Dashcam and helmet cam?

econti

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all.
I'm a driver and rider, and a dashcam that can be used as a helmet cam would be spectacular. Does such a thing exist?
I'm parked in the work carpark for 9 hours at a time (shopping centre) so motion sensor record is a must.
I understand that they must have permanent power to do that, but do they sit in a standby mode or something to minimise power drain until the motion sensor wakes it up?

Thanks

Possibly the Mobius, hmm not sure.

If you want a stand alone set it and forget it motorcycle solution, check out the BULLETHD Biker Pro and Biker Mate

Most of the dashcams I checked the amp draw on recently were around ..25 to .35, motion detection or normal operation. (No difference.) Not sure it would work out well on motorcycle battery for 9 hours. :(

Oh wait no I don't mean to have the camera on the bike for 9 hours - it's a ratty old dirt bike that's going to be dropped many times anyway.

I'll try make more sense than my OP.

I'm after:
-dashcam
-motion sensor
-able to sit in car for 9 hours and not drain battery
-able to be disconnected and attached to helmet

I'm assuming that it doesn't exist? That I should just buy two, a proper dashcam and a proper helmet cam?

I'll try make more sense...

There is a version of the Mobius which allows you to mount the camera on its side and capture 1080p video in correct orientation. You can now mount Mobius on the sides of helmets, guns, poles, roll bars, etc.

image.jpg

A 10000mAh power bank would allow you to power Mobius for well over 10 hours, without worrying about your car battery. A 64GB card would record 9 hours of video at standard data rate in loop-recording mode, which is more reliable than it's motion-detect mode.

Motion detection is kind of spotty. Like Russ said, as long as you are going to the trouble of providing external power, might as well just do normal recording. This kind of adds a new wrinkle to the Mobius suggestion, since you'd probably want to switch the battery to a capacitor for use in the car, but want the battery for use on the ratty old dirt bike. :)
Not impossible, would mean 5-10 minutes of work swapping the cap and the battery, and fiddling with the mobius settings.

There are a few lower end cameras that work well for a car and aren't too expensive, with a capacitor, and the mobius is just plain cool to have, anyway. :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do.
It'll just be so nice to have peace of mind. Car's already been hit once in the work carpark, they broke a piece of trim that I'd spent the last few days painting.
And a coworker had a shopping trolley throw through his windscreen. Who does that?

Thanks again

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do.
It'll just be so nice to have peace of mind. Car's already been hit once in the work carpark, they broke a piece of trim that I'd spent the last few days painting.
And a coworker had a shopping trolley throw through his windscreen. Who does that?

Thanks again
Morons :mad:

Back