Dash cam killed my battery - please advise one with a on and off

Mrbg07546

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My agm battery is dead and I had to replace

I suspect it’s due to the dash cam we had hogging the power . It’s basically a 5v voltage box tapped into a 24/7 live fuse.

So I don’t want to do any rewiring and I appreciate a 24/7 will have this issue.

I want a cam that I can potentially turn on and off rather than auto start based.In addition if it can automatically work out if car is standstill to stop using power. Micro usb and no screen would be better .

Any suggestions

No need to change your dash cam, use the cigarette lighter socket or connect the power supply kit to a switched fuse.

As mentioned I have done the wiring (it’s tapped into the light wire and not keen on changing this.

Some cameras use a 3 wire kit to detect the ACC signal as a Parking Mode toggle, haven't seen any that will power off the device.

Did you try recharging your battery?

I just got a new one, AA couldn’t get it workig

You will have wiring work to do no matter which cam you use in order to get the functioning you want. Easiest would be to tap a different circuit that switches off with the car. Next easiest insert a manually-operated switch into what you have now. Next best would be using a BDP (battery discharge preventer) which turns the power off at a pre-set low voltage to save the battery. Or use a hardwire kit and cam which gives you the function you want- the most expensive option.

Phil

Ok my best option with no wiring is just get one that’s easy to take off and on when I am not using it. So a magnetic one.

if you have a 12v~5v converter wired to permanent power and you turn the camera off or remove it you will find it is still drawing power, will be less than with the camera running but will still have some sort of current draw regardless and you'll still eventually kill your battery, rewire or add a battery discharge prevention device, Multi Safe, Power Magic Pro, Vico Power Plus etc

If you're okay with attaching and removing a camera (when not in use), why not just unplug the power cable at the camera end with the existing camera.

If you're okay with attaching and removing a camera (when not in use), why not just unplug the power cable at the camera end with the existing camera.

the power supply will still draw some power, not as much as when the camera is running but will still draw some power regardless, how much will depend on the design of the power supply

Reactions: Mtz
Ok thanks. I didn’t realise the 12-5v would draw power when not in use.

Ok I’ll get it wired properly. I’ll see what Halfords have and pay then 30 pound to fit a BlackVue

How long was your car left without being run? If you use your car every day, I don't believe the load of the camera would have been enough to drain the battery.
How old was the battery? Car batteries are good for about 5 years before they need replacing. I once had one last 7 years, but that was an anomaly.
I have had my trunk light drain my battery, but that was 15 Watts, and it took several days. I have since disconnected that light.

2 days and the dash cam was hot and it drained it

Your battery was already nearing the end of its life. My wife's Jeep doesn't have any switched fuses or 12v cig adapters inside of the vehicle, and I don't feel like drilling through the firewall. Her camera is running 24/7, but I have it set to only record when motion is detected. It has been set up like this for over a year and we've taken a nearly week-long vacation and it didn't kill the battery.

If I were you, I'd wait to see if it continues to cause issues with your new battery.

Back