Dash Cam for Wheelchair?

Old-Goat-on-Wheels

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm seriously thinking of adapting an automotive-type dash camera to my power wheelchair, with a camera looking forward and another in the back. I want recording capability, at least for the front camera. The wheelchair manufacturer makes a back-up "only" camera, powered from the chair, but at $350 and no recording or front camera, it is a bit steep. Ideally, the monitor would be separate from the forward camera, so I can adjust it for best viewing. Well, I'm an old man with lots of ideas to make my travels safer! Thank you all.

Welcome to the forum old goat.

There are a few systems i would think is usable off the top og my head, these are the so called dual remote systems, where there is a few for car use, but even more i think for motorcycle use.
This is a central hub to which 2 cameras tie in on wires, so install should not really be a massive task, the problem arise if you want to be able to put on a LCD screen for when reversing.
You can get pretty cheap car reversing systems including a LCD screen, these are normally 12 V and you should be able to find one for under 100 USD for the camera and LCD screen.
I dont think the motorcycle dashcams accept a screen as they need to be waterproof and so have as little plugs as possible, there might be a chance with a car system as AV out are not completely gone from the scene yet.
I will have to look into the 2 dual remote camera systems i have the K2S and the SG9663DR system.

You might also want to research the 360 cameras, you could have one of those on a vertical rod about 2 - 3 feet over your head, this will give you a 360 degree recording, which i think you can access to via a phone and pick and choose a flat frame in any direction ( for when reversing )
Otherwise they record in 360 degrees so pretty much everything is recorded, but you probably need to edit things out if you need them, most will export a just fine flat footage also, but it often take some post processing to do, which do take some power from a PC or in some cases a phone to process.

At least i would also look into this.
On youtube you will find information on everything, motorcycle dashcams - car dashcams and 360 action cameras - how to use 360 cameras ASO.

The 2 dual remote dashcams i have none of them have a AV out option, but they do both have a screen, but if your eyes are as tired as my soon to me 55 Yo eyes, then those little screens are not worth much.

Lots of dashcams could work here but I'd start with thinking about where they mount, as that will go a long way in determining which form-factor will work best. There's also some other considerations such as how much weatherproofing is necessary and also whether you need good low-light performance. Many cams now have wifi connectivity which cal let you see the rear view on your phone although with some you have to stop recording to do that.

In the US, liability laws make any device used for medical purposes insanely expensive. The chair manufacturer's cam could probably be had for 1/10 that cost and that's a situation which truly PO's me to no end. For sure we can do you better than that, and we're glad to help here on DCT :)

Phil

Lots of dashcams could work here but I'd start with thinking about where they mount, as that will go a long way in determining which form-factor will work best. There's also some other considerations such as how much weatherproofing is necessary and also whether you need good low-light performance. Many cams now have wifi connectivity which cal let you see the rear view on your phone although with some you have to stop recording to do that.

In the US, liability laws make any device used for medical purposes insanely expensive. The chair manufacturer's cam could probably be had for 1/10 that cost and that's a situation which truly PO's me to no end. For sure we can do you better than that, and we're glad to help here on DCT :)

Phil
Thank you for the info. The one advantage for me, with the Quantum chair back-up camera system, is that it has a small but readable monitor screen mounted on a flexible stalk (see at https://www.quantumrehab.com/quantum-accessories/quantum-backup-camera.asp). It has a single small rear-facing camera with some infrared capability. While it is nice enough to see what is behind me because I cannot turn my head easily, I also want a camera to face front just to log my daily travels onto a micro SD card or similar. The back-up camera does not record. I'm an old goat with prior strokes and multiple spine and diabetic nerve issues, making do on less than $860 a month from Social Security. So that $350 Quantum camera (not covered by insurance!) is a hard thing to consider!

As for medical costs, as we all realize the prices are inflated because of the way Medicare and other insurers pay only a small percentage. For example my wheelchair with its custom seating and adaptations retails for almost $31,000... but the invoice to Medicare was for around $22,000... and Medicare paid (after a year of rental) $18,000. So the chair's actual production cost, if insurance companies were not involved, would be around $12,000. And so it goes.

I don't want to get side-tracked on the medical costs issue so lets get back to the cam(s). Flexible stalks are easy and cheap, same as small LCD displays. And with many cams having 2-channels the display on one of those (or your phone) might be sufficient got your rear view. Recording isn't an issue as all dashcams do that.

The bigger question is where you want to mount the cams? You don't want them getting banged around or rained on. If the height is sufficient you could mount the rear cam under the push handle thus giving it some protection, and the forward cam could be mounted similarly or on the chair back, though being to one side would limit it's coverage. Ideal would be something on a pole above your head like Kamkar suggested but that might not work for you. Or you could mount the forward cam under or beside the armrest which would protect it some and not impair it's view to both sides ahead of you. Do keep in mind that regardless of claimed specs, the horizontal FOV of dashcams is mostly between 90 and 125 degrees. There are waterproof solutions in some cams but that adds to expense- do you need that?

Based on your approach and needs I can see basic front and rear solutions starting at ~$120; I doubt there's anything cheaper worth having that fills your needs for being able to see behind you.

Phil

Basically what @SawMaster is getting at is any commercially / consumer grade camera will need to be waterproof and so will the display. You could "negate" the water proofing by sticking any camera in a customer acrylic housing, if that's an option.

Ultimately, wheel chairs are going to get exposed to rain, snow, heat, etc so the camera setup you choose will need to be able to withstand inclement weather.

Protecting a camera from the rain is not an issue. I have a power wheelchair, not a push-type. I cannot go outside in the rain or snow. I cannot operate a standard chair, so if I have to go some place in the winter or the rain, I have to have medical transport. My power chair has 12-volt power taps available. See the photo for how they mount the monitor, at the side or end of the armrest. The backup camera is a small thing attached by Velcro or an extension however you wish to mount it. I would have a forward-facing camera either looking over my shoulder, or under the armrest. Thank you for the ideas! I was actually thinking of something like a stalk-mounted GoPro, but they are beyond my budget. backup-camera-detail.jpg

Here is a video describing the installation of this camera on my power wheelchair. Unfortunately it is $350 and limited to back-up use, and no recording capability... unless there is such a thing as a tiny 12-v DVR! Lol.

... unless there is such a thing as a tiny 12-v DVR! Lol.

There is such a thing as a tiny 12V DVR. Actually, it is an NVR. (network video recorder)

They are usually about 6 inches wide and one inch or so tall depending on the model. There are also small, easily mountable and adjustable IP cameras available with any focal length lens you want to use, along with tiny multi-terabyte hard drives and small monitors. You "may" also need a small router as you are creating a network on your wheelchair. So basically, with a bit of work you could create your own personal mobile CCTV surveillance system that could be installed on your wheelchair. In theory, you could have as many as 16 cameras running off one of these but you only need to install as many or as few cameras as you require or want. An NVR such as this could possibly be installed under your seat or anywhere you have some room to attach with Dual-Lock tape or heavy duty Velcro. A small hard drive could also be installed with Velcro. Many of these small NVRs can be controlled and monitored via smartphones.

mininvr.jpg

These are often call board cameras and they are about two inches wide. They connect to the NVR with an ethernet cable and require 12V DC.
miniCCTV.jpg

Typical small LCD monitor. This one has 4.4 inch screen.
minimon.jpg

This monitor is more sophisticated and is used for video production. It has an HDMI input which may be necessary.
feelworld.jpg

There are many small hard drives available. A 1TB Western Digital Passport like this one sells for about $55 (or less).

wd_passport.jpg

Last edited:
If weather isn't a consideration, what about a Viofo A129 Plus or Pro 2 Channel with a Monitor. This way you could record using the AV output. . And have it record to a single MicroSD card.

And adhere the cameras using the 3m adhesive to clamp mount that is then mounted on the wheel chair...... https://www.amazon.com/gp/B077L9742K

1629045609405.png

1629046301766.png

Actually that sounds pretty good... however that clamp mount won't work for me, I have nothing to clamp it to! The arms, and below the seat, have side rails which support a T-clamp that would slide in and tighten. The picture here shows the seat side rail attachment for adductor pads. The black handle is the clamp. The armrests have no vertical support, they are cantilevered. But I could probably have a friend make some sort of mount that will work for an over-the-shoulder view attached to the seat back.
20210815_125900.jpg

I'd suggest the A129 Duo (not "Plus" or "Pro") based on pricing and that for your purposes it should be more than enough image quality. You'll have some work to do regards mounting any dashcam, but that should be easy and cheap enough. You could also check out the B4K with the Sony rear cam option; it's screenless so you'd need to get your rear view through a phone app. Maybe better in front but sort of marginal in the rear view. Again for the purpose it should do OK but I still think the A129 Duo will be better for you.

As I don't have an A129 series cam I'll toss out a question or two to those who do have this cam:
1- Is the rear cam able to rotate 180 degrees? That might assist mounting.
2- Can you easily select and view the rear cam's images on the LCD screen by button-push and not through the app? Want this to be done as easily as possible.

Phil

It all sounds good, and at $170 the A129 Pro is half the price of the Quantum back-up only camera. But all of these have more features than I really need, and that is the problem. All I want to do is take videos of my journeys, to help describe to my clinicians how I get around and where, and sort of keep a log. Plus be able to see behind me. So what I was thinking of, was a stalk-mounted monitor like the Quantum one, and a small rear camera, and an equally small front camera, connected to some sort of device to record on micro SD cards, kind of like a mini DVR. My friend suggests adapting cell phone for the purpose, and just get a rear-view mirror! It is all a bit confusing for me.

It all sounds good, and at $170 the A129 Pro is half the price of the Quantum back-up only camera. But all of these have more features than I really need, and that is the problem. All I want to do is take videos of my journeys, to help describe to my clinicians how I get around and where, and sort of keep a log. Plus be able to see behind me. So what I was thinking of, was a stalk-mounted monitor like the Quantum one, and a small rear camera, and an equally small front camera, connected to some sort of device to record on micro SD cards, kind of like a mini DVR. My friend suggests adapting cell phone for the purpose, and just get a rear-view mirror! It is all a bit confusing for me.

Just because dash cams have certain features that you don't want or need doesn't mean you have to use them. The core functionality of a typical dash cam should provide what you want. Most of the other features, like GPS for instance, can be turned off in the user menu. I think a two channel dash cam, perhaps one with an AV out port for a small auxiliary monitor may meet your requirements.

I would suggest a stalk mounted on the back of your headrest above your head level would make for a good mounting solution. A dash camera could be mounted facing forwards with the rear facing camera mounted on the back of the stalk.

Thank you! That's what I'm thinking... the cell-phone idea my friend suggested is a bit silly, because I couldn't use it as a phone! Oh well. I am pretty settled with the idea of the A129 duo... all I really need is the money to buy it. Next month... always something to spend my Social Security on! Never got the last stimulus check. In any case being able to record my movements will be important to me, and help my doctor understand my control issues and needs, because sometimes I have trouble navigating. Two strokes and spinal fusings have kind of limited me and so, when not roaming around town I'm sitting here playing Skyrim. :cat:

Some years ago my friend had umpteen heart attacks before they finally got him stabilized and hauled to the hospital, he got it over pretty well i must say.
My "problem" is he is just 1 year older than i am, and we both lived the same unhealthy lifestyle most of our life.
we are also both on early retirement, i think he got his at 51 or 52, and i got mine just before i turned 50, but both of us are up and about, just we are not running anywhere, and our projects, well they take 5 X as long time nowadays.

If you got your setup going really good you could rent yourself out as a dolly + operator for filmmakers :)

I'd suggest the A129 Duo (not "Plus" or "Pro") based on pricing and that for your purposes it should be more than enough image quality. You'll have some work to do regards mounting any dashcam, but that should be easy and cheap enough. You could also check out the B4K with the Sony rear cam option; it's screenless so you'd need to get your rear view through a phone app. Maybe better in front but sort of marginal in the rear view. Again for the purpose it should do OK but I still think the A129 Duo will be better for you.

As I don't have an A129 series cam I'll toss out a question or two to those who do have this cam:
1- Is the rear cam able to rotate 180 degrees? That might assist mounting.
2- Can you easily select and view the rear cam's images on the LCD screen by button-push and not through the app? Want this to be done as easily as possible.

Phil

1. The rear cam is not barrel shaped. It is only able to move the lens up and down but not rotate like the A139. But he doesn't need barrel shaped. He merely needs to move lens it up and down to fit the proper viewing able.

2. Not sure. I never tested if you can switch front / rear view via a monitor. I had a screen (not touch) but no longer do. I would imagine if you could switch though, it would have to be a touch screen???? Not just a regular lcd.

Back