Dash cam that can be easily removed from mount

Az_Rael

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I am new to this world of dash cams and just bought myself a nice Panorama S from the eBay seller in South Korea that is listed here. I got the unit and installed it and it seems to work great.

However, I did not consider the way it mounts when I bought it. I work as a contractor at a military base and will most likely need to remove the unit every day prior to entering the facility (I don't know what the current rules are for dash cams, but seriously doubt they are/will be allowed). I can just unplug it and it won't be recording, however the lens is still there, and I suspect the guards would still give me a hard time. To remove it, you have to either pull down the suction cup, or fiddle with the go-pro style screw mount it uses. Not ideal.

So, I am thinking I may need to replace this one. I would like something in the same price range (~$200) with similar video quality and that has an LCD, but that easily unclips from its mount for stowing away. I don't need parking mode or GPS or any of that. I originally chose the Panorama due to its high video quality both day and night, its relatively small footprint with an LCD, and the fact that the manufacturer updates it regularly with firmware updates.

Any suggestions are welcome for a new camera. Or, if there is a 3rd party mount that would clip and unclip easily, that might be an alternative to me having to buy a new camera and sell this one. Thanks!

mini 0806 if you don't mind having a battery, just get hold and slide it off the mount, can be done single handed, no cables to bother with, very small to store away, can be remounted in a second.

Welcome! I use the Street Guardian SG9665gc, and it slides out of the mount very easy. Small enough that you could put it in your pocket if you wanted. Great camera, service and support from @Pier28 & @jokiin is the best!

Ok, thanks for the suggestions! I will check those out

Hi we are the primary seller of the Panorama S to the USA, but yes the other Korean eBay seller is still another import option.

We have a nice 3rd party S mount for sale as well. You have more aiming options, and can pop it out of the ball socket, or use the suction-cup mount.
https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/accessories/pano360-panorama-3m-suction-combo-mount.html
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00LMHE4FW

Sweet - I will try that mount first before buying a new camera! Thanks!

I use the DoD LS430W, it's pretty easy to take it off the mount (be it suction or permanent) once you get the hang of it. I remove it quite often as well. I leave the ball joint a tiny bit loose to allow quick adjustment on reinstall, also to allow pivot during driving in case there is some collision/hit and run etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions on this thread! I ordered the ball mount for the Panorama S, however that was still too fiddly to easily manage one handed. It was easy to remove the unit, but hard to snap it back in even with the screw off the ball mount. So I am going to move the Panorama to my truck, which I don't commute in regularly and I ordered one of the Street Guardian SG9665gc from @Pier28. I saw some videos online of how it attaches to its mount and it seems pretty simple, so I hope it works better. I also like its form factor - it looks like it will be a stealthier install than the Panorama.

Thanks for all the suggestions on this thread! I ordered the ball mount for the Panorama S, however that was still too fiddly to easily manage one handed. It was easy to remove the unit, but hard to snap it back in even with the screw off the ball mount. So I am going to move the Panorama to my truck, which I don't commute in regularly and I ordered one of the Street Guardian SG9665gc from @Pier28. I saw some videos online of how it attaches to its mount and it seems pretty simple, so I hope it works better. I also like its form factor - it looks like it will be a stealthier install than the Panorama.
You are going to like that camera, and the great support that you will receive after :)

Back