Dashcam running on fuse with no power

dfgd

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK. I going nuts. Add-a-fuse on the rear wiper circuit (10 amp wiper fuse and 2 amp dashcam fuse). When I pull the add-a-fuse, the rear wiper will not work; when the ignition is off, the rear wiper will not work. However, the cam (Nextbase 422GW) is constantly powered (and it seems to be recording all the time even though I've turned off "parking mode").

Any ideas?

I'm not familiar with that particular dashcam. Are you using a typical hardwire kit, where you have 3 wires - one ground, one power, one for sensing accessory voltage? If so, where is the "accessory" wire (often yellow) connected?

That being true, I can see why the dashcam is always on. It sounds like it's plugged into a circuit that always has power, even when the ignition is off.

It's possible that the rear wiper will not run with the ignition off, even though the circuit for the rear wiper has power. That's what it sounds like is happening, in fact.

I don't know your car, but you probably have at least one circuit in the fuse panel that only gets power when the key is in the ignition & turned (aka "switched" or "accessory" circuit). You could use that to run the dashcam.

Hope this helps!

I'm using this hardwire kit with the add-a-fuse to connect to the fuse panel. So there is only power and ground.

And here is the Nextbase 422G, FYI. Thanks!
That being true, I can see why the dashcam is always on. It sounds like it's plugged into a circuit that always has power, even when the ignition is off.

It's possible that the rear wiper will not run with the ignition off, even though the circuit for the rear wiper has power. That's what it sounds like is happening, in fact.

I don't know your car, but you probably have at least one circuit in the fuse panel that only gets power when the key is in the ignition & turned (aka "switched" or "accessory" circuit). You could use that to run the dashcam.

Hope this helps!
Ah! Thank you! Thank helps. I could not figure out why the wiper would not work, but the cam is on.

I've found some USA GM cars which had always-hot to the electrical load with the ground being switched in and out by a computer to control it o_O I replaced a perfectly good heater blower because of that; it was getting 12VDC+ power but not running so....

Phil

I've found some USA GM cars which had always-hot to the electrical load with the ground being switched in and out by a computer to control it o_O I replaced a perfectly good heater blower because of that; it was getting 12VDC+ power but not running so....

Phil
Oh no! That's what I think my problem is. Basically every fuse seems always hot on my 2017 Buick Enclave -- seat heating, wipers, radio, amp, etc. Once again, another simple job turns into a weeks'-long ordeal!

Find your radio circuit. It has a switched fuse.

It really depends on the car. In my Ford Fusion, the "radio" always has power, even when the car is off. There was one and only one switched circuit on the cabin fuse panel, helpfully marked as the "accessory" circuit.

Back