Dash Camera Heat Test

Which Dash Camera Brand do you think withstood the most heat?

• Total voters
I wonder if a light colored interior is more important than light colored exterior.

No appreciable difference in interior temp.
When you are further south, with the sun directly overhead, the colour is not going to make much difference, and black actually radiates heat faster than white, so it is quite easy for the disadvantages and advantages to cancel out. Further north, with the sun shining on the sides of the car, it is a lot easier for the absorbed heat to get inside through the door panels and windows, so the colour can make more difference. Up here in the UK, I used to park with the sun shining directly at the windscreen at midday (suns rays at 90° to the glass), making it very easy for the sun to heat the interior directly, with none of it being reflected off the angled glass, so my interior temperatures can be almost as high as yours, despite being only 15° from the arctic circle.

I wonder if a light colored interior is more important than light colored exterior.
I think that once the sun's energy has got through the glass, it is going to be absorbed by something, whatever the colour, it will just bounce around a bit first in a lighter interior. So unless you have mirror finish seats, it will make a small, but fairly insignificant difference. You don't want a light interior, they are terrible for reflections, for both dashcam and eyes, even if you do have a CPL/polarised driving glasses.

A vehicle's interior color can make a difference in interior temperature but it tends to be relatively negligible in the scheme of things.

The primary factor determining how hot your car gets sitting in the sunshine is the exterior color.

A vehicle's interior color can make a difference in interior temperature but it tends to be relatively negligible in the scheme of things.

The primary factor determining how hot your car gets sitting in the sunshine is the exterior color.
100% this. The video has gone up by Ben and seems to support what I found earlier this year in the hot Aussie summer - that the Viofo A229 Pro shut down around the 70/80C mark but the Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro kept on going. My rough testing was done on a car that's steel grey in colour, so not white and not my last cars black.

I'd argue though in that article you posted previously that Queensland isn't the hottest state in Australia, it's more where I am Western Australia where it's a dry heat. But I guess where they're coming from is that most of Queensland is up north towards the tropics so it is pretty humid - couple that with a reasonably hot summer and its stifling! Lol

100% this. The video has gone up by Ben and seems to support what I found earlier this year in the hot Aussie summer - that the Viofo A229 Pro shut down around the 70/80C mark but the Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro kept on going. My rough testing was done on a car that's steel grey in colour, so not white and not my last cars black.

I'd argue though in that article you posted previously that Queensland isn't the hottest state in Australia, it's more where I am Western Australia where it's a dry heat. But I guess where they're coming from is that most of Queensland is up north towards the tropics so it is pretty humid - couple that with a reasonably hot summer and its stifling! Lol
Yes the Vantrue lasted longer. However we did notice that 1.3 is not lasting as long.

I'd argue though in that article you posted previously that Queensland isn't the hottest state in Australia, it's more where I am Western Australia where it's a dry heat.

Thanks for your personal and knowledgeable feedback, Agie. I find it especially interesting because this was the first time I have ever posted or quoted from a large language model AI chatbot assistant. I'm still rather skeptical and a bit distrustful of these tools but I've been intrigued by Perplexity AI which is connected to the internet full time and provides links to the sources it has drawn from and I found the answers it provided reasonable and seemingly straightforward enough to quote from, at least for the kind questions I posed to it. Apparently, it only got it partly correct when it mentioned Queensland. I think it got most everything else right but it is hard to be certain which is one of the problems with these things so far.

Another interesting new AI search engine is ANDI which I have yet to fully explore. It is still in alpha testing so you may get errors and need to clear local settings and reload the app. For those who are not familiar with it, you may want to check it out along with Perplexity. Actually, there is a whole spate new AI search engines popping up everywhere like mushrooms on a rainy day but perhaps that is a discussion best reserved for another thread.

Last edited:

Ben, In regard to the question about air movement inside the oven compared to a vehicle cabin when parked, I'm curious to know the logic of your reasoning for selecting "dehydrate" rather than say, "bake" or some other setting. I'm guessing that dehydrate might engage more fan activity to pull moist air out of the unit whereas bake might not engage the fan as much or at all during the "cooking" process.

settings.jpg

Back