Dashcam (Finevu GX33) battery drain and other questions

porotikos

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hi there! First post here, ill try and present as many details as i can, so that you can advice me better.

I have a kia picanto gt line. 2020 model.
i already have an alarm installed. Pandora smart v2. It has am auxiliary battery connected to it.
The battery of my car is AGM 50ah with 560 cca.
I recently installed a dashcam. It is a Finevu GX33.
It was installed in a professional shop that installs alarms and dashcams every day.
The dashcam is connected to the car battery (hardwired).
In general, the dashcam works fine.
BUUUUT. After some time (around a week) i noticed that the dashcam stopped recording in parking mode.
The reason is that the battery cut of voltage threshold was reached.
At first i had it set at 12.4 volts, then at 12.2 then at 12, 11,8 and finally 11.6.
After around 2 weeks of the purchase of the dashcam, no matter what setting i had the voltage threshold in, there was an immediate cutoff.
Now, i never thought that my battery voltage was dropping so low.
i thought that the dashcam couldnt read the voltage properly for some reason.
parking mode was in timelapse and i had the camera leds, on.
If i had the threshold removed, the camera worked fine.
I usually use the car monday to friday for 90 minutes per day. During the weekend there is a chance that i wont move it at all.
So, while the voltage setting was bypassed for 2 weeks i didnt see any problem in my car and believed that the dashcam read the voltage wrong.
i started noticing though that the pandora alarm showed lower voltage that usual. Pandora usually shows voltage being at 12.4, and it started showing 12.1 all the time...

The previous weekend, i happened to leave the car at home for 5 days!!! Needless to say on Tuesday morning, ar wouldnt start. I have a jump starter, started the car left it running for 10 minutes and it was fine. after that, i have used the car for many hours and saw that the battery never really recharged fully. Start stop was working though. The camera (after the battery depletion) was in power saving mode. it was off and would only go to on, if an impact was detected. (Today, start stop didnt work for some strange reason).

Now, i am starting to thing that something is wrong.
Yes, my car battery is 4 years old. But it is an agm, start stop was (apart from today) working fine, i didnt notice anything different in the car's behaviour.
I suspect something must be wrong with the wiring? Can this happen? i feel like there is current leakage and the dashcam draws more current than it should.
The camera in parking mode (found a video in youtube with someone that tested this camera (amongst others) watt consumption. 0.25 amp and 3 watts was the consumption.
So, i did some math. i need the camera in parking mode for 16 hours.
3watt x 16 hours equals 48watthours. Divided by 12.4 volts, equals to 3.8 ah.
i expect my battery being able to use 10% of its charge before i get into problems. 10% of 50ah equals 5 ah. which is much more than what the parking mode needs per day.

So, something doesnt add up.
Either my battery is dead (certainly this wasnt the case 1 month ago, i never use start stop system, and everything was working including start stop. i know that because each time i drive i forget it on and i disable it after it kicks in, for the first time),
or dashcam draws more current than it is supposed to.
Is there something else that i havent thought of?
is it possible that a mistake has happened to the wiring? are there easy mistakes to make? (though the guys i installed it, are professionals).
Can the finevu be faulty? doubt it but you never know...

Is there something else i havent thought of?

I shouldnt need a LiFePo4, battery pack, should i?
Also these battery packs cost more than the dashcam itself. Unless you can suggest a cheap option. a 6ah lifepo4 battery pack would be more than fine for me...

Please guys help me i am desperate.

Ps. the external gps is installed next to the dashcam. is it to blame for some white noise i hear in the videos? or is this to be expected?
Thank you so much

The battery is probably expired now. Car batteries need replacing about every 5 years, and running them down accelerates this.

If you had a professional install, I think it would be professional for them to support the installation.

Thanks. I have an appointment with them on Thursday. Thing is:
Do i replace the battery and then go there to check the installation or do i go there and wait for them to check everything first, before buying new battery?
If they find my battery depleted they might try to charge for their check... But if i get a new battery, problem might not show yet.

I'd ask them. Other people here will have advice too.

This is exactly what I have been trying to explain. Your car battery is not meant to go below 12 volts. Also if you are running parking mode set a timer for 3 hours maximum if you are using motion detection or time lapse. If you want longer use a battery pack. Or use the impact only energy saving mode and then you will not have to worry about massive current draw levels.

Back