Dashcam recording misses a few seconds when dashcam switches from low bit rate to high bit rate recording during parking mode each time

Rocketboy235

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A119v3, G1W-C
Hello all,

So I'm trying to better understand how the parking mode recording behavior works with motion detection.

So I have my parking mode set to low bit rate continuous recording (buffered) in parking mode and I set parking mode motion sensitivity to low (no option to just turn it off) and when it starts recording... it seems like once it detects substantial motion, it will switch from low bit rate recording to high bit rate recording. This sounds good on paper, but in reality each time it switches, it loses 3-4 seconds during that switch which can be critical when someone walks in front of your car and you lose a couple seconds just to switch to high bit rate recording. I rather have it just record low bit rate continuous and have everything recorded versus losing a few critical seconds.

I'm using the latest firmware at the time of this posting.
I am using the latest Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB microSD card.
I am using a regular powerbank (not for dashcams normally) to power the dashcam for parking mode but don't think this should have any effect?

Thanks.

Hello all,

So I'm trying to better understand how the parking mode recording behavior works with motion detection.

So I have my parking mode set to low bit rate continuous recording (buffered) in parking mode and I set parking mode motion sensitivity to low (no option to just turn it off) and when it starts recording... it seems like once it detects substantial motion, it will switch from low bit rate recording to high bit rate recording. This sounds good on paper, but in reality each time it switches, it loses 3-4 seconds during that switch which can be critical when someone walks in front of your car and you lose a couple seconds just to switch to high bit rate recording. I rather have it just record low bit rate continuous and have everything recorded versus losing a few critical seconds.

I'm using the latest firmware at the time of this posting.
I am using the latest Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB microSD card.
I am using a regular powerbank (not for dashcams normally) to power the dashcam for parking mode but don't think this should have any effect?

Thanks.
Parking mode "Low bitrate" has no buffering and no gaps between files.
In this mode, the camera writes constantly at the same low bitrate and does not switch to a higher bitrate.
Buffering is available in parking mode: "Auto-event detection".

Last edited:
Could the A119v3 switch to non parking mode if motion is detected then if it's hooked up to a powerbank? I guess if there is no other explanation then maybe but I am not sure. Anyway to test the dashcam out if I don't have a hardwire kit and don't feel like buying a powerbank made for dashcams?

Could the A119v3 switch to non parking mode if motion is detected then if it's hooked up to a powerbank? I guess if there is no other explanation then maybe but I am not sure. Anyway to test the dashcam out if I don't have a hardwire kit and don't feel like buying a powerbank made for dashcams?
There is a motion record. Recording is carried out only if there is movement in the frame.
The camera may stop recording even when stopped at a traffic light.
But it's not parking mode.

Anyway to test the dashcam out if I don't have a hardwire kit and don't feel like buying a powerbank made for dashcams?
The parking mode works without a set of wires. It is necessary to have a GPS module so that the power is supplied constantly and the parking mode is enabled in the menu.

The parking mode works without a set of wires. It is necessary to have a GPS module so that the power is supplied constantly and the parking mode is enabled in the menu.

Thanks Karagandinez! I see the note at the bottom of the page you linked. I do have a GPS module though it's interesting that it seems to switch from parking mode to regular mode during the times it detects motion (but maybe it could just be coincidence. Maybe I'll need to do more testing). I will need to pay more attention to the GPS speed values each time it switches from parking mode to non parking mode and see if maybe the GPS speed is interfering here :)

Note: It is not a routine operation to use the car charger cable for parking mode, as the camera may switch back to normal mode unexpectedly, or only switch back to the regular mode when your driving speed is over 8km/H (GPS detect speed), which is not as reliable and convenient as using hardwire kit.

Thanks Karagandinez! I see the note at the bottom of the page you linked. I do have a GPS module though it's interesting that it seems to switch from parking mode to regular mode during the times it detects motion (but maybe it could just be coincidence. Maybe I'll need to do more testing). I will need to pay more attention to the GPS speed values each time it switches from parking mode to non parking mode and see if maybe the GPS speed is interfering here :)
In order for the camera to record normally, the motion sensor in the menu must be turned off.
The transition to the parking mode occurs when the parking mode is enabled in the menu, after 5 minutes of the car being idle without moving.

In order for the camera to record normally, the motion sensor in the menu must be turned off.
The transition to the parking mode occurs when the parking mode is enabled in the menu, after 5 minutes of the car being idle without moving.

That makes sense. I forgot to mention that I also have regular motion detection sensitivity set to off but I'll need to double check.

Hey, just reporting back. So the regular motion detection should be off already.

I wonder if there is a way to reach out to Viofo on here and provide feedback. I feel like what they can do to fix this issue (albeit probably a low priority issue since they will defer others to just buy a hardwire kit and/or a power bank made for dashcams) is only look at the GPS if it is connected and not rely on motion detection or any other kinds of detection when in low bit rate continuous recording.

The other issue they can fix instead(and I probably prefer they fix this one instead) is if there is a way to not lose the 3 seconds in between when switching from parking mode recording to regular recording. You would think the buffered recording would retain that information but it seems like it pauses the recording when switching modes. Maybe this is a limitation and is limited by hardware so it cannot continuously record and preserve that data while the firmware switches tasks or something.

Back