Dashboard reflection

chewonit

Reaction score
Country
United States
While waiting for the improved version to arrive, I figure I'd take some time tackle this issue. As you can see in the snapshot below, I get a lot of reflection from the dashboard when it's bright out there. It's not just the air vents but also the texture of the top of the dashboard.

This is a 2015 Accord and I mounted the camera as high up on the windshield as possible, right behind the mirror to the driver side.

I don't like adding a CPL since I would have to remove it during the night. So my question is, will lower the camera help reducing the reflection? I guess I will have to find out myself but I need to figure out how to unglue the bracket and temp mount it.

Maybe titling up a bit will help? Gotta try it tomorrow.

XFm3YmP.png

I don't like adding a CPL since I would have to remove it during the night.
You don't have to remove it at night, it's just that if you don't then you will double the amount of motion blur and the darkest detail will be hidden. I never take the CPL off my mini 0806 and I don't think many other people do either.

If you leave it on permanently then it gives you a better chance of seeing things/reading license plates during the day at the expense of not being able to read them at night when you probably wouldn't be able to read them anyway!

So my question is, will lower the camera help reducing the reflection? I guess I will have to find out myself but I need to figure out how to unglue the bracket and temp mount it.
Lowering it wont have any effect on the strongest reflection at the bottom since the angles will hardly change, it could help with reflections of the front of the dash (further in to the car) but the big air vent next to the glass will not be removed.

A CPL would almost completely remove the central part of that reflection just leaving the reflection of the door pillars partly visible.

At the moment a lot of the video file bitrate is being used up to record the reflection so you are loosing a lot of detail on what you want to record, it's not just making it difficult to see, it is actually removing the detail from the recording.

get a dash mat.

Yup....... Its one of the first things I get for any car and I quote the following.....

..... They have been scientifically tested to reduce in car temperatures and improve air conditioner performance. They prevent dashboard discoloration & cracking by offering maximum protection from the sun’s damaging UV rays also reducing refection and glare given off by modern contoured dashboards.

I know you have a new car and continue maintaining the screen inside and out for clarity.

Nigel has some good points also.

Thanks for all the ideas.

For CPL, is there one for SGZC12RC? I guess I can make one out of some 3D classes I have. But any one put one on this particular camera yet?

What kind of material should I look for in the dash mat to eliminate reflection?

Here was a quick dirty demo I did - it wasn't on the brightest day either so this isn't maximum impact!

Another massive advantage a dash mat has over a CPL is that the CPL only works for the dashcam whereas the dash mat works for the dashcam and your eyes too :) The Mini806 CPL works well though for sure but I prefer night footage without it on.

I don't wear sunglasses as I'd need prescription ones so a dash mat makes a big difference in summer for me - I keep meaning to find my old polarised Oakley's and give them a whirl but I can't find them for love nor money.

Last edited:
You don't have to remove it at night, it's just that if you don't then you will double the amount of motion blur and the darkest detail will be hidden. I never take the CPL off my mini 0806 and I don't think many other people do either.

If you leave it on permanently then it gives you a better chance of seeing things/reading license plates during the day at the expense of not being able to read them at night when you probably wouldn't be able to read them anyway!

What is the point of intentionally compromising and downgrading the night time performance of an expensive camera with an advanced Sony Exmor IMX322 sensor which is optimized specifically to provide outstanding performance in low light?

Since your entire frame of reference with dash cams is with the 080x series cameras how can you possibly know what others experiences might be in capturing license plates at night using a different technology? How can you give out advice like this, telling people they probably won't be able to read license plates at night with this camera and sensor if you've had no hands-on experience with it?

Last edited:
Yesterday i looked for a dashmat for my suzuki splash, there was plenty for small suzukis but not my model :( and i was not able to find a EU dealer.

Seem like if i get a dashmat i will have to DIY it :oops: but the molded ones that are made look so much better than what i dare hope for beeing able to make myself.

I need to figure out how to unglue the bracket and temp mount it.
The best way I have found to remove items stuck to glass with the double sided VHB tape is to get a long piece of string and work it back & forth between the glass & the tape.
Dental floss works like a charm.
Just be patient.
And protect your fingers

The best way I have found to remove items stuck to glass with the double sided VHB tape is to get a long piece of string and work it back & forth between the glass & the tape.
Dental floss works like a charm.
Just be patient.
And protect your fingers
Gloves are recommended for sure :)

I dont know if this has ever been suggested, but what about a polarized covering over the lense?? I wear polarized glasses for my job (driving) and Ive noticed with them on, my dash reflection is 90% eliminated. What about about either an additional polarized lense over the cam lense or some sort of small add on that you place on the front of the camera lense that is polarized??

I dont know if this has ever been suggested, but what about a polarized covering over the lense?? I wear polarized glasses for my job (driving) and Ive noticed with them on, my dash reflection is 90% eliminated. What about about either an additional polarized lense over the cam lense or some sort of small add on that you place on the front of the camera lense that is polarized??

Try a search on DashCamTalk for polarizers or CPL (circular polarizer) and you will find hundreds of posts about them. They can be quite effective in reducing reflections but they can have drawbacks as well, such as increased motion blur of license plate numbers and diminished night time performance if you forget to remove them after dark.

Last edited:
Back