Dash cam for my '22 3500HD Denali

laknox

Reaction score
Country
United States
While I'd love it if GM went the Tesla route and captured video from all the cameras on my truck on the fly, I know that's likely not going to happen, so... What I'm looking for is a:

1) front/rear system to be hardwired in with super capacitor power;
2) is capable of being powered on even when the engine is not running. (My Thinkware F200 Pro will NOT stay active if the engine is not running, not even in accessory mode. Would make it very hard to show cops a video after a wreck if my engine can't run, unless I always carry a micro SD adapter and some way to play the video.);
3) has instant push to the cloud or some sort of external storage; this is because I've seen several dash cam videos where corrupt cops, and others, have purposely deleted dash cam, and cell phone, video files to cover their illegal actions;
4) has the capability to add, or swap in, a connection to a 2nd rear cam that can be wired into my fifth wheel RV.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Lyle

Hi Lyle. Sounds like BlackVue would likely be a good option if the F200 Pro was frustrating for ya.

I can confirm that when it's hardwired, in parking mode with the engine off, you can still fully connect to the camera's wifi network, and change anything as needed.

BlackVue's 770 and 970 models are cloud-capable, and with a wifi connection in the vehicle, you can send plenty of file types to the cloud manually or automatically as needed.

The only thing I'd be a bit unsure of is how you have things planned with your RV, sure you can get a front and rear version of this camera, but running that cable through the front of your Denali and your RV would basically need to be done every time, unless you're fine with hanging wires. A standard rear connecting cable would also not really be weather resistant which may be a bit dangerous, depending how you wire things. I'd recommend considering the DR770X-2CH TRUCK variant, which comes with a long 15M (49ft) cable which is water-proof, and a water-proof exterior camera, which is supposed to be bolted to the frame of your vehicle.

Hi Lyle. Sounds like BlackVue would likely be a good option if the F200 Pro was frustrating for ya.

I can confirm that when it's hardwired, in parking mode with the engine off, you can still fully connect to the camera's wifi network, and change anything as needed.

BlackVue's 770 and 970 models are cloud-capable, and with a wifi connection in the vehicle, you can send plenty of file types to the cloud manually or automatically as needed.

The only thing I'd be a bit unsure of is how you have things planned with your RV, sure you can get a front and rear version of this camera, but running that cable through the front of your Denali and your RV would basically need to be done every time, unless you're fine with hanging wires. A standard rear connecting cable would also not really be weather resistant which may be a bit dangerous, depending how you wire things. I'd recommend considering the DR770X-2CH TRUCK variant, which comes with a long 15M (49ft) cable which is water-proof, and a water-proof exterior camera, which is supposed to be bolted to the frame of your vehicle.

Given that I'm in AZ, would the Thinkware U3000 be a better choice, due to the heat, or the BlackVue 7000 Box? (Yes, I just read your article.)

Thanks,
Lyle

I'd definitely vouch for the U3000 when it comes to heat. While the idea of having the main unit of the DR770 Box hidden away is a strong one for avoiding the heat, it's a bit too early to say anything too certain. The U3000 is still plenty new in it's own right, but the U1000 has more than proved itself in high heat, and the U3000 is positioned to take that even further.

Just the other day we ran some rather conclusive tests with the U3000 in high heat, but you'll need to stay tuned on our youtube channel for the editing to finish in about a week to see for yourself :D.

I'd definitely vouch for the U3000 when it comes to heat. While the idea of having the main unit of the DR770 Box hidden away is a strong one for avoiding the heat, it's a bit too early to say anything too certain. The U3000 is still plenty new in it's own right, but the U1000 has more than proved itself in high heat, and the U3000 is positioned to take that even further.

Just the other day we ran some rather conclusive tests with the U3000 in high heat, but you'll need to stay tuned on our youtube channel for the editing to finish in about a week to see for yourself :D.

I will be sure to check back for your test results next week.

Lyle

I forgot to mention that my plan, if doable, would be to mount the rear cam to the =inside= of my fifth wheel, at the top of the rear window. This would save having to add an external mount, as RVs are prone to leaks when you add on stuff and I sure as hell don't want to have the rear wall of my rig delaminate due to water intrusion. I was just up on my roof and noticed some spots that I'm going to have to address before I have issues.

Lyle

Gotcha, such a setup would definitely be possible, and mounting to the interior does make things easier. Do keep in mind that the default front and rear cable for the U3000 is only 25ft long. There are 31ft variants of the front and rear cable for other Thinkware models, but I don't see one for the U3000 since it's so new.

Gotcha, such a setup would definitely be possible, and mounting to the interior does make things easier. Do keep in mind that the default front and rear cable for the U3000 is only 25ft long. There are 31ft variants of the front and rear cable for other Thinkware models, but I don't see one for the U3000 since it's so new.

I was thinking that, if I went to the BlackVue and if the connectors are compatible, I could use the 15m weatherproof cable from the Truck model in lieu of the included cable. If the connectors aren't compatible, then I'm f'd. :)

I still can't figure out why someone hasn't come up with a system to tap into the truck's on-board cams to keep them "hot" all the time, then simply add a rear and/or side-mount cams that the trucks are already set up to accept. FWIW, newer towable RVs (not sure about motorhomes) have mounts built into the side marker lights. Power and video cables are bundled behind the light fixture. My Denali has 2 video cable ports right next to the 7-way light/brake plug on the bumper.

Lyle

Not great news on the compatibility front, when it comes to cross-compatibility to Thinkware, that's a hard no. If you were to cross the weatherproof cable over to another BlackVue it's still not a great option, since the weatherproof has a special screwed-on tip to the rear camera for weatherproofing, while still being the same cable as the interior version. There are likely ways around that, but it would be easier just to run the exterior camera in the interior, plus the weatherproof housing of the exterior is removable. You'll need some 3M adhesives for that instead of bolting, but I suspect no issues on that front at least.

I definitely hear you on things not being as compatible with your current systems as you like, currently dash cams are a rather proprietary field, and many of the big brands don't like connecting to anything third party.

Back