Dash Camera Heat Test

Which Dash Camera Brand do you think withstood the most heat?

• Total voters

safedrivesolutions

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro+A139 pro, Vueroid D21 4K, Thinkware U3000,
We have begun doing heat tests on the following dash cameras. @Ted@SafeDriveSolutions has been conducting the controlled tests
Viofo A229 Pro
Vueroid D21 4K
Blackvue DR970X Plue Lte
Fine Vu GX4K
Vantrue N4 Pro
70Mai A810

There is some interesting results we have seen so far. STAY TUNED as more info will be added to the post and video will be released hopefully very soon
38e55ac6-31a7-4499-9be4-e5cda5c14821.JPG

95d1b76e-1626-4dcf-aa55-2ecdfa47b45a.JPG

We are trying to get it out for this weekend. Lots of editing. All the videos are at least 4 hours in length of the test and we need to dial it all in and try and give you a nice short video.

Here is a sneak peek video. There is so much video that we are going to have roll it out slowly.

Here is a sneak peek video.
I think any dashcam should have shut down by 200°F, their components are not rated for those temperatures, so they will have a short life.

Super capacitors may last longer than lithium batteries at high temperatures, but they don't last long at those temperatures, and it will be even hotter inside the case.

Maybe some of them don't use super capacitors so are OK?

I think any dashcam should have shut down by 200°F, their components are not rated for those temperatures, so they will have a short life.

Super capacitors may last longer than lithium batteries at high temperatures, but they don't last long at those temperatures, and it will be even hotter inside the case.

Maybe some of them don't use super capacitors so are OK?
Great points. We honestly just wanted to see which units were most reliable for California, Texas and Florida. Hotter climates. We would like to think we support products that are highly reliable but wanted to see how they will hold up. If someones vehicles gets 200 degrees fahrenheit I would say wow thats hot. Interesting to see the ceiling of some of these units

I live in Vermont where it generally only gets really hot for a short period of time every year, usually in July/August. We've just been through several extreme heat waves that we've experienced this season with one ending two days ago leading to severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings (which is quite rare here). Many years ago I went out to my car, a European built 4 cylinder Ford and found that a ball point pen I had left on the black dashboard had literally melted like something out of a Dali painting. For that to have happened it would have had to have reached and likely exceeded 200º Fahrenheit.

Last edited:
I live in Vermont where it generally only gets really hot for a short period of time every year, usually in July/August. We just been through several extreme heat waves that we've experienced this season with one ending two days ago leading to severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings (which is quite rare here). Many years ago I went out to my car, a European built 4 cylinder Ford and found that a ball point pen I had left on the black dashboard had literally melted like something out of a Dali painting. For that to have happened it would have had to have reached and likely exceeded 200º Fahrenheit.
Oooh its getting interesting
Only 1 unit lasted over 200 degrees fahrenheit. But still we thought it was kind of irrelevant, but maybe not

Only 1 unit lasted over 200 degrees fahrenheit. But still we thought it was kind of irrelevant, but maybe not
My car was dark blue, just like my current vehicle and so it tends to get very hot sitting out in the sunshine. My next vehicle will be white or silver. Anyway, car color is one of the biggest factors in how hot the cabin can get.

I dont think there would be any substantial difference in heat endurance for conventional system on glass dashcams.
Well not unless some are particular bad.
I say so CUZ i dont think there are very much difference in the way they are cooled ( ALU heat sink ) in a small housing

But for sure i will follow this journey CUZ it is a factor in what systems i will be able to recommend when parking guard is a feature high on a persons list.

Ceramic tint makes a difference on cabin temps too. Last summer season I got installed ceramic tint; got the regular tint removed and replaced. It did make a noticeable difference. Having said that; the dashcam stuck on a windscreen/windshield will heat up regardless.

Last edited:
My car was dark blue, just like my current vehicle and so it tends to get very hot sitting out in the sunshine. My next vehicle will be white or silver. Anyway, car color is one of the biggest factors in how hot the cabin can get.

Several times over the years in Arizona, I've tested identical cars except for the exterior color: one white and the other either black or dark blue.

Windshield sunshades in, multiple identical thermometers inside.

Never seen any substantial difference in interior temp based on exterior color.

Several times over the years in Arizona, I've tested identical cars except for the exterior color: one white and the other either black or dark blue.

Windshield sunshades in, multiple identical thermometers inside.

Never seen any substantial difference in interior temp based on exterior color.

You don't provide any specific data about your testing so it is impossible to evaluate the validity of your claim.

Your conclusion that there is no substantial difference in interior car temperature based on exterior color doesn't hold up when one considers all the available evidence.

In any event, the simple fact is that you can't ignore the laws of physics and the laws of thermodynamics which govern thermodynamic equilibrium.

The objective scientific facts and data do confirm that dark colored vehicles get significantly hotter in the sun. As a result, they also use more fuel when you run air conditioning.

Black cars (or midnight blue) absorb more sunlight and therefore more heat than white cars because white reflects more light than black.

Here is what Perplexity AI has to say on the matter. (built on GPT-3.5 but is openly connected to the internet for up-to-date information)

Link: https://www.perplexity.ai/search/do-dark-color-cars-get-hotter-DIcMiSJhSimZT.DgwyAmJQ

ChatGT3.5.jpg

• Black cars tend to absorb more heat than white cars because the color black absorbs more sunlight than white.
  • On average, the cabin temperature of a car that’s been left outside for an hour can reach 43 degrees higher than the outside temperature.
  • To keep your vehicle cool during hot days, consider parking in the shade, tinting your windows, and using a sunshade or reflector.

Also, if you've ever watched videos posted to this forum by our Australian members you may have noticed the popularity and abundance of white vehicles on their roads. There is a good reason for that, especially in the hotter regions of the continent.

In Australia: "White cars are favored not only for aesthetic reasons but also for practical benefits. They are easier to clean, as dirt is less visible compared to darker colors, and they do not absorb heat as much, making them more comfortable in Australia’s hot climate. This is particularly advantageous in regions like Queensland, where temperatures can soar, causing darker vehicles to become uncomfortably hot inside."

Last edited:
You don't provide any specific data about your testing so it is impossible to evaluate the validity of your claim.

Well, that was a lot of effort to go to. I'm aware that there's lots of data to support your position. I don't necessarily dispute its validity.

Last time I did a (admittedly unscientific) test, we used two identical Chevrolet Camaros. Same tan interior. One black, one white. Same covercraft front windshield shade.

Parked outside in Tucson AZ in direct sunlight, no shade, all day from 0700 to 1700 or so.

Same brand of mini digital thermometer, one on the center console between the seats of each car, and one in the back seats.

Temp reached over 105 on that day, IIRC.

No appreciable difference in interior temp.

I own black vehicles and light colored vehicles. When people asked me about them getting hot parked outside all day, I tell 'em to buy the color they like. It's gonna be hot as the devil's ball when you get in it no matter what color it is.

On a side note, remote start is the best thing ever invented for solving the getting into the hot car problem. Last thing I do before I shut down the car now is crank the AC on high then remote start it on my way out the door--or sooner with the app. Nice and cool by the time I get there.

Well, that was a lot of effort to go to. I'm aware that there's lots of data to support your position. I don't necessarily dispute its validity.

Last time I did a (admittedly unscientific) test, we used two identical Chevrolet Camaros. Same tan interior. One black, one white. Same covercraft front windshield shade.

Parked outside in Tucson AZ in direct sunlight, no shade, all day from 0700 to 1700 or so.

Same brand of mini digital thermometer, one on the center console between the seats of each car, and one in the back seats.

Temp reached over 105 on that day, IIRC.

No appreciable difference in interior temp. Plus or minus 1 degree.

I own black vehicles and light colored vehicles. When people ask me about them getting hot parked outside all day, I tell 'em to buy the color they like. It's gonna be hot as the devil's balls when you get in it no matter what color it is.

On a side note, remote start is the best thing ever invented for solving the getting into the hot car problem.

Last thing I do before I shut down the car now is crank the AC on high then remote start it on my way out the door--or sooner with the app. Nice and cool by the time I get there.

Never though I'd ever use the UConnect app remote start feature, but it's pretty awesome.

Back