Dashcam needed to help fight vandalism.

Gatherer

Reaction score
Hi all.

Unfortunately, due to acts of vandalism in our area I find myself in need of some extra security.

I, along with a few others, park our cars on an area of no-man's land about 100ish yards away from the nearest house. There are no lights in this area and for a number of years we have suffered from petty vandalism to our cars. Over the last year the level of damage has increased from flat tires and scratches to three burnt out cars and, the latest, paint stripper poured over all the cars bonnets.

Can anybody recommend a dashcam with excellent night/infra-red vision and motion detection that could be used to help capture footage of these criminals next time they're in the area? Any advice given will be gratefully received.

Maybe yourself and the other car owners should try and buy/rent this land from the council or get permission to install on it from the council??

Then you can fit a fence, floodlights, CCTV, barrier, shooting hide etc. Minimum some lights and a CCTV camera I think.

If you have a dashcam in this situation they will break in for it or perform in front of it (dump/number 2 on the bonnet..).

Personally I think a dashcam is a good idea overall but maybe not when the car is in a war zone, it won't armour plate the car.

Park elsewhere if at all possible, report people hanging around to the police (every time - until they do something).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I also agree that a dashcam is not a solution for your problem.
If you dont want to organize a guard (which is may be the best, but also a dangerous solution) I would recommend installing some two or three spy cams in the environment (if possible).
There are some pretty good cams available (i.e. in stores for hunting/fishing). Most have a suitable IR night vision and also motion detection. They are also available with a build in GPRS modem. So you need a SIM card and in case of evidence the cam will sent a SMS.
Biggest challenge would be to place the cam at a spot which covers the whole range and could not be seen.
But anyhow, if the bad boys are masked they are also useless :( .

Regards

Hi Jazzist and FSC830.

Thanks for the advice. We've looking into buying/renting the land and/or installing security; due to the legal situation of the land this is not an option.
I thought of the dashcam option because even though we have suffered damage to our cars, bizarrely, nobody has ever had anything stolen.
Our local police have done what they can, but with no physical evidence and no real pattern to the attacks, there is little they can do.
I'm going through the list of Dash Cam manufactures looking for cams that best suit my needs. When I've narrowed down the list I'll email them and ask what options are available.
In the meantime, if anybody has ideas on a possible solution, let me know.

I think you are looking at it from the wrong angle (pardon the pun) You want a camera OUTSIDE the cars surveying the whole area Not a camera inside one car with a very limited viewing area only in front of the car. To do what you want you would need 4 cameras in a car looking out all 4 ways and have it parked in the middle of however may vehicles there are.

Even then the view would be restricted Only other way is to use a camera in one car backed off but facing all the others with an IR lens to see with.

Not available in a dashcam which must have light to see anything. You should go to a shop selling security cameras and talk to them for a far better solution.
Otherwise you will be wasting money for little or no result.

You can buy, as already said a unit which will ring your cell phone when it detects movement in the viewing area and would seem to be an ideal solution as you could then run out immediately to see who is there

You only need a prepaid sim card with $10 or so on it to operate it.

A hunting cam is what is needed there. Off course you need some kind of pole to mount it on, out of reach for those vandals.

BTW: it would not totally sursprise me if you catch some kids of your own neighbourhood on that footage. Or even worse: some kind of obsessive stalker.

Gatherer said:
Hi all.

Unfortunately, due to acts of vandalism in our area I find myself in need of some extra security.

I, along with a few others, park our cars on an area of no-man's land about 100ish yards away from the nearest house. There are no lights in this area and for a number of years we have suffered from petty vandalism to our cars. Over the last year the level of damage has increased from flat tires and scratches to three burnt out cars and, the latest, paint stripper poured over all the cars bonnets.

Can anybody recommend a dashcam with excellent night/infra-red vision and motion detection that could be used to help capture footage of these criminals next time they're in the area? Any advice given will be gratefully received.

How about placing a $50 note on the dashboard with a rat trap underneath it. LOL.

If placing a dash can on the window they may break in and steal it. Yo could look at a hidden camera which records when there is movement for the front
or rear of the car.

Problem with dash cams is they all have lcd displays on them and they tend to turn on when movement is detected and if a car is getting vandalized and they see this small light come on from the lcd won't they break open the car and take the dash cam. Best option is to get a mechanic to install one in the front and rear of the car hidden away.

And get a dash cam that works well in the night, Many don't. I bought one recently that is brilliant for the night but you may want to get those infrared ones. Maybe buy a sony infrared to record the whole night.

adorfer said:
A hunting cam is what is needed there.
Yes. Attached to a hunting rifle. And a scope.

JasonSE32 said:
Gatherer said:
Hi all.

Problem with dash cams is they all have lcd displays on them

ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT a great percentage of them DONT Where did you get your very uninformed information from.

The better discrete ones dont Some Ebay cheap and nasties do.

If you meant LED's Even they can be turned off completely in models like the Blackvue.

My 3 cant be seen operating EVER by any lights appearing

Back