Dash cam recommendations - specs provided

Shurike

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys, looking to buy a dashcam with the following features.

- GPS
- Sound recording
- Parking mode (records if someone hits your car while it's parked)
- HD 1080 (in other words, decent quality recording)
- Preferably under $200
- Accident g-sensor (saves footage)

The one that fits the bill is Falcon Zero F170, but then I read somewhere that the reviews there are fake. Found a few others, but none that have all of the above features AND decent reviews. :-)

Thank you!

I meant the camera he mentioned, not the wish list
Me too. Starting with the package and ending up on the camera itself.

I didn't say I like it. You said that the Falcon Zero F170 is "basically a G1W in a different chassis" and I said that I wouldn't mind if the G1W's came with GPS, 170º lens, 32GB card included, etc.
But hey, if all the reviews are fake than the official website must be too.

I didn't say I like it. You said that the Falcon Zero F170 is "basically a G1W in a different chassis" and I said that I wouldn't mind if the G1W's came with GPS, 170º lens, 32GB card included, etc.
But hey, if all the reviews are fake than the official website must be too.

check this "170 degree lens" and see if you think it's any wider than the lenses used on these other models

I had already watched that video. It sure looks good on paper, doesn't it? At least they think it does. ;)
After I bought the "supposedly" 140º H, I only believe in wider angle lens cameras when I see any footage taken with them.

I had already watched that video. It sure looks good on paper, doesn't it? At least they think it does. ;)
After I bought the "supposedly" 140º H, I only believe in wider angle lens cameras when I see any footage taken with them.

yeah there's a discussion on another thread here where someone is promoting their 178 degree lens and are totally oblivious to the fact that the video produced looks to be less than 130 degrees, if it says it on the box it must be true I guess :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, looking to buy a dashcam with the following features.

- GPS
- Sound recording
- Parking mode (records if someone hits your car while it's parked)
- HD 1080 (in other words, decent quality recording)
- Preferably under $200
- Accident g-sensor (saves footage)

The one that fits the bill is Falcon Zero F170, but then I read somewhere that the reviews there are fake. Found a few others, but none that have all of the above features AND decent reviews. :)

Thank you!

The Falcon Zero F170 does not have buffered parking mode so it doesn't meet the specifications you are looking for. It records after someone hits your car missing the entire incident.

Do you really need parking mode?
How long is the vehicle parked for?
With the exception of extended parking mode, the a118c would work, if you wire it to run when the ignition switch is off, and 'parking' means parking for a few hours, not for days.

Do you really need parking mode?

People buy what they want, not necessarily what they need. The OP wants a cam that "records if someone hits your car while it's parked". Without buffered parking mode, only the aftermath is recorded, not the impact or the moments preceding the impact. If it's not buffered it's not parking mode.

Of course, but making an informed purchase is usually better.

How many people do you see posting questions about Dashcams with a GPS, thinking the GPS will direct them to the local starbucks, also?
:)

There are probably ways to accomplish what they want that are not obvious. It helps to know exactly what they want or expect.

(If they even know)

check this "170 degree lens" and see if you think it's any wider than the lenses used on these other models

That look like 150 DEG at best.

Since OP is Aussie, i will not ( again ) go into the perils of parking mode, but i agree with the ones saying it need to prebuffer to be true parking mode, the other is just dashcam parallel to WOL ( Wake Up on Lan for computers )
So cheapo dashcam parking mode/guard should be named Crash Record, Or The Crash Helper ( CROTCH ) :D

All Aussies should go for capasitor based cameras ( not aware if listed cam have such ) and ill second the ppl who mention panorama products.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
With parking mode - often it works on sensors if someone is near your car or hits it - sets off the camera. Not sure what buffed mode means, but as long as it records even after a hit - that would help. Battery for this usually are 30min max, so obviously wouldn't last for days.
GPS - not as in taking me to places, this is GPS that records the trip and you can later view it on a computer.

G1W from what I understand doesn't have GPS or parking mode.

Panorama S comes with an additional GPS, which is good. Doesn't have parking mode of any kind as far as I can see. Can it spin around left/right/180? Does it have an internal battery at all? Apart from that, looks like a good quality cam.

Personally don't mind if its 130/150/170 degree angle, wider is better of course.

Doesn't have parking mode of any kind as far as I can see. Can it spin around left/right/180? Does it have an internal battery at all? Apart from that, looks like a good quality cam..

it has pre buffered motion detect, most cameras when detecting motion will trigger the recording to start and you miss a second or so before anything gets recorded, with pre buffer when the motion detect is tripped you get the 5 seconds before that with your recorded file

it uses capacitor, not battery

Thanks. So if it uses capacitor - it can only film whilest the car is on, so unless it's wired directly to the battery - it won't film anything it detects while the car is off (no parking mode in other words).

Back