Dash Cams Catching on in Australia

DashCamMan

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
According to this article, dash cams are becoming popular in Australia. Navman (MiVue) will sell 100,000 units this year in Australia, about 30% of the >$100 market.

That's good. Here in the USA they're steadily gaining ground as well, especially since the Russian meteor event.

I think that out of all 50 states here in the US, we in California have the most dash cams at the moment. I was a passenger in an hour-long drive today through L.A., and I decided to look and see how many other drivers around here have dash cams, if any at all (via looking through their car windows as we or they passed). I spotted at least three definite dash cams - two SUV's and a Mustang had them. I was careful not to mix them up with GPS units, which look completely different anyway. I believe a couple of semi's I saw might have had dash cams as well, although I couldn't tell for sure. They are becoming more common here, and I have found over 30 accidents caught on dash cam here in California on YouTube over the last year.

Interestingly enough, a sideswipe did happen right in front of us today in Inglewood. A black SUV suddenly swerved into a Prius that was waiting to turn left at an intersection, taking off their mirror. Both vehicles then pulled off into a side street to exchange info. The driver of the car I was in did not have a dash cam though, unfortunately, but now he says he is getting one for sure. He has seen over a dozen accidents while driving around here over the last few years - one of them being fatal, right in front of him. A crooked cop also gave him (and two other drivers at the scene) a $700 ticket for passing a stopped school bus, even though the bus's lights weren't flashing, nor was its "STOP" sign out. He took it to court and the cop did not show up, so he got his money back thankfully, but he wants a dash cam in case of another incident such as this.

It's really great to see DashCam usage picking up some much. I would guess this has attributed a bit to membership to the site just about exploding in recent months.

Interestingly enough, a sideswipe did happen right in front of us today in Inglewood. A black SUV suddenly swerved into a Prius that was waiting to turn left at an intersection, taking off their mirror. Both vehicles then pulled off into a side street to exchange info. The driver of the car I was in did not have a dash cam though, unfortunately
This is the reason I almost never get into a car without a DashCam even if it's not my car my suction cup mount gets a work out between family members and friends cars for sure.

This is the reason I almost never get into a car without a DashCam even if it's not my car my suction cup mount gets a work out between family members and friends cars for sure.
I was doing this for a while, but I got tired of constantly stripping and re-wiring my Carcam K2000 on a weekly basis. There will be more accidents, though - I can guarantee that. Today's was minor. And now two more people I know are going to be getting dash cams.

Every time someone sees my dash cam, they are interested and want one too after I explain it to them. I also recently found out from my cousin that their roommate has a dashcam as well, indicating increasing public knowledge of dash cams (at least around here).

@Reg dashcam
Yeah, here in SF, I've already found 2 cars w/ dashcams (a badly mounted K2000 and a K6000). Still have yet to find JazJon's though XD

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been lurking on this site, only registered recently. Eventually decided on a G1W after some research.

Good to see that dashcams are catching on here in Australia, even some a number of models on sale at a local store chain, JB Hi-Fi. Here's hoping that an increase in dashcam use leads to better driving (which has been rather shocking over the past few years from what I've seen).

I have a Mini 0801 and have not had any issues at all with it.

The reason I installed is that I had a couple of near misses with drivers using their smart phone and almost colliding. It is good to have prove of them with their phone in front of them.

Back