Dash Cams really are over priced junk? F800

the top model iPhone here is over $1800, ridiculous amount of money for what it is

I watched the 4 Corners program a couple of months ago where the chemicals used in the iPhone production (one screen cleaning) were seriously damaging the workers nervous systems whereby they were barely able to walk ... and that was only one of the effects.

This was apparently the largest Company of its type - can't remember the name. When the CEO of this company was questioned on the effects of the chemicals used and the injuries caused ... the CEO immediately went on the front foot and blamed the sick workers for spreading the disease to other workers. That is the mentality of people running these factories in China. Worker gets seriously sick and can't work anymore ... Company doesn't give a toss and simply replaces them. Rinse and repeat.

ps. Apple being able to charge these exorbitant prices for their products and sell like hot cakes is why they are the envy of the Corporate world. Greed/Ripoff is good (y) mate.

Edit: Yeah Foxconn .. that's it ... cheers jokiin

Last edited:
Foxconn is the largest electronics manufacturer in the world, Apple get a lot of heat over the way things are done but they are just one of their customers, a lot of product for some big names come out of there, they are all guilty of the same thing though and push them for ridiculous cost cutting and rely on volume to dictate what happens

Foxconn are moving towards fully automated production lines i hear, and robots are bolted to the floors so they can remove the safety nets on the outside of their buildings.
So in that automated case the only place they can make things cheaper will be due to it being more easy to "grease" people, and as no people can suffer then the only looser will be the environment and the society.

Had the great chairman been alive today ( and Stalin in Russia ) the current leaders of China and Russia would be put up against the wall and shot, along with 10.000 of their closest and richest friends.
Both countries are knee deep in corruption and other forms of nasty devastating to the societies.

there's still quite a lot of what Foxconn does that is done by hand, they don't employ 1.3 million people just to look at the machines, not a number that can easily be replaced by machines either

People have to be vigilant. And in at least the USA most aren't. I refuse to shop at WAL-MART. If it's the only place I can get something,,, I don't need it. I personally haven't spent $1.00 there in 5 years. And my life is better for it.

A poster made a comment about Harleys are junk. I've bought my last one. Bought it brand new from the dealer, rode it home and replaced the crap China wheel bearings. They hadn't failed yet. But it was clear what hunks of junk they were. Hundred miles on a brand new bike and put proper Euro made bearings in it. The quality was like night and day between the two products. I doubt we make bearing anymore in the USA. If I see a USA bearing it's generally old new stock from when our country was normal and not full of cheap people. The engine failed at 1k miles because of bad engineering, American production and failures of China and India parts. At 1500 miles I upgraded the cam. Still had a crap cam bearing in it from India. New cam was fitted with a good Euro bearing.

As for tech? I'm a geek from away back. Was overclocking XT's way back when. :) I would pay far more for really quality hardware than the junk coming off the pacific rim now days. I use to upgrade constantly. The new stuff looks good and at times it is good. But over all most of it is pure junk if not evil. I'm a overclocker and use all types of cooling solutions. You can take five mother boards with a known good cpu, ram and peripherals and get wildly different results from the same manufactures concerning mother boards be them all the same Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and so on. All the same model of board from the same batch. And there is a 50% chance one of the five will be bad out of the box. The failure and return ratio is insane. I use to build a bunch of custom rigs for people. Not worth it anymore. And don't even get into video cards.... lololololol

I just bought a new Ford Fusion. It was at least put together in NA. But Ford is only going to sell Mustangs a China Focus Crossover, SUv's and Pickup's in the USA in the near future. The poor Focus, Mondeo/Fusion are going to be built in China. People in the UK and EU are going to get junk. And Ford can kiss there intelegal rights and engineering away. China steals everything they can get there hands on. China makes cheap electronics and pet poisons when it comes down to it and has the ethics of a thief.

So back to the dash cams. Was it a fluke that my first dashcam was a no name China cam that worked great for five years. And somebody said,,, hold up thats was way to much value for money. Build it cheap and go up on the pricing. Americans, Canadians and people of the UK and EU are stupid. We can build them junk and the idiots will buy it! Offer a great warranty through the retailer and we wash our hands of it. YI would have never got back to me concerning there junk if I had not went public on there faceballz page. Viofo never got back to me concerning there crap units I purchased through Amazon. And I have a feeling working with Thinkware wont be much better than Samsung when it comes to the high efficient mini split systems that have a great warranty and break all the time. We rep'ed there junk at work and had to part ways with them because they are sooooo unreliable.

The tech is nothing new. Now the lense assembly's might be a stretch right now for quality and reliability. But the other components are everywhere in the market. And bought in volume are reasonable. I see these fine components everyday in the boiler control world. It's all micro circuitry now. And they withstand insane amounts of heat/moisture/chemicals and shock. Be it caps, glass, processors or other bit's and bob's. Even the micro cams used to monitor the machines, wifi, hot spots and cloud operations are way better than this stuff. I discount this stuff very heavy. It's not worth what some manufactures think msrp should be.

The way I'm seeing it. Buying a new Harley is akin to wiping your rump with $100 bills and flushing down the toilet. And buying a dashcam is like wiping with $1 bills and flushing them. Unless you live in Russia. :)

Like the Chinese bearing you mentioned ... even items Made in Germany or Italy that have a reputation for High Quality ... you have to wonder how much they have compromised and cut corners to compete with China, Korea in recent decades.

Made in Australia used to be pretty good Quality only one of the last white good manufacturers went offshore a few years ago. I saw one of their last fridges and was going to buy it for the 'quality' ... then thought I'd look up the reviews. They weren't good. It appears that in order to battle on and try to compete with Samsung, LG etc in recent years ... they had to cut costs and cheapened the internal shelving that easily cracked. As a result of the inferior quality ... their excellent reputation was no longer working for them ... and they had to close their local manufacturing.

So how good is 'Made in USA' 'Made in Australia' 'Made in Italy' 'Made in Germany' these days ... can we really trust them? If making in other Countries ... how thorough are they with Quality Control ... and do they still care as much as they once did?
I purchased a Bosch front loader. There were several made in China and a couple Made in Germany - which I purchased. At least they still give us an option.

I watched a Doco (4 Corners) on Mercedes Cars ... certain model being made in China ... the factory supervisor was a Clown (n) ... I want some serious QC for my $$$ thanks.

Like the Chinese bearing you mentioned ... even items Made in Germany or Italy that have a reputation for High Quality ... you have to wonder how much they have compromised and cut corners to compete with China, Korea in recent decades.

a lot of stuff that is sold as made in European countries comes out of China in CKD format and some basic assembly is done in the country it claims to come from, it's a tax loophole

I watched a Doco (4 Corners) on Mercedes Cars ... certain model being made in China ... the factory supervisor was a Clown (n) ... I want some serious QC for my $$$ thanks.

they're only making them for their own market, not for ours

Maybe spend a couple grand and get a full on police cam for your car.

Or just give Viofo another shot, if you get a bum unit just get a replacement. No, they aren't manufactured to the highest specs, but if you don't get a bad one it should last a bit. Or get a Street Guardian, from what I see they have a bit higher build than Viofo. Without the crappy interface of the Thinkware. These things will be outdated in a few years anyway.

I've had my Viofo A118C for 2 years and its going strong, just want something better.

People could save on other things that then translate into money saved in the end, for instance why get that new fruit or Sumsang phone when you never use 1/3 of its compute power.
Okay i am about to upgrade my computer, though what it will be doing most of the time could well be handled by the meager processing power of my cheap China phone.

Still i am convinced that many people have phones with way more power than they will ever need, but they just need the show off power of that phone.
Personally i think its insane to spend 500 USD on a damn phone, but i can easy spend that amount on a radio controlled "toy" but at least i get my RC toy for me alone, there are absolutely no show off powers in a +50 yo man running around in the forest with a RC toy.
But lucky for me i care zero about what other people think, at least what strangers think.
How about a thousand for the iPhone ten?

Foxconn are moving towards fully automated production lines i hear, and robots are bolted to the floors so they can remove the safety nets on the outside of their buildings.
So in that automated case the only place they can make things cheaper will be due to it being more easy to "grease" people, and as no people can suffer then the only looser will be the environment and the society.

Had the great chairman been alive today ( and Stalin in Russia ) the current leaders of China and Russia would be put up against the wall and shot, along with 10.000 of their closest and richest friends.
Both countries are knee deep in corruption and other forms of nasty devastating to the societies.
Messy!

Decades ago you would ask the salesman which day the car rolled off the assy. line-if Friday, on to the next because it might have a coke bottle hidden in the interior and difficult for the dealership to find to fix your rattle(actual in my 1972 Chevelle)
Or someone placed a pce. of wire under your head gasket to cause a leak of coolant into your exhaust!
Nasty pranks of assembly line crack heads! 'wonder if still happens today on assy. lines?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that' depends on what do you mean with "overpriced".
It's not a product which has been considered by any major manufacturer (sony) or, it those which did (garmin?) they did not really pushed it.
Probably there is no margin and it will be dead once it will be OEM installed by car manufacturers.
And with return with no question asked by distributors, very though for manufacturers to sort out QUICKLY problems because there is no return cause analysis.

I am old enough to remember the first "dash cam", namely a Vhs-C camera somehow stucke between the front seats (more used to record off-road driving)
Awful quality and quite expensive.
Pretty happy nowadays with "junk" Full Hd tiny cameras...

All my previous " china cams" has been working as expected, according to spec and price paid for it.

Used the SJ4000 as a dash cam for a while, very good, only minus, it doesnt do the loop recording, or overwrite the old files. So u had to delete the SD card a few times a month,

Now I`m using the DDPAI M6+ , for over a year now. very pleased with it.

Most dash cam`s bought locally here in Norway are overpriced as hell.... compare to what you get.
cheers

2, Free market economy tells us the products is determined by the market but not the supply;

3, American importers are definitely super clear to what products they should buy;

4, "Made in China" is already no longer the pronoun of "low quality"; "Made in America" is also not the pronoun of "good quality";
1. Given the choice I would buy quality american made over anything made in China.
2. I have refused to buy certain products because they were made in China. I have seen Chinese quality and found it lacking far to often.
3. Corporate buyers are buying for price not quality. If corporate buyers would pay an extra $1 per piece we might have good quality products available compared to crap quality that is forced on us.
4. I remember when I bought ideal fuel line hose clamps for 50 cents made in USA. A couple years later I bought more fuel line clamps for 50 cents but they were hencho in Mexico. The cost per clamp was lower but that savings did not make it to me. I would have paid 5 cents more for a made in USA clamp for the quality.
5. The market has had the choice removed to buy quality USA products instead of crap China junk.
6. What corporate buyers did in choosing to have everything made in China removed the choice for me to buy good quality products.
7. Chinese defects were so common that the actual savings after including defects and shipping was lowered to less than 10%. I would easily pay the extra 10% to ensure I get quality products.
8. Due to poor quality control problems including but not limited to using inferior parts I refuse to buy any dashcam until it has been proven to have good quality over a few months.
9. I refuse to buy a mobius maxi (yet) because the mobius 2 was defective and not properly corrected. I can not trust the new product to be quality based on that history but hope it will be.

well, well...
I have a short film I made at a chinese bearing factory some years ago ..you'd be amused.
Anyway, you'd be surprised on how many "american/european"made products rely on asain components anyway.

AND there are (manufacturing) technologies which have been developed in asia you CANNOT find in EU/USA....

Most dash cam`s bought locally here in Norway are overpriced as hell.... compare to what you get.

Same here in Denmark.

The transmission factory i worked on in my last job only used SKF and NSK bearings, the gears and transmissions we made also wasent in the cheap end ofcourse. there is a high prize for Made in Denmark,,, and Living in Denmark.

Corporate buyers are buying for price not quality.

this is the root cause of the problem, there's a perception among buyers that the only way to sell stuff is to be cheaper than your competitors, the race to the bottom doesn't end well for anyone involved

Back when the cheap junk was made in Taiwan I bought a set of auto body hammers and dollies.
One hammer head broke in 2 pieces. One head fell off the center part the handle goes through.
The broken edge showed large grains of metal. It could have been cast iron.
After that experience I bought USA made craftsman tools. The price did not matter, the quality did.
Now that craftsman is made in China I buy no more craftsman tools.

Those of us who have been financially damaged by cheap overseas crap would gladly spend more for quality.
A good dash cam (or any electronic device) should come with a 3 year warranty.
That type of warranty would increase the price but would also show the manufacturers confidence in their product.

So I hit the racetrack for the first time in my life thinking I get to document the action on my Thinkware F800. Nope. Nothing useful. Every quarter mile run I’ve taken chops off either in the launch or at the middle making it unbearable to watch. The 1 min increment should be mergeable. There’s no way to link the videos on the PC viewer. This is absolutely stupid. This camera sucks. Total waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back