Dashcam Journey Animated on Google Maps

Adel314

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello, I have built a website where users can upload their dashcam videos which will display the video along with an animation of the journey on Google Maps. I am still testing, and the site supports the uploading of GPS/GPX/NEMEA data with separate video files, or a Novatek single video file. The biggest issue I have is the testing of all the Dashcam video files that are out there. I have tested the files that I have available to me and it is functioning basically as designed.

But the purpose of this post is to ask it anyone who is interested in the concept to upload videos to test and see which are not supported and to let me know. I am not sure how practical this site is but I thought that I would give it ago. Any help appreciated.

The sites url is http://dashcamroads.com/

Thanks

I am not sure how practical this site is but I thought that I would give it ago.
Not sure what use it is, or why people would bother to upload to it, but it is quite a nice alternative to Google Streetview if you want to go exploring online. I hope you get some interest...

What happens when so many people are uploading to it that you have many videos of the same piece of road? Need to be able to select which to view based on lighting conditions, date/time, image quality, vehicle type, dashcam type...

Yes, there are a lot of "horror" scenarios that I have thought about, but like all the other problems I surmounted I kept experimenting, so funny enough I was thinking about that issue today and my first thought was when I get enough data to experiment with I may have a popup or something like that. I already have a feature where if you select the "draw box/hand" icon at the top, you can draw a boundary box around a section of the road and it will tell you all the routes that are overlaid. That is my first attempt. By the way if you upload multiple video and a journey is formed (ie routes joined together) you can select the individual routes using CTRL Click.

Very cool, thank you for sharing. This would be cool to have if people are sharing their roadtrips and want to share with others what they saw along the way. That could have a use case there!

Thankyou. Others have also suggested that events could also be marked and noted with a pop up as well, very similar to your suggestion.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
That's really cool. That would be quite helpful for people sharing their road scenes they experienced and collect the different moment of the road. That's healing for people who enjoying road scenes and helpful for people who wanna get travelling.

Just a random thought to add, one day it would be great to be able to integrate VR into dash cam footage one day. Just like how technology is integrating travelling with VR for seniors, it'll be very cool for seniors to be able to experience road trips (if it doesn't get them all dizzy/car sick!)

Just a random thought to add, one day it would be great to be able to integrate VR into dash cam footage one day. Just like how technology is integrating travelling with VR for seniors, it'll be very cool for seniors to be able to experience road trips (if it doesn't get them all dizzy/car sick!)
Yes, I am sure it will happen!

That's really cool. That would be quite helpful for people sharing their road scenes they experienced and collect the different moment of the road. That's healing for people who enjoying road scenes and helpful for people who wanna get travelling.
Yes, that last sentence was the very purpose. Thanks

Back