Also, the parking accessory module has battery discharge prevention circuit that can be set to: 11.7V (default), 12V, 12.3V, 23.4, 24V, 24.6V.

Hi,

i installed the parking mode cable... and now i can set up in the cameras menu, how long the parking mode should be on. But when i stop driving, the camera goes to shutdown. Is there an indicator, to see, when parking mode is active?

Where do you set the battery discharge prevention voltage?

Hi,

i installed the parking mode cable... and now i can set up in the cameras menu, how long the parking mode should be on. But when i stop driving, the camera goes to shutdown. Is there an indicator, to see, when parking mode is active?

Where do you set the battery discharge prevention voltage?
When camera is in parking (stand by) mode, the LED is blinking. Also when you turn off your engine there is a message that tells you that camera is going into the parking mode.
To set the battery discharge voltage, you will have to open the parking mode accessory module. Look at the pics I posted in another thread.

One more detail that is not mentioned anywhere is that the parked recording uses 1080p/30 even if your normal recording resolution is set to 1440p. The bitrate for parked recording is about 10Mbps.

Is there a continuous time lapse whilst park option?

Holy moly. Ok I’ve been through all kinds of crap trying to get my DC 55 parking mode cable to work. I’ve purchased two cables just to be sure. Constant to positive terminal, ground to bare metal ground, Acc to switched 12v. The dc never powers on that way. Powers fine with the cigarette plug. Thoughts? I’ve wired several cams this way and also to the fuse box. Neither way works with this camera. Help!

Holy moly. Ok I’ve been through all kinds of crap trying to get my DC 55 parking mode cable to work. I’ve purchased two cables just to be sure. Constant to positive terminal, ground to bare metal ground, Acc to switched 12v. The dc never powers on that way. Powers fine with the cigarette plug. Thoughts? I’ve wired several cams this way and also to the fuse box. Neither way works with this camera. Help!
Maybe a stupid question: Do you have it enabled in the settings?

Maybe a stupid question: Do you have it enabled in the settings?
I don’t see it in the settings with the cigarette cable. When the parking mode cable is plugged in, the camera never powers on. I have two official Garmin cables from Amazon and Best Buy.

I don’t see it in the settings with the cigarette cable. When the parking mode cable is plugged in, the camera never powers on. I have two official Garmin cables from Amazon and Best Buy.
Get a multimeter and confirm that the voltages are correct. The camera should turn on immediately when +12V is live.
You could also take the kits to Best buy to confirm that they are ok.

I’ve done that. I’m stumped. 12.4v present. Camera doesn’t come on. I guess I’ve exhausted the troubleshooting.

Do you have another camera or some other gadget that is powered from mini USB?

Aside from parking mode, if the camera works when powered from cig. lighter adapter, it means the camera is ok. The chances of two broken kits are slim.
That's why I would suggest taking it to Best buy for diagnostics (they install stuff like this). It should take 5 minutes and no problem if you purchased it there.

When camera is in parking (stand by) mode, the LED is blinking. Also when you turn off your engine there is a message that tells you that camera is going into the parking mode.
To set the battery discharge voltage, you will have to open the parking mode accessory module. Look at the pics I posted in another thread.
You mention another thread where you posted pictures but I can't find that thread. Can you please tell me which thread that is? Thank you.

I am having trouble installing my dashcam, I tried to hook it up with a fuse tap to the fuse box, but it's not recognizing when the vehicle is turned on. How did you setup your dash cam?

Thank you. I was able to find a good description of how to set it up....

The yellow goes attached with a live fuse such as a radio, car light, etc. something that works without the ignition on. They have the info on youtube video that can assist you on how to find it

the red one could be attached to any fuse such as for a cigarette lighter, or anything else that only works when the car ignition is on.

very important to know that both wires (RED and YELLOW) need to be plugged in the fuse via a connector to have the system fully working.

Is it possible to set the parking mode to g-sensor only? I have a lot of useless parking mode events because of passengers and traffic. Its hard for me to find the g-sensor event in which someone leaves a considerable dent in my number plate.

Is it possible to set the parking mode to g-sensor only? I have a lot of useless parking mode events because of passengers and traffic. Its hard for me to find the g-sensor event in which someone leaves a considerable dent in my number plate.
Nope, not possible.

Back