Dash cam for video recording?

Jamesob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Any thoughts?

I’d like to continuously capture footage in the interior of a room.
I’m thinking that a dash cam for vehicles could serve this purpose well as they can record for long hours, they can be mounted easily etc
Could this work and would the content be good enough quality to watch on a large screen?

Any idea/ thoughts / suggestions would be much appreciated

Welcome to the forum.

Many have repurposed old dashcams for "CCTV" use, you can also get cheap CCTV cameras like the wyze cameras, but if you have a old dashcam it is of course cheaper as it is already paid for, but i would not buy a dashcam for this purpose.

Most dashcams are still 1080p, but there is a few true 4K models and a lot of fake 4K models, most big screens today tend to be 4K so with a lesser resolution original footage there will be some up scaling to fit a 4K screen.

In your opinion would a repurposed wyze Cctv be better than a repurposed dash cam for the purpose of recording?

In your opinion would a repurposed wyze Cctv be better than a repurposed dash cam for the purpose of recording?
Wyze doesn't have CCTV cameras as such. What they offer are WiFi cam that work fairly well - when they work.

I used to be a big fan of Wyze but they've fallen out of favor due to their haphazard (actually grossly sub-standard) testing of F/W and S/W before releasing it for general use. Just about every release of either will introduce new bugs, and in a number of cases reintroduce previously corrected bugs. There have been instances where some basic functions of their products have been crippled and it's taken weeks for it to be corrected. I can't, in good faith, recommend them for any purpose other than possibly a toy to play with - as a tool they're just not reliable enough for serious use.

I'm curious if you got a CCTV or used dashcam just as you intended.

Back