Dashcam Newbie - What is the G-Sensor and how does it work?

townfan63

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, just had a 412GW fitted at Halfords and wondered exactly what the G-Sensor setting does and what is the best setting to have it on (if at all).

Also recall reading somewhere that on older versions of firmware the settings worked 'the other way around' so Low is High and High is Low. Mine is on R12.4.

Any help/advice greatly welcomed.

Hello and Welcome

The G-Sensor triggers the camera to protect the files should an impact occur. It then gets marked as read only and saved into a separate folder. ach customer chooses which setting they like, I have mine off because I know that I will definitely remove the file before its over written, if you're unsure it would be worth leaving it on but on low/medium.

Not sure what you mean here: 12.4 has ho and low res files, 9.5 didn't, it only had high res. This is done to improve Wi-Fi transfer speeds.

Hello and Welcome

The G-Sensor triggers the camera to protect the files should an impact occur. It then gets marked as read only and saved into a separate folder. ach customer chooses which setting they like, I have mine off because I know that I will definitely remove the file before its over written, if you're unsure it would be worth leaving it on but on low/medium.

Not sure what you mean here: 12.4 has ho and low res files, 9.5 didn't, it only had high res. This is done to improve Wi-Fi transfer speeds.

Hi Tiffany,

Firstly thank you for the welcome and for the reply.

I now understand what the G-Sensor does, thank you.

The 2nd part where I query the settings working 'the other way round' is to do with the G-Sensor settings where I had read another post stating that on older versions of firmware the settings worked the opposite to what you would expect.
I was wondering if this was now resolved.
This is the link to that post:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/g-sensor-sensitivity.2758/

Thanks

Welcome to DCT :)

G-sensor is most useful in parking modes; in driving it can save the file of a crash where you're incapacitated and cannot turn the cam off or save the fie manually. Most g-sensor settings are either to much or too little- they will either fill the card with bumps in the road or won't record small impacts such as somebody opening their door into yours. Based cn the cam's file system type, these locked files may full an entire card rendering the cam unable to record anything or may fill their allotted space not leaving room for the file you need to be saved. Using G-sensor requires that you regularly delete these locked files. Adding that extra effort to the usual erratic G-sensor operation, most dashcam owners leave it turned off except for parking modes.

Phil

Welcome to DCT :)

G-sensor is most useful in parking modes; in driving it can save the file of a crash where you're incapacitated and cannot turn the cam off or save the fie manually. Most g-sensor settings are either to much or too little- they will either fill the card with bumps in the road or won't record small impacts such as somebody opening their door into yours. Based cn the cam's file system type, these locked files may full an entire card rendering the cam unable to record anything or may fill their allotted space not leaving room for the file you need to be saved. Using G-sensor requires that you regularly delete these locked files. Adding that extra effort to the usual erratic G-sensor operation, most dashcam owners leave it turned off except for parking modes.

Phil
Hi Phil,

Thanks for that extra information about G-Sensor, much appreciated.

Is it possible to turn off G-Sensor except for use in Parking Mode? I can only see the options High - Medium - Low - Off.
If I turn it off does that not turn it off altogether? Does that mean Parking Mode will then be ineffective?

Paul

That link isn't for a Nextbase Dash Cam so I'm not familiar with the fault or if it was fixed I'm sorry.

Its not something that has been an issue with our models.

Yes you can - there are two data streams coming from the G-Sensor, if you turn the G-Sensor off it will ignore all triggers whilst driving. It will still accept triggers when parked up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NeepNinja 412GW 8
Tony lovelock 412GW 23
D 412GW 20
Back