Dash Cam for my DASH!

Targetdrone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everybody - have you seen my sunglasses? I have been running in circles trying to purchase a simple camera - I can secure to an existing suction cup 'plate' - ON MY DASHBOARD. Most cameras are window mounted - and do not have a screen that can be rotated. I really don't need GPS or Bluetooth. Just a simple / reliable camera I can mount on my DASHBOARD in the 'up to $200 range'. Thanks - I appreciate your input.

Welcome to the forum Targetdrone.

Despite the name dash cameras have always been for windscreen mounting, up high there you also get a much better view where as down in dash altitude you could run over a child and not have it appear on the video.
Well probably most so if you drive a pickup.

Some have mounted small action cameras with dashcam features on the dash, often on a mount stalk some inches high, but still low that you could put a cap on the camera when not in the car CUZ on the dash a camera are of course very visible.
At least compared to a stealthy mounted camera on the windscreen, one slammed light in the middle of everything are of course very visible.
You might want to browse backwards thru the picture thread showing off how people have mounted dashcams in their car, some times you do have to be a little creative due to layout challenges in a particular vehicle.

The cameras people mounted on the dash was the old Mobius cameras, which still exist and there are even a 4K version out now, they are generally battery cameras, which are a bad thing in a car that can get both horribly hot in the summer and cold in the winter, but there are options to add super capacitors or get versions with capacitors for use in cars.
The downside is these little ( matchbox sized ) cameras is they have no screen, so a bit more complex to set up, also as they are action cameras ( meant for installing on RC planes ASO ) they do not have GPS ASO though that is also not a must have, the cameras that do have GPS it is not like they can compensate for daylight savings like our phones and computer do automatic.

Last edited:
I used the Viofo T130 mounted on the dash and it worked fine.

Depending on the car, it may need a small stand.

The framegrabs from the blue car in this thread are dash mounted, the white van had it behind the mirror:

I don't really recommend dash mounting, the view of the road becomes a bit squashed, but it did work OK.

Hi everybody - have you seen my sunglasses? I have been running in circles trying to purchase a simple camera - I can secure to an existing suction cup 'plate' - ON MY DASHBOARD. Most cameras are window mounted - and do not have a screen that can be rotated. I really don't need GPS or Bluetooth. Just a simple / reliable camera I can mount on my DASHBOARD in the 'up to $200 range'. Thanks - I appreciate your input.

I agree with @kamkar's suggestion about using a Mobius as dashboard mounted camera, especially now that there is a 4K version. There is also a 2K version called the Maxi.

Here is a link to a very old post that shows the original 1080p version of the Mobius (still available and even worth considering depending on your needs). All of these cameras are available with different lenses and they are designed so that you can easily swap in new lenses, such as different focal lengths. The Mobius is a unique and highly versatile camera that has various functionalities and capabilities not available in any other camera. It is an action camera designed to also work well as a dash cam.

The photos in the link will give you an idea of how an installation on your dashboard might look like, but keep in mind that the member installed a large heat sink on the top of his camera and you don't need to do anything like that.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/post-45736

Thank you gentlemen - I truly appreciate your input. I will check out the related information / links - later today when I'm not at work (!)
Film @ 11:00

Back